BNSF Announces Heritage Program

Littlefoot14

Alright guys, April Fools. :D

But on the topic, heres a few "What-if" Drawings ive made up that could be related to the topic. :cool:

After seeing what NS is doing, I appreciate the UP units more. If I saw the Conrail loco for example I probably wouldn't even notice it was special. Granted I live on the opposite coast and am not that familiar with NS.

What would/could the BNSF do with stylized fallen flag paint jobs, something that couldn't be mistaken for an unpainted loco from a merged road?

Alright, I missed this somehow when it was originally posted, so I was genuinely excited to see the topic! After reading further and realizing I was the unsuspecting victim of a cruel hoax, I'm just totally devastated. You cannot begin to understand the heights of joy that I was experiencing! I was in heaven, thinking of where I would be, of how long I would have to wait before I could actually see one of these glorious creations in person!

Well, maybe I am given to a little bit of hyperbole in this instance (but not too much)! Oh well, you got me! But it's worth it to see the drawing of an SD70ACe in Chinese red. Back to dreaming of seeing the real thing someday! Thanks for the drawing, Littlefoot!

Let's not forget about fans of the NP, SP&S and the Frisco, lest they feel slighted.

By NYSW F45:

They look great on SD70ACe's!! If they were done on GE's i think it would be blehhhh.
How about it Littlefoot? If it's not to much work how about some big GE's in heritage schemes for the BNSF? Especially a Chinese red one.;)

I love these! Thanks for posting them! I especially like the Great Northern one--somebody should paint and decal one of these in HO and then post photos! What would look really cool would be a GN one with the Rocky logo REALLY big--kind of like what UP did with their Western Pacific heritage unit.

After seeing what NS is doing, I appreciate the UP units more. If I saw the Conrail loco for example I probably wouldn't even notice it was special. Granted I live on the opposite coast and am not that familiar with NS.

What would/could the BNSF do with stylized fallen flag paint jobs, something that couldn't be mistaken for an unpainted loco from a merged road?
Actually that is why I like the NS program better. I want more true to original then some of the weird things UP came up with for theirs. I like 1983 but some of the others are just a mess of colors.

A Chinese Red scheme would be okay. But how about a C.B.&Q. "blackbird" scheme? Gray top third, black below and yellow and red stripes separating the two main colors and also on the side sills! White BNSF on the sides. Maybe the current nose emblems, but in white on the short hood?

A Chinese Red scheme would be okay. But how about a C.B.&Q. "blackbird" scheme? Gray top third, black below and yellow and red stripes separating the two main colors and also on the side sills! White BNSF on the sides. Maybe the current nose emblems, but in white on the short hood?
For completness of the original set one would need a GN Big Sky, an NP Canoe, and Frisco Orange & White. Then for total compleness one would need the blackbird as mentioned by trailrider, an SP&S cream unit, the NP Lowey, the NP old passenger scheme, the old NP pine tree freight unit, the old Frisco black & gold, a CB&Q grey back, a CB&Q silver, the Santa Fe Zebra stripe, the Santa Fe original FT frieight blue & cream, the Santa Fe yellow book ends & pin stripe, the Santa Fe yellow war bonnet, and the Santa Fe Kodachrome. If one really wants to go over the top there would be the BNML orange, GN simplified empire builder, BN executive - but there are still so many of those real ones on the line I don't know if they would be worth it, and the Santa Fe original black & green of the Mutt & Jeff.

Last edited by a moderator:
What, nothing for the Burlington & Missouri River? And on and on, since the "Q" was composed of so many short lines. Of course those would have to be painted steam loco colors. Maybe with the short hood in graphite & oil, in place of the smokebox? ;)

it is cool what Iowa interstate,UP and others have been doing. Last week I was out west on I40/I15 and saw many old EMD in the classic silver red with Santa Fe script, even saw some yellow and blue out there all used for helper service I assume. Im not a big SF fan but it was cool to see some still left in the old colors

Back