BLI Paragon vs Paragon2

What are the differences between the two series of locos? Is it simply sound (the quality or quantity)? Are there differences in the motor as well, or anything else? Thanks for any insight?

I can't speak to the quality of assembly since BLI I think has had two or three assembly facilities over the past eight years. However, in terms of specs, the basic difference is that the decoders in the first Paragon series were invariably first generation QSI, and the decoders in the Paragon II is BLI's own decoder. The new decoder is quite a bit better than the QSI. The fit and finish of the Paragon II's is not appreciably different, neither better nor worse, than the original Paragons. Mechanically, I think the first three or four issues of Paragon II locomotives had QA problems. This would have been between 2009-late 2010.

I have both Paragon and Paragon2 versions of the same locomotive. The differences I see are a little better running quality on the P2 engines, better sound that is more customizeable, and the paint jobs seem just a bit better.
Most QC issues are the same as everybody else, which is hoping the guy in China assembles it correctly, and that guy's supplier doesn't take shortcuts with materials.

I have a paragon C&O T-1 and a 2 paragon2 mikados.

I think they are both good, I actually like the QSI sound for steam engines and it sounds good at high speeds (their diesel sounds are not very good, but that has been beat to death on many forums). I dont like that it is lacking BEMF, have to crank up the speed until it moves, and then it takes off.

The paragon2 sound is also good, motor control is improved and it moves off speed step 1, but I cannot figure out how to turn off the momentum feature. I think the QSI whistle is better.

I have a CSX AC6000CW YN2 #632 in HO that is Paragon 1 and a NS SD40-2 HH #3205 in Paragon 2. I cant tell the difference in fit, finish, or running qualities...all are top notch.

The only difference to me seems to be that the Paragon 2 decoder has more sounds on it. For example, there are functions on there that plays city sounds, country sounds, several animal sounds, and crew/dispatch/automated track radio sounds. There is also a sutopilot feature where you can apparently record a running session and then have the locomotive run it. Ive never played around with that, but it works like that somehow.

I like them both. Amazing pullers bc they are both heavy (esp the AC6000) and silky smooth.

Brad

I have a paragon C&O T-1 and a 2 paragon2 mikados.

I think they are both good, I actually like the QSI sound for steam engines and it sounds good at high speeds (their diesel sounds are not very good, but that has been beat to death on many forums). I dont like that it is lacking BEMF, have to crank up the speed until it moves, and then it takes off.

The paragon2 sound is also good, motor control is improved and it moves off speed step 1, but I cannot figure out how to turn off the momentum feature. I think the QSI whistle is better.

Cv2, 3, and 4 control the momentum on the P2. Set 3 and 4 to 0, and adjust cv2 down until the engine stops when you turn off the throtle. Cv 10 is BEMF on the P2, 1 is on and 0 is off.
I have noticed a slight difference in pulling ability on my Paragon and Paragon 2 Mikados. The P2 doesn't pull as well, as it is slightly lighter in weight.

Thanks everybody. I've got a more specific question now. BLI had an old run of Paragon1 diesels and I was looking at these two...

BLI HO Paragon(TM) Series Diesel EMD SD40-2 - Powered - w/Dynamic Brake -- Norfolk Southern #1641

BLI HO Paragon(TM) Series Diesel EMD SD40-2 - Powered w/Dynamic Brake -- Burlington Northern Santa Fe #6332

So I gather these models should pull and run about the same (but with an initial starting jerk, not the smooth low speed operation) as Paragon2 but the sound may not be as good or have as much variety?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's essentially correct. They made a line called blueline as is my ac6000. I had one of the sd40-2 s. It is a nice engine, pulls well, the sound wasn't that prototypical, but I really liked it. No way I would pay that much for one though, imho.

Brad

Ok thanks a lot. I tried emailing BLI and the retailer where I found those two locos but haven't gotten a reply all week. Not quite sure they would be worth the listed price ($225 each).

Ok thanks a lot. I tried emailing BLI and the retailer where I found those two locos but haven't gotten a reply all week. Not quite sure they would be worth the listed price ($225 each).
MSRP was about $260, give or take. If you do get them, you can contact Norm at QSI Solutions, and he can sell you an upgrade chip to give you better motor control and better sound. Costs about $40 for that.

An old thread but a relevant topic.
I have been analyzing the actual differences between the Paragon/QSI and Paragon2 decoders.

QSI has Disconnect, Standby and Shutdown controlled by F6 & F9 in neutral (zero speed)

Paragon2 has no such feature but does have a ShutDown and Startup toggled by F9 which is two sets of sounds for a steam loco shut down and start up.

I have several P2 locos that I will test out and verify the above information dug out of the technical data.

The loss of the shut down feature will be missed, I liked being able to silence locos in the yard. Although I must admit I've puzzled a number of times why a loco was 'doa' until I punched the F6 key a few times.

Joe Baldwin

Back