BLI versus MTH quality?

A valuable conversation and one I really appreciate. Just as a side note to the one post about their locomotives being new, the locomotives they have on their web page were new in 2009. They are no longer available and haven't been available for years. You would think they would update the webpage at some point. I sent a local hobby shop operator on a wild goose chase until I figured out the dates involved (and he confirmed it with MTH directly). I'm not experienced enough to be dealing with incompatibility issues with DCC, and I sure didn't like being "slapped down" for asking MTH a simple question, so BLI seemed to be the wise choice for me.

Thanks again for the input everybody!

Jeff
BLI definitely has better customer service, and seems to have better repair service, than MTH.
Now, about MTH and their less than full DCC compatibility... It seems that BLI has some issues in that regard, as well. IF you own a DCC system that only does advanced consisting (such as NCE), you will have some rather bizarre oddities with their Paragon 2 decoders. Things like, when you blow the whistle on the lead unit, all the whistles in the consist will blow, unless you go in and change some CV settings on each and every Paragon 2 locomotive in the consist each and every time you change the position of that locomotive in a consist, and then change it back to default when you want to run the engine singly, or in a different consist.
I do still think BLI's decoders play more nicer with most DCC systems than MTH, but be aware neither are without their quirks.

Now, about MTH and their less than full DCC compatibility...

Hi,

I have MTH steam locomotives Mohawk and N&W. They are both full compatible with DCC system. I use NCE powercab.

MTH is much more reliable than BLI. I have BLI Hudson and one day they all got shortcut because of switch. MTH is still alive, BLI decoder is broken.

I would buy only MTH stuff. It looks perfect, the sound is very good and they are reliable.

Hi, I have MTH steam locomotives Mohawk and N&W. They are both full compatible with DCC system. I use NCE powercab. I have BLI Hudson and one day they all got shortcut because of switch. .
What switch are you talking about? you have a switch problem. Please learn your switches and tell us what you have. Inform BLI about your problem they may fix it. MTH have made their decoders more DCC friendly but it still does not make them fully DCC.

There is reply from BLI (2013): "We do not have complete decoder sets (bottom and upper board, and software chip), as we made that engine in 2002-2004 and have long since reverted to repairing individual components."

So, I will never buy BLI anymore...

You can search these forums about turnouts and discussion about dcc friendly turnouts and insulated frogs and all rail frogs and how switch points power polarity is and its proximity to the inside of wheels and the possibility of shorts. This is a switch/turnout issue but can also be a wheel gauge issue. But this would short your DCC system, it might not really effect the engine. You have a lot more checks here to bugger out than just blame the BLI engine. BLI needs to know the problem if any anyways and you will do them a great service to send the engine in and describe why it went bad. It may not cost you a thing. OK?

There is reply from BLI (2013): "We do not have complete decoder sets (bottom and upper board, and software chip), as we made that engine in 2002-2004 and have long since reverted to repairing individual components." So, I will never buy BLI anymore...
they could totally swap in their upgraded designs.....do it.

They could.... ;-)

I put this engine on shelve and forgot about BLI. I don't trust BLI product after this accident. It wasn't about some electric switch problems (insulated frogs etc). It was just derailing on switch and shortcut because of that.

I would prefer to wait a few months to collect money for buying MTH engines instead of buying a cheap stuff like BLI. MTH is the best at the market.

It is my opinion of course.

I have the original BLI paragon N&W 2-6-6-4 I bought it before I had a DCC system as I wanted the engine, eventually I got DCC and it runs fine, later it seemed to perform weirdly. I opend it up, tested checked around and found a bad solder joint, I just heated it up, all is well. Are you good enough to open your engine and test/check things around, do you have a voltmeter? These are all good things to have if you are a model railroader. So often the issue is related to the buyer/maker relationship, but model railroading is more than that, its a skill builder. You could check your engine out and find the problem, or send it in to BLI. I bought a Bachmann 2-10-2 thru an EBAY seller and it had an issue, I contacted the seller, and they exchanged it free. Where did you buy yours? contact the seller too.

They could.... ;-) I put this engine on shelve and forgot about BLI. I don't trust BLI product after this accident. It wasn't about some electric switch problems (insulated frogs etc). It was just derailing on switch and shortcut because of that. I would prefer to wait a few months to collect money for buying MTH engines instead of buying a cheap stuff like BLI. MTH is the best at the market. It is my opinion of course.
go get a different decoder and drop it in. I'm sure Loksound, Soundtraxx etc have something compatible.

you better look at the switch it derailed at. other engines may derail on it. I have had to solve issues on brass engines and I can't send them in to a maker, its up to me to fix. If its a pilot truck issue on the Hudson send it in. Up to you.

Does MTH sell any DCC ready engines? because I will only install my own decoder. Their N&W powatan arrow passenger train actually looks good, BUT I will not buy MTH engines. I was demoed the Little Joe at a hobbyshop, and I went and bought 2 brass versions (already owned one) The Little Joe had diesel sounds, a real "Joe" is very quiet running till you toot the horn.

I spent a lot of hours riding in Little Joes when I was a kid. All you heard was the hum of the electric motors, and not very loud either. Think these people should do a little research.

buying MTH engines instead of buying a cheap stuff like BLI.
That is a funny statement since a lot of MTH tooling was obtained from BLI in the lawsuits. If I recall correctly the Dreyfus Hudson was one of the locos at the center of the whole deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are seriously upset about a decoder in a 12 year old locomotive failing?
I hope you never, ever, have anything break on a car or truck, and try to get the dealer to fix it for you. They will tell you, almost word-for-word, what you say BLI said. Most auto and truck manufacturers will only support their stuff up to ten years of age.

Ummm....this thread was buried eight years ago...? As only BLI is left to do the dancing, and MTH has left the building, it's all moot.

Ummm....this thread was buried eight years ago...? As only BLI is left to do the dancing, and MTH has left the building, it's all moot.
But how the MTH product changed in the intervening 8 years! MTH locos (even one from the original BLI GG1 and PA tooling) looked so much better in the end, and especially their passenger cars were great quality. I always said I didn't care even if they were the best in the world, I would still never purchase one because of the whole law suite deal. BUT, now I can get the brand without "supporting" the non-existent company. I'm looking for a set of the Daylight Streamliners.

Back