Best model train scale if you have a cat?

I have this one year old spayed female cat that likes to sit on my small n scale layout and block the passenger train. She is adorable, but she keeps knocking over my delicate DCC and sound equipped trains. I am in the planning stages of building a larger room sized layout, but which model train scale should I use if my main concern is preventing my cat from easily tipping over a train car? I like HO scale because that scale has the most supplies available, but I might have to stick with O scale trains because they do not seem to derail or tip over easily. I would go with G scale, but my room is not big enough for that.

Regarding my cat and when I play with my trains, I have been giving her calming supplements that makes her less aggressive and destructive.

I have this one year old spayed female cat that likes to sit on my small n scale layout and block the passenger train. She is adorable, but she keeps knocking over my delicate DCC and sound equipped trains. I am in the planning stages of building a larger room sized layout, but which model train scale should I use if my main concern is preventing my cat from easily tipping over a train car? I like HO scale because that scale has the most supplies available, but I might have to stick with O scale trains because they do not seem to derail or tip over easily. I would go with G scale, but my room is not big enough for that.
Lock the cat out of the train room. A cat can knock over a G-gauge train almost as easily as N. My friend put a screen door on the train room to keep the cats out.

Kitties get bored, and a train of any scale is entertainment for them. This was two minutes after I set up a little oval test track.

Attachments

• Smudge.002.JPG
    Smudge.002.JPG
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 77
O scale trains are pretty resilient, the older heavy steamers anyway.
I'd think anything smaller won’t hold up to giant kitties.
Trains are my calming supplements that makes me less aggressive and destructive, as long as things go my way!

You don't decide your model scale based on the size of your pets !! Build your MRR and keep your cat out of that room !! Even if you had trains a cat couldn't knock over you still don't want their hairs all over the rails...

Probably 1:1 scale would be fairly resistant to cats.
3' 0" gage might be big enough! Seriously, if you have DCC with sound, maybe a loud horn signal sounded every time she climbs on the table would train her to stay away! Otherwise, shut her out of the room. I put a kiddie gate up at the entrance to my train room, mainly to keep my little dogs from stepping on a loose nail or something.

I've always trained my cat(s) to stay off the table, and he's never gone up on my train layout.

He's occasionally gone up to the kitchen table or counter after food left out, but he knows he's not supposed to be there. I've never caught him but I've heard him hit the floor when he hears me coming near the kitchen.

As far as cats go I have found that a squirt gun works wonders. The best way to not have a cat on your layout is to not have a cat.

Mike

Assign the cat to track cleaning duty and she won't come near the layout again. 🤗

Actually, I kept the door closed when I had the peril of cats.

Our male cat gets interested when the sound engines are running. Never gets on the table but watches from a chair. Strange thing though he didn't come down till I ran the Chessie engines.

Back