Beyer Garratt Articulated loco - video

@ vikramgoel: alright! I didn´t know the BLI K4 also had synchronized puffing smoke. Very well done work! I guess you own the fanciest WP class in HO scale ever!
@ Selector: I must correct myself. I have 4 photos of those peruvian Garratts because just 3days ago I received the "Railways of Peru Volume 2" book, that I was searching for so long. It´s full of 2-8-0´s! Since a few weeks I´m seriously thinking about purchasing the upcoming unlettered die cast metal BLI 2-8-0 and "peruanize" it for the FCC or FCS. Problem is that I would love to have a peruvian passenger train but I can´t find anything that´s close to the typical yellow-orange or white-green passenger cars. And I´m not into self-building. So I still don´t know if I will start this peruvian project at all.
So you haven´t been a tourist there but lived there! Interesting! Are you a Peruvian? In case you´re not: How comes you grew up there? Sorry for being so curious but I´m like that!
Highball,

I have a number of WP Class here are some pictures

Sher-E-Punjab.jpg
7051 "Sher-E-Punjab"
7656.jpg
7656 (Taj Express)
7622.jpg

7622 named 'Vijaya' The victor

7016.jpg
7016 "Akbar"

@Vikramgoel:
Yes, I saw them on your website. The Akbar is based on a German BR 01 or 03 steam loco, right? From which manufacturer?
The Vijaya is based on a Manuta Pacific, right?
But on which model is the Taj Express based on? Couldn´t identify this one...
But the Sher-E-Punjab is my favorite! Not only because of the looks but also because of sound and synchronized smoke. Great!
Would amazing to have a WP pulling the Maharadsha Express in HO scale!!!

Hi Vikram.
Thought you might like to see a photo of two Garratts on the Welsh Highland Railway in Wales U.K.
These are 2ft gauge ex- South African Railways and are heading south towards Beddgelert And Porthmadog where the meet the Ffestiniog Railway which runs Fairley double ended locos.

Two%20Garratts.png

I took this photo about 3 years ago.
A while ago a Mallet tank loco visited Porthmadog so there was the unique sight of Mallet, Garratt and Farlie articulated locos together.
Regards, Colin.

@Vikramgoel:
Yes, I saw them on your website. The Akbar is based on a German BR 01 or 03 steam loco, right? From which manufacturer?
The Vijaya is based on a Manuta Pacific, right?
But on which model is the Taj Express based on? Couldn´t identify this one...
But the Sher-E-Punjab is my favorite! Not only because of the looks but also because of sound and synchronized smoke. Great!
Would amazing to have a WP pulling the Maharadsha Express in HO scale!!!

Highball,

You have a fantastic eye to spot models. I would never have figured it out if I did not have the boxes for them:
Akbar is Trix BR-01
Taj Express is based upon A Bachman Spectrum K4
Vijaya is a Mantua Pacific

Hats off to you. do need to know how you figured it out.

Regards,

Vik.

Colin,
Great shot I knew there were some in operation, do they still operate tourist trains. Garratts are fascinating. Would have loved to see all of them at teh same time, well maybe next time I need to take a trip.

Regards,

Vik.

Hi Vik.
The Welsh Highland Railway is very much in operation and almost all trains are Garratt hauled.
I normally try to visit Porthmadog every year and am going there in early July.
I won't travel on the WHR as I rode on it last year but will ride on the Ffestiniog railway as I have not been on it for some years.
Here is a photo of Porthmadog station where both railways start. This shot is not possible now because a new platform has been addded for the WHR to make operation easier.
This entailed building up an embankment known as the "Cob" and building new platforms for the WHR. Note the haul road in
front of the locos to carry material to build up the embankment.
Before this the WHR trains had to use the platform on the right of the photo before being hauled out of the station by a Diesel so that the Garratt could couple up to the front.
WHR trains depart from behind the camera to the right (North) and FR trains depart to the Left (South)
Shown is a Garratt and Fairlie - note the difference in size !

WHR%20%20Ffestiniog%20.png

Hope you like it
Regards, Colin.

Highball,...

Hats off to you. do need to know how you figured it out.

I don't know about Highball, but I can generally tell the "heritage" of a kitbashed model by looking at the mechanism, any retained details, tender trucks etc.
Mantua models have a specific look to their valve gear, and wheels. I knew that the Punjab, and the Taj Express used PRR K4's for the mechanisms, but couldn't tell the manufacturer, either mth or Bachmann. Looking closely at the Akbar, with it's almost delicate valve gear, & spoked wheels for the leading and trailing trucks, with the piston extensions, as well as some of the apparent detail between the last driver and the trailing truck, that it was a European model, but had no idea who the maker was, Trix? Flieschmann? (I know, misspelled), Jouef? Roco? About the only thing I could say about the maker was it couldn't be Maerklin, as they only make 3 rail locos and their 2 rail equipment is sold under the Trix name.

