Beveling camper top tape?

Beachbum

Can camper top tape be beveled? Saw some at my local Ace and I'm considering trying it for roadbed, but I'm wondering if profiles have to be built up with caulk / ballast / etc.

Thanks.

I'm not entirely sure I'm familiar with what you're talking about. Are you referencing some kind of single or double stick foam insulating tape?

http://www.amazon.com/API-LDTT200F-Topper-Mounting-Camper/dp/B002TYATWY

:confused:

Seems like beveling something like that would be MASSIVELY time consuming. There are cork roadbed products that don't have beveled edges and I think people just build it up with excess ballast gravel? Caulk could work too but that sounds messy to me.

It also might not be as flexible as you need. But totally worth a shot. It could also be that it's too soft / squishy.

I'd say grab a roll and see what you can do. Try it in lots of configurations before planning to use it on an entire layout. Wouldn't want to get part way through the project and realize it just won't work for some important space you hadn't tested first.

camper tape

im going to try it . 5.71 for a 30 ft roll 1 1/4 wide from home depot . ive read where other people have used it sucessfully . i will try to razor cut it if necessary when i do roadbed . may not be necessary to cut .
mike.

If you do end up cutting it, cut it before you take the paper backing off. That'll keep it from sticking to your razor. :)

That's a good point. You'd have to be fairly careful with it. Though the cheap cork I used tended to crumble and snap too easily. It wasn't soft enough.

I got a damaged roll of rubber 1/8 sheeting from work. With it not being so thick I did not tapper the edges. I made templates curves and my turnouts.

That stuff is 3/16 and most cork road bed is 3/16 or 1/4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back