Best Hobby Shops on the Web

Im upgrading some of my locos and recently placed a couple online orders. Kudos go out to great service, good prices, and fast shipping to Ulrich Models and RailMaster Hobbies. Both sites have the added bonus of having a wealth of 'how-to' knowledge on DCC.

I just got my order from them yesterday & had just ordered it Tuesday.:D

Unfortunately there's a bit of water between them and me, so mine takes a couple of weeks by USPS international, but the care in packaging (well padded) is exceptional and they are quick at their end.

I recently received an Intermountain ES44AC from them which had 1 wiper missing and 1 bent and they got straight on to it. I have found their postage prices to be better than others in most instances (this could be because of relative location in the US vis-a-vis Aus, not sure). For instance I am now just waiting on a NCE DCC starter set (I can't afford to buy all at once and we get hit with taxes on imports of over about $1000 in 1 go), MBK's price was about $US14 more for it than another USeBay (Jim'sTrains) seller but when postage was added in, it came out $10 ahead.

I was recommended MBK by local club members.

Did my first few orders with trainworldonline.com recently and wondering when they say order status: delivery does that mean its already being sent to me?

Did my first few orders with trainworldonline.com recently and wondering when they say order status: delivery does that mean its already being sent to me?

Haven't used them myself, easiest to give them a call, Ph#'s are on their home page.

I'm gonna give modeltrainstuff another plug here. I'm just about to order some more stuff and sent an inquiry about Trucks N Stuff HO rigs. Got an answer back this morning from Micheal and he'd gone to the trouble of asking his associates in the office to get me the answer I needed, That's what I call customer service.

The attitude of the people running trainworldonline.com is disappointing and rude won't be using them again and the way they process orders is terrible compared to the local South African online sites, they threw a tantrum when my 2 SA card wouldn't work on their site.

I will try the other websites you guys suggested on first page for my orders or my south african sites (even if they more costly).

Last edited by a moderator:
The attitude of the people running trainworldonline.com is disappointing and rude won't be using them again and the way they process orders is terrible compared to the local South African online sites, they threw a tantrum when my 2 SA card wouldn't work on their site.

I will try the other websites you guys suggested on first page for my orders or my south african sites (even if they more costly).

I've actually visited the place once while visiting NYC on a vacation. The staff were aloof and rude. Every hobby shop I have been to in the US and Canada had socially inept staff except for one place in Miami where the staff were friendly and loved to demonstrate how trains operated on their store's layout. I now don't care if staff are rude or socially inept as long as they take back a defective item, the prices are reasonable, and are well informed on what they sell. I can't stand a hobby shop where nobody knows much about the products they sell.
As for online shopping, I've dealt with companies that sell specific model railroad accessories with no problems. I've ordered from Brasstrains.com and Overlandmodels.com once and was very satisfied with the product, delivery, and service. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to buy from them as often as I would like.

I've actually visited the place once while visiting NYC on a vacation. The staff were aloof and rude.
Every hobby shop I have been to in the US and Canada had socially inept staff except for one place in Miami where the staff were friendly and loved to demonstrate how trains operated on their store's layout. I now don't care if staff are rude or socially inept as long as they: take back a defective item, have reasonable prices, and are well informed on what they sell. I can't stand a hobby shop where nobody knows much about the products they sell.
As for online shopping, I've dealt with companies that sell specific model railroad accessories with no problems. I've ordered from Brasstrains.com and Overlandmodels.com once and was very satisfied with the product, delivery, and service. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to buy from them as often as I would like.

I've actually visited the place once while visiting NYC on a vacation. The staff were aloof and rude.
Every hobby shop I have been to in the US and Canada had socially inept staff except for one place in Miami where the staff were friendly and loved to demonstrate how trains operated on their store's layout. I now don't care if staff are rude or socially inept as long as they: take back a defective item, have reasonable prices, and are well informed on what they sell. I can't stand a hobby shop where nobody knows much about the products they sell.

Thanks for feedback thought it was just me :D will check out the sites you mentioned

I need to visit Miami when I visit USA again, only been to Boston/New York

Thanks for feedback thought it was just me :D will check out the sites you mentioned

I need to visit Miami when I visit USA again, only been to Boston/New York

I think Overland now sells more than brass.

I got this little bulldozer from them last year.

Cheers

I think Overland now sells more than brass.

I got this little bulldozer from them last year.

Cheers

nice looking bulldozer what scale is it? I am using HO and thinking of trying N maybe put them together in garage, still got to build the base to start it off.

nice looking bulldozer what scale is it? I am using HO and thinking of trying N maybe put them together in garage, still got to build the base to start it off.

It's HO scale made of pewter.

If I had the space of a garage, I'd go HO scale.

Here's a shot of me in SA visiting years ago:

It's HO scale made of pewter.

If I had the space of a garage, I'd go HO scale.

Here's a shot of me in SA visiting years ago:

Cool where in SA? (I would guess Howick Dam Railway Museum, but probably wrong) we have a few old steam loco's by us here in Natal, I love steam rides.

I will probably do an HO L shape just trying to find a layout which suits me, since so far none seem to interest me that I have found.

Cool where in SA? (I would guess Howick Dam Railway Museum, but probably wrong) we have a few old steam loco's by us here in Natal, I love steam rides.

I will probably do an HO L shape just trying to find a layout which suits me, since so far none seem to interest me that I have found.

At a pulp mill south of Durban.

You might have to create something from scratch for a layout plan. You may even get some great suggestions and help from forum members.

Some topics are always timely, and I guess where to buy your trains is one of those topics. I've done my homework, know what I want, now I need to buy it.

I've revisited an old train store in Westmont NJ called "Sattlers". My brother is 10 years older than me, and he took me there in the 1960's, I was born in 62. As I'm getting back into model railroading I found it a unique experience revisiting and supporting Sattlers, a model train store whose value is far beyond the inventory on the shelves. It is now run by a long time employee who I thought was old when I was a kid. I'll pay a little extra for service and have been buying turnouts and track from him so far. As it turns out the only DCC system they sell is the MRC, and thats because it is the only they fully understands and can explain to their customers. Its more of an old school train guy place.

BigB mentioned the Modeltrainstuff.com retail store. That comment was useful. It so happens their price on the Digitrax Zephyr is the best I ever found and was on my list for potential online retailers. I live in Southern New Jersey, and it turns out that their retail store is just under 2 hours away, and not far from the B&O museum in Baltimore. Maybe I can squeeze out a half day somewhere and give them a visit. I'll feel more confident buying my dcc from them though, and at the best price.

This forum is a great help to me. Thanks.
Rich

Jim's Model Trains

Just placed my second order with Jim's Model Trains. Very easy to use website, accept paypal as well as cc's, inexpensive $4.95 shipping. Great for DCC, specialty circuit boards, and signals.

I played hookie from work today and made a trip down to the retail store for ModelTrainStuff.com .,The retail store is called M.B. Klein and is just outside of Baltimore on the western side. There is nothing like personal service. I was on the fence between then Power Cab and the Zephyr. The nuances between the two were laid out for me by Fred at M.B. Klein. The drive alone was worth the advice and the filling of the knowledge gaps. These guys have earned my business... I'll post info about my system choice in another thread regarding my dcc decision process…

I stopped by the B&O museum on the way home. The round house is an incredibly impressive structure. Neat place. It is a new structure, but it would not be hard to imagine it as a greasy, noisy, smelly shop where real tough guys kept the loco’s going.

The civil War era trains were very interesting. They have vintage stuff that goes back to the early 1800’s, literally a stage coach with a truck under it!

Back