I'm not that familiar with the European locomotives, but the European steam locomotives have never really interested me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Vik.
The Welsh Highland Railway is very much in operation and almost all trains are Garratt hauled.
I normally try to visit Porthmadog every year and am going there in early July.
I won't travel on the WHR as I rode on it last year but will ride on the Ffestiniog railway as I have not been on it for some years.
Here is a photo of Porthmadog station where both railways start. This shot is not possible now because a new platform has been addded for the WHR to make operation easier.
This entailed building up an embankment known as the "Cob" and building new platforms for the WHR. Note the haul road in
front of the locos to carry material to build up the embankment.
Before this the WHR trains had to use the platform on the right of the photo before being hauled out of the station by a Diesel so that the Garratt could couple up to the front.
WHR trains depart from behind the camera to the right (North) and FR trains depart to the Left (South)
Shown is a Garratt and Fairlie - note the difference in size !

WHR%20%20Ffestiniog%20.png

Hope you like it
Regards, Colin.

Colin.
Fantastic, I need to save your post so I can visit, possibly in 2016. Thanks for the information.
Regards,
Vik.

Carey,

Very impressive. I actually like European equipment (except UK) I think their locomotives and wagons are more to scale and better built. They are sturdier. All of my Indian rolling stock is built on Roco freight wagons. Of the US stuff I like BLI; MTH is good except do not like the restrictions on their DCS system operating on DCC. I have two more K4's one an MTH other another BLI which will be converted to Class WP soon (hopefully)

Regards,

Vik.

@hunslet040:
I never would have imagined South African Garratts operating in Wales! Very interesting move! Who had the idea to bring them to Wales to operate there? Haven´t there been enough welsh/english steamers? Or is it just because of the fancyness?
@Vikramgoel:
Thanks for your words. Well, when you deal with certain models over the years, you automatically develop an eye for it. Although I´m not interested in the PRR K4, Mantua Pacific and German BR 01/03 at all, I can still recognize identify these steamers very fast although it was never my intention with these models.
I also think that European equipment is better built than most US equipment. Especially when made in Germany or Austria. To be honest most US plastic stuff is trash in comparison with European stuff. Also higher priced items like from MTH and BLI have no chance against cheaper European stuff when it comes to quality. They look beautiful from the outside but when you open them up and see the inside and compare it to European engines you will see and understand the difference. Only American brass steamers produced in Japan or Korea are really good and I totally love them although I can´t afford most of them and most of them won´t run through my tight curves. But I like the fact that MTH and BLI (and also Bachmann partially) produce steamers with metal construction. I really hate plastic steamers and only buy them if there is no other chance to get a metal one that is suited for my projects. I will see if I will get myself an upcoming BLI metal 2-8-0 for my peruvian train with Roco passenger cars........
What I really do miss with US manufacturers are metal diesels. I own only a single diesel locomotive by an US-manufacturer: it´s a MTH FA-1. Looks nice but the construction of the model is so cheaply done that it´s by far not worth the price. And I hate the plastic shell/body. All metal would be so much better.
I also don´t like UK equipment. Simply because UK stuff looks very ugly to me. It´s just my personal opinion. Although superb in quality and technique, I also don´t like most German steam locos. Simply because they´re not so beautiful for me. American steam locos always look much nicer and more elegant in my opinion (and are so much more bigger). That´s why I love them so much.
By the way: my favorite European equipment are Austrian and Hungarian steamers from the pre-WW1-era and pre-WW2-era and also Romanian steamers of the pre-WW2-era! In these 3 countries they had some very interesting and good looking engines like 2-6-2´s, 2-6-4´s, 4-6-0´s, 2-8-2´s, 2-10-0´s, 4-8-0´s, 2-8-4´s and 2-12-0´s in Austria (most of them having 4 cylinders), 4-6-2´s, 4-8-0´s and (for european standards) huge 2-6-6-0´s in Hungary and 2-8-4´s and 2-10-2´s in Romania. Problem is that most Austrian engines from that era are available only as super expensive brass models, while there are almost no models at all available of those Hungarian and Romanian prototypes which is because of the poverty and lack of interest in these countries.
Sorry for going offtopic but we already went offtopic with the Indian WP. :cool:

