BLI versus MTH quality?

But how the MTH product changed in the intervening 8 years! MTH locos (even one from the original BLI GG1 and PA tooling) looked so much better in the end, and especially their passenger cars were great quality. I always said I didn't care even if they were the best in the world, I would still never purchase one because of the whole law suite deal. BUT, now I can get the brand without "supporting" the non-existent company. I'm looking for a set of the Daylight Streamliners.
Yes, I'll grant you that. They had no more, nor no fewer, QA problems than BLI over the roughly 15 years MTH was in HO. I seem to recall that MTH ended up with BLI's tooling, though owned by the manufacturer who lost the litigation with MTH, for the Big Boy. Funny that BLI's version, which necessarily came before MTH's, was a much better performer. Then, with their Paragon 3 debacle, BLI had to repair many hundreds of locomotives of all kinds, and I think I recall that there were significant problems with their NYC Mohawk when they introduced it about eight, ten years ago.

Like you, I didn't like Mike's chippy attitude. He was too litigious for my taste, although I obviously don't know all the ins and outs of those cases...he must have thought it worth pursuing. I was also disappointed in their version of the UP 9000 series 4-12-2 with that ridiculous pivoting drivetrain. But I have seen discussions on forums from some very pleased passenger car owners of MTH rolling stock.

Last edited:
Having own both products I feel I can share my thoughts on the pros and cons of both. To be aware I don't consist my locomotives for the most part so this may make me biased because I am aware that there are issues with MTH's proprietary electronics. Therefore, these comparisons are based on stock components and decoders. Here is how I break it down:

UP Big Steam (Big Boy, Challenger, 4-12-2)- BLI is superior. MTH looks to have used Lionel's early 2000's tooling and it looks very basic including the exclusion of a dynamo.

N&W J Class- Going to have to nudge it to MTH. BLI has had gear issues with their version. Also MTH sounds better with more features and users I have read from say MTH runs smoother and more reliable. Note I have a BLI Paragon 2 version but I have ran it very little so have not encountered issues so far.

Mohawk- This one is a tie. The pros and cons of both even it out based on what is more important to you.

Dreyfuss Hudson- I am going to give it to MTH. They improved upon the BLI version with little features like the underlight by the driving wheels and tender covers the BLI version lacks. It sounds better and I like the passenger announcement features on this one.

Southern Pacific GS4- This goes to MTH hands down. Does not have the issues the BLI version has, looks better, more reliable.

K4 Pacific- This one goes to BLI. I had the original MTH version that broke but not only did MTH fix it they also upgraded the drawbar to the traditional hole and pin giving it way more pulling power than on the original drawbar.

H10 Consolidation- Goes to BLI. An established beast in reliability, features, and pulling power.

USRA Mikado- Another tie based on what is more important to you. Personally I think the MTH sounds better and I like the working marker lights.

Diesels- Depends on what you model and how you operate. I am more of a steam guy. The only diesels from MTH I have are ALCO PA's that I got for stupid cheap (one even being free) and so far they run fine. They look good enough being well aware Rapido just released theirs from a technical point should be superior but I can only speculate. I have a BLI Baldwin Sharknose (Paragon 3) and E8 (Paragon 1) set and they are fine for what they are. If I did modern operations I would only mess with MTH DCC-Ready and put in my own decoders. Since I operate locomotives independent of each other I do not see a difference between the two. To each their own.

So based on what I have wrote, except for the K4, MTH makes better passenger locomotives (based on head to head comparisons from both companies) while BLI makes better freight locomotives. Since I am a steam guy I purchase based on what models are available which is mostly not available across companies unless it is something popular like a Big Boy or a K4. MTH made models that BLI did not make like the Berkshires and Alleghenies. BLI made 2-10-2's, 2-10-4's, unique Pennsylvania standards, etc. that MTH did not. Therefore I am not caught up on politics or who did what. Does this company make what I want? Then I will get it. If I was in to modern diesels I could afford to be picky since everyone and their mother makes them but for steam I don't have that luxury.

Last edited:

Back