best paint to use

Our WalMart has never had trains but they do have a model department that has the Testor's starter airbrush set that comes with the propellant can and some paint. Like I said, it's about $25 and I wouldn't buy one when the Badger is available for the same price. They do sometimes have a good selection of diecast HO scale vehicles and will periodically put them on sale for 50 cents each. Way better deal than buyig them off e-bay for $5 plus shipping. :)

I had a bad experience using compressed air when I painted my last diorama. The air flow was inconsistent which caused the paint to spatter. Hooking my airbrush up to my compressor fixed the problem. I would not recommend compressed air.

I painted one locomotive with a Badger starter set. I wound up spending a week striping the paint off and that "paint sprayer" went into the trash.

I've had the opposite experience. I used the Badger starter set and air cans for the first year I was in model railraoding in the early 70's. Maybe the Badger quality has declined since then but, since it's a single action gun, you do have to pay attention to thinner/paint ratio, setting the nozzle just right, and not spraying enough to ice up the can. Cleaning this type of air brush is vital to getting it to work well the second time you use it. If you have more time than money and are willing to spend some time reading the instructions, this type of air brush can still do a decent job.

Josh, we have 2 walmarts around here. 1 beeing super walmart. I'll hit up both and see what they have.

Josh, we have 2 walmarts around here. 1 beeing super walmart. I'll hit up both and see what they have.
Psh, I have no less then 15 within 50 miles, and I'm willing to bet, this year, none of them have trains. :( The store I work in part time, the toys manager says the only trains she saw were the "Big Hauler" plastic G scale trains. :(

I had a bad experience using compressed air when I painted my last diorama. The air flow was inconsistent which caused the paint to spatter. Hooking my airbrush up to my compressor fixed the problem. I would not recommend compressed air.

This is a typical problem that develops as the air is discharged. The can cools and as the "gas" cools it gets denser in the can, and it looses pressure.

The trick to using the cans, and I bet Jim is aware of this as well, is not to spray continuously. Use shorter "burst" of air. If you're painting a loco, instead of painting along the body (front to back), paint top to bottom (up and down), using shorter strokes of the airbrush and shorter bursts of air.

The can will stay warmer and last longer with little or no pressure loss.

Psh, I have no less then 15 within 50 miles, and I'm willing to bet, this year, none of them have trains. :( The store I work in part time, the toys manager says the only trains she saw were the "Big Hauler" plastic G scale trains. :(

dam 15.

i thought I had read somewhere that walmart occaisionally has a few ho sets from tiem to time. i dont remember where i saw it.

Back