Best way to cut off skirts on plastic HO scale passenger cars?

Highball

Hi guys,
I just realized today that out of the 3 Rivarossi coaches and 3 Rivarossi sleepers of my brand new Canadian train, 1 coach and 1 sleeper is skirtless while the others (as well as the diner) have skirts (look at the pic to see the difference). I don´t know why it is like that but obviously the previous owner did some cutting by himself. Since the prototype cars were also delivered without skirts, I would like to cut off the skirts of my remaining cars too in order to make them look more prototyoical. I´ve never done such a thing before, so does anybody of you have an advice how to do it in the best way and what tools to use?
DSCN1210.jpg

I'd separate the body from the floor and carefully cut them off with a razor saw by slowly and repeatedly cutting along the groove ( flute ). Alternately with a steady hand and a new sharp Xacto blade repeatedly score along the groove. Whichever method, once the skirts are removed smooth the edge with a flat file or sanding block and then touch it up with some paint. Floquil Platinum mist or aluminum might match close enough not to be a problem since it will be on the underside edge if the removal was neat enough.

Thanks for the advice! Sounds good! I think that will take quite some time but should be a nice result then.

Back