@hunslet040:
I never would have imagined South African Garratts operating in Wales! Very interesting move! Who had the idea to bring them to Wales to operate there? Haven´t there been enough welsh/english steamers? Or is it just because of the fancyness?
@Vikramgoel:
Thanks for your words. Well, when you deal with certain models over the years, you automatically develop an eye for it. Although I´m not interested in the PRR K4, Mantua Pacific and German BR 01/03 at all, I can still recognize identify these steamers very fast although it was never my intention with these models.
I also think that European equipment is better built than most US equipment. Especially when made in Germany or Austria. To be honest most US plastic stuff is trash in comparison with European stuff. Also higher priced items like from MTH and BLI have no chance against cheaper European stuff when it comes to quality. They look beautiful from the outside but when you open them up and see the inside and compare it to European engines you will see and understand the difference. Only American brass steamers produced in Japan or Korea are really good and I totally love them although I can´t afford most of them and most of them won´t run through my tight curves. But I like the fact that MTH and BLI (and also Bachmann partially) produce steamers with metal construction. I really hate plastic steamers and only buy them if there is no other chance to get a metal one that is suited for my projects. I will see if I will get myself an upcoming BLI metal 2-8-0 for my peruvian train with Roco passenger cars........
What I really do miss with US manufacturers are metal diesels. I own only a single diesel locomotive by an US-manufacturer: it´s a MTH FA-1. Looks nice but the construction of the model is so cheaply done that it´s by far not worth the price. And I hate the plastic shell/body. All metal would be so much better.
I also don´t like UK equipment. Simply because UK stuff looks very ugly to me. It´s just my personal opinion. Although superb in quality and technique, I also don´t like most German steam locos. Simply because they´re not so beautiful for me. American steam locos always look much nicer and more elegant in my opinion (and are so much more bigger). That´s why I love them so much.
By the way: my favorite European equipment are Austrian and Hungarian steamers from the pre-WW1-era and pre-WW2-era and also Romanian steamers of the pre-WW2-era! In these 3 countries they had some very interesting and good looking engines like 2-6-2´s, 2-6-4´s, 4-6-0´s, 2-8-2´s, 2-10-0´s, 4-8-0´s, 2-8-4´s and 2-12-0´s in Austria (most of them having 4 cylinders), 4-6-2´s, 4-8-0´s and (for european standards) huge 2-6-6-0´s in Hungary and 2-8-4´s and 2-10-2´s in Romania. Problem is that most Austrian engines from that era are available only as super expensive brass models, while there are almost no models at all available of those Hungarian and Romanian prototypes which is because of the poverty and lack of interest in these countries.
Sorry for going offtopic but we already went offtopic with the Indian WP. :cool:

Highball,

I agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts on models made in Europe. I know of some great model by 'Lematec' & 'Micro Metakit' but they are very very expensive. In my case as I convert most of my locos and rolling stock to Indian prototypes and just use the derive mechanics the body shell is not needed, so I make do with US models.
I have a few Australin models are tehy are pretty good.

Regards,

Vik.

Yes, Lemaco and Micro Metakit is the very best of the best. Look at this one here:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/MICRO-METAKI...60?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item5b13831ee0
It´s on ebay Germany. A beautiful Austrian 2-10-0 from the pre-WW1-era with 4 cylinders, built in Vienna for the Imperial Royal Austrian State Railways. I would LOVE to have it but that will remain a dream of course. Auction started at 1190 € and as you can see the price is increasing...

Did you remove the K4 boiler for the Sher-E-Punjab totally and replaced it by the custom made boiler we can see in the pictures?

Yes, Lemaco and Micro Metakit is the very best of the best. Look at this one here:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/MICRO-METAKI...60?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item5b13831ee0
It´s on ebay Germany. A beautiful Austrian 2-10-0 from the pre-WW1-era with 4 cylinders, built in Vienna for the Imperial Royal Austrian State Railways. I would LOVE to have it but that will remain a dream of course. Auction started at 1190 € and as you can see the price is increasing...

Did you remove the K4 boiler for the Sher-E-Punjab totally and replaced it by the custom made boiler we can see in the pictures?

Highball,
That one is out of my reach.
For the bashed locos boilers were removed and rebuilt, also as most Indian steam locomotives had a 'split cab' where the cab area extended from the loco proper onto the tender; this required adding a roof to the tender on the loco side. Basically the outside structure is completely rebuilt.

Regards,

Vik

I noticed that. Why did Indian steamers (not only the WP class) have split cabs?

India did not have Mechanical Stokers and used manual fireman to shovel coal. This required a shorter distance between the firebox and the tender. The split cab was developed to handle this. Another reason was light load capacity of the rails which required shorter engines, split-cab helped in this. This practice was a carried on to later steam locos like the WP or WG. The WP was an Indian designed loco but first 16 units were made by Bladwin, next 100 by Montreal Loco works, Another 180 were made by Montreal in Poland and Austria and the next about 250 were made in India.
Regards,

Vik.

Back