"Best" N-scale EMD/GE DCC diesels: Run DC-only w/Kato Soundbox?

Armor Yellow varies greatly per locomotive in the real world. The only time I would worry about it is if I had a matching set of E or F units.
Some of the early Kato SD45s had inconsistent paint on each engine. Kato painted the side sills separately from the main shell and cab, and sometimes all were slightly different shades.

BTW, Klein moves stuff pretty fast, if you see something you want, and it's in stock, grab it then. The GP60 was in stock when I posted the link, after being out of stock, and now is out of stock again.

Thanks for the info! I'm just expecting the Bachmann UP-yellow I just ordered to be "off" and the Kato and Walthers to be more "on." Yes, I noticed that! If by Klein, you mean ModelTrainsStuff, I saw the inventory change quite rapidly. In a panic, I grabbed to the "last" DDA40X Big Boy, and then all of a sudden, there were six more. What I don't see is even an out-of-stock listing for the digital versions of the Atlas Master Line B30-7s (MTS' site only shows the analog versions which are only $20 cheaper). They're quite a bit more at another online vendor for the DCC-version, and Atlas' online store does still show them "in-stock." I wonder if should wait, or buy from the higher-priced vendor?

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATED LOCO INVENTORY:

Now, I should be more period-accurate
with a stable of SD45s, SD40s, GP35s, and especially with the recent addition of the GE AC4400. I bought both new and used locos from highly-rated eBay sellers, and was able to get my preferred roadname:

1. Kato GE AC4400 (x1):
Southern Pacific "speed" logo.
Kato SD45 (x2): Southern Pacific "speed" logo.
Kato SD40/40T-2 (x2): Southern Pacific Roman-typeface logo.
4. Atlas GP35 (x6): Southern Pacific Roman-typeface logo.

I was elated to find brand new (new old-stock) Kato SD45 SP locos for $79.95 each. The 100%-rated, multi-thousand reviewed seller describes them as, "p
urchased direct from Kato, USA. New in the box, with detailed parts never opened and never installed. New! New! New! New! New! Brand New!!!" So, I'm assuming they're actually new.

Since Union Pacific acquired Southern Pacific in 1996, most SP locos I'm informed have been "patched" with UP road numbers (I finally saw a modeler's example of this and now know what you mean!). So since I'm running "un-patched" SP locos, I guess my railroad, strictly speaking, will be pre-1996. However, I'm probably going to freelance the period a bit and still use present-day signage.

The Atlas GP30 was originally made by Kato for Atlas back in 1992 or so. The state of the art for making body shells improved between then, and when Atlas made their own B30-7.
As for decoders, Atlas decoders are very easy to install. Simply unscrew the frame halves, remove the light board, place the decoder where the light board was, make sure you have contact from the motor to the contact on the decoder, and screww the frame halves back together. The shell should slip off the frame with a little coaxing.

Thanks for the info! So, you're saying that the Atlas Master Line analog locos are in fact DCC-ready? A simple plug-n-play decoder install? I wonder how difficult a dead-rail conversion would be with an N-scale loco (assuming I'm placing the battery in a large, empty piece of rolling stock).

Well, thanks to eBay, I now have a ton of Southern Pacific locos! I just bought a GE AC4400 whose prior owner performed a UP "patch" to the SP road number. Looks pretty cool. This will be the lead-engine to the two brand new SD45s. I got the additional SD40/SD40T-2 mainly because they had the Roman-typeface SP logo. I also ended up with a ton of GP 35s, some or all of which are older Kato/Atlas builds and aren't DCC-upgradeable (I'm running at least two independent mainlines, and am definitely going analog). Looking forward to getting two Kato Soundboxes!

Well, thanks to eBay, I now have a ton of Southern Pacific locos! I just bought a GE AC4400 whose prior owner performed a UP "patch" to the SP road number. Looks pretty cool. This will be the lead-engine to the two brand new SD45s. I got the additional SD40/SD40T-2 mainly because they had the Roman-typeface SP logo. I also ended up with a ton of GP 35s, some or all of which are older Kato/Atlas builds and aren't DCC-upgradeable (I'm running at least two independent mainlines, and am definitely going analog). Looking forward to getting two Kato Soundboxes!
For the GP35s, you can use the TCS GN decoders. They are in two parts, one for each headlight connection, with simply two small wires to solder to the motor. It's been a while since I've done any, but I remamber they were extremely easy to do.

For the GP35s, you can use the TCS GN decoders. They are in two parts, one for each headlight connection, with simply two small wires to solder to the motor. It's been a while since I've done any, but I remamber they were extremely easy to do.

Really? That's great to know--thanks! Actually, the main reason I would want to perform any DCC-conversions is so that headlights stay on without any throttle. Still contemplating whether I'll be running the railroad permanently at dusk (I'm half-thinking of building a backlit Duratrans-like photographic backdrop). I just received two of my Atlas N-scale GP35s today. Both say "made in Japan" on the bottom and came in clear Atlas boxes. Some initial thoughts:

1. I knew N-scale was gonna be small, but this is small!
2. GP35s in N-scale seem longer than my Athearn GP35s in HO.
3. I don't know what exact models these are in the Atlas line, but they look great!

