BN/BNSF GP7u cab help needed

PEIR

Eastern RailNet
I have had a couple of undec P2K GP7's sitting for about ten years now and I decided to make a couple of chop nosed GP7u's out of them. Here is are a few pics of the prototypes

BNSF%201418%205-18-2008.jpg

BN%20GP10%201411_filtered.jpg

BN%20GP10%201407.jpg

There was a company making resin or styrene cab conversion kits a few years ago. Does anyone recall the company and would any of you like to part with 2-3 kits? Another cab alternative that I am looking at is using an Atlas SD24 low nose cab. Has anyone used it for a chop nose P2K geep? How was the fit? Does anyone make the air intake duct work on the cab roof? If not, what could I use to make it?

If those really are GP7s, you'll also need to replace the battery boxes. The stock GP7s have 3 louvers on the battery box covers.

Thanks for pointing that out Eric. I have just started to gather parts so I'll add them to the list.

I also found out that the cab conversion kits were made by Cascade & Pacific Shops around ten years ago and are no longer available so I think I will graft the P2K cab with the front of an Atlas GP38 cab and file the number board assembly down to match the contour of the roof.

you can buy a sd24 cab from Atlas either from there website or on ebay for around $3. Then just take a small strip of styrene and put it in the middle to seperate the middle cab window. I've created chopped nose sd9's with these cabs and they work great on a p2k sd9.

I'm glad to hear that the Atlas cabs fit well. Could you please post a couple of pics of your chop nosed SD9?

Back