Much better detail than I was expecting. The handrails seem bigger in pictures. However, at normal viewing distance they look pretty good. One loco is missing its horn and its illuminated road numbers (the seller did mention this, and was priced accordingly), and the other loco is older, but both look very clean. No N-scale track yet, so I can't test. I just ordered some Labelle 108 light-oil and some cleaning stuff, but these locos look pretty good as-is. I'll post some pictures later. I kinda went loco-crazy and sort of over-bought. I knew this new hobby was gonna be like smoking crack . . .

atlas-gp35-1.jpg

atlas-gp35-2.jpg

atlas-gp35-3.jpg

For that missing air horn, Kato's air horn will fit without modification. Kato U30C, C30-7, SD40 and SD45 air horns will all fit, if you can't find an Atlas air horn.

Thanks again, Terry!

You're welcome, again. If you decide to replace the Accumates on the Atlas engines, the MT replacement is the 1015/1016 coupler kit (or whatever the updated part number is).
I spent decades collecting and running N, even though I now have HO.

Thanks, Terry! Yes, the coupler situation . . .

• x3 Atlas GP35s received with knuckle-couplers already installed (one GP35 is an older-vintage, has the more neutral-gray shell).
• x2 Atlas GP35s received with Atlas Accumate couplers.
• x2 Kato SD45s received with factory-installed "Rapido" couplers.

I found an online video which recommended Micro-Trains' #2004 couplers for a Kato SD70 (which I don't own) since he said these, and certain "other" Kato shells, are "under-height," according to the Micro-Trains' gauge he used. He also said to use the Micro-Trains #2003 coupler the Kato GE AC4400 (which I should receive next week), since the 4400 has "standard-height" coupler pockets. According to the Micro-Trains' site:

Micro-Trains' body-mount conversion kits:

Atlas GP35-series: #1015/#1016
Kato SD40: #2001
Kato SD40-2: #2004
Kato SD45: #1015
Kato GE AC4400: #2003/#1015

Regarding the difference between the #1015 (short-shank), and #1016 (medium-shank) couplers: I found this document. Not sure what the difference is between the #2003/#1015 couplers specified by Micro-Trains for the GE AC4400. The 4400 I bought is coming from a skilled modeler (this is the "UP-patched" SP loco I mentioned), and I can see from his eBay photos that he's already installed a set of knuckle-couplers (one less loco to convert!).

There were some Kato engines that were designed under-height, because Yuji's people made an error when they measured them. They measured with the models sitting on a table, and the difference in height is the thickness of the wheel flanges. Those are the ones that need the underslung couplers.

Thanks, Terry! Yes, the coupler situation . . .

• x3 Atlas GP35s received with knuckle-couplers already installed (one GP35 is an older-vintage, has the more neutral-gray shell).
• x2 Atlas GP35s received with Atlas Accumate couplers.
• x2 Kato SD45s received with factory-installed "Rapido" couplers.

I found an online video which recommended Micro-Trains' #2004 couplers for a Kato SD70 (which I don't own) since he said these, and certain "other" Kato shells, are "under-height," according to the Micro-Trains' gauge he used. He also said to use the Micro-Trains #2003 coupler the Kato GE AC4400 (which I should receive next week), since the 4400 has "standard-height" coupler pockets. According to the Micro-Trains' site:

Micro-Trains' body-mount conversion kits:

Atlas GP35-series: #1015/#1016
Kato SD40: #2001
Kato SD40-2: #2004
Kato SD45: #1015
Kato GE AC4400: #2003/#1015

Regarding the difference between the #1015 (short-shank), and #1016 (medium-shank) couplers: I found this document. Not sure what the difference is between the #2003/#1015 couplers specified by Micro-Trains for the GE AC4400. The 4400 I bought is coming from a skilled modeler (this is the "UP-patched" SP loco I mentioned), and I can see from his eBay photos that he's already installed a set of knuckle-couplers (one less loco to convert!).

The 2003 is a 1015 coupler in a 2000-series draft box. I believe the only reason to use one on that AC4400 would be that it might more closely fit the coupler pocket. I've personally just used 1015's where a 2003 is called for and haven't had any issue. I think the only thing you might have to watch for is just making sure the 1015 is straight and not cocked to one side or the other, but I have to do that on pretty much every Atlas I convert anyway as they do have enough play to let the coupler twist to the side of you let it.

Your AC4400 may have the original Kato knuckle couplers. Those may work okay for you, but I've had problems with them not wanting to play nice and hook up to MTL couplers without some outside encouragement. You also just can't get a coupler that's better than MTL in strength. I've completely given up on Atlas Accumates at least on locos, because they always fail before long if you put together a long train or even just when your locos in a consist get any strain going between them. I've still got quite a bit of rolling stock with the original Atlas couplers, but I also find a new failure on a fairly regular basis and end up swapping the trucks out with MTL as they present themselves as problems.

Final bit of advice: You can get pre-assembled 1015's, but they are more expensive, and the other couplers will not be pre-assembled. I would HIGHLY suggest you get the Micro-Trains assembly jig to help you put together those couplers or you'll be in for a lot of frustration. It's delicate enough trying to put those tiny parts together when you have a purpose-built jig holding everything firmly in place. Without it you'll be chasing a lot of microscopic springs all over the place.

Hey, Mike! Thanks for that detailed post! I finally got my GE AC4400 (what a beauty!), and it has a set of knuckle-couplers with no shanks (I'll post a picture later). Yes, I'll definitely be opting for pre-assembled couplers. Thanks again for all the info!

Back