Best engine for pulling power for 18" radius curves?

That's why I deliberately did NOT include my Proto2000 SD50, which would tear off not only the paint, but the sheetrock as well!

I have a Proto SD60 that is the same way. Not surprising since other than the body they are pretty much the same. It is the heaviest diesel in my fleet.

Thanks every one, seems like I may have gotten a little overly nervous for not much reason.

I don't have the CMX Car yet, so I can't test any of my engines with it; however, in hindsight that is probably the most logical way to do it. And Louis, according to the website, the minimum radius for the AC6000 is 18". I too would like to hear from someone who has 18" curves and also runs an AC6000, just to make sure.

Thank you Tony.

All of my HO diesel locomotives are BB wheel arrangement. I would love to have an HO AC 6000 but I have 18" curves for my HO diesels. I do have a Lionel AC 6000 (my avatar) and she only runs on O48 Lionel track or bigger, I guess that is the equivalent of 24" HO track, but that is only a guess.

Rodney told me he had some troubles with the CC wheel arrangements and 18" curves so I followed his advice and stay with BB wheels. No big loss, GPs are some of my favorites anyway.

I do have 22" for my HO Acela, but she won't share her track unless of course I get an HO GG1, I should say when I get a GG1.

To some it may seem like a strange little world I live in, but I am happy :)

By the way I have to tell you I have named my railroad; The BGR. I liked your idea so much it inspired me. You suggested the Bruette Grand Railroad, and I went with the Bruette Goofy Railroad. It seems to fit just right! Thank you Tony!

Getting back to your topic, I would try what I already have before buying something just to push a cleaning car. Unless it is something you want any way, but I am cheap, sometimes.

Louis,

I am a little sceptical of what the manufacturer suggests as well. Like you, I'd like to get some first hand thoughts on running a 6 axle loco on 18" curves. Even if they will run, the over hang might be too much. That doesn't concern me in terms of realistic running, more that my scenery may interfere with it.

Am really glad you have named your railway and honored that you liked my suggestion of BGR, whatever that stands for :)

As for being a little goofy, aren't we all? I mean a bunch of mature adults playing with trains, you probably really have to wonder :)

From what has been said, I am going to wait to receive the CMX and see how what I have handles it. As Iron Horseman said. one GP-38 should push/pull it implying that two would certainly push/pull it. While I don't mind spending money on something that I love, I also don't like wasting money or spending it needlessly. Who knows, I might just see something that I can't live without that is calling my name :)

I have a BLI UP AC6000 that I am running on my 18" radius oval test track. I have zero problems with it in the curves. Of course, it does look like a large loco in a tight corner, but other than that it has no problems. I would add, out of the box it is one of the loudest locos I have, and also has one of the most realistic horns of all the sound locos I have heard. The detail is very nice, as well as the lighting. After I broke it in, I throttle'd it up just for kicks, if it helps any, it sure is faster than all my other DCC locos, which may also contribute to pulling power. It is by far the heavisest on the track, but I do not have many other locos that large.

Thanks every one, seems like I may have gotten a little overly nervous for not much reason.

I don't have the CMX Car yet, so I can't test any of my engines with it; however, in hindsight that is probably the most logical way to do it. And Louis, according to the website, the minimum radius for the AC6000 is 18". I too would like to hear from someone who has 18" curves and also runs an AC6000, just to make sure.

number9,

Thank you that is good to know. While I am predominantly a Steam guy, I like the AC6000 if for no other reason than it is available in an Australian livery - BHP, and looks tough.

Thanks for the info and you just might see one "trundling around" my layout one of these days.

Tony, for me being goofy is a source of pride.

Now that I know have Australian friends I see we have another thing in common. Like Americans, the Australians I know have a desire to be individuals and that is a great thing. Maybe, hopefully it is some thing all humans share.

As for playing with my toys, I love it! I believe if a man silences the little boy inside he will suffer from the loss. I make no bones about my toys, I am proud of my toys! No matter if I paid $800 or $50, no matter how realistic it is, it is still a toy and that is fine by me.

Number9 thank you for your first hand knowledge of the BLI AC6000. I am very intrigued about the volume, my only complaint with some sound locomotives is they are not loud enough. I have added the BLI AC 6000 to my ever growing wish list.

I wonder if I am too old to write to Santa?

I would be remiss if I did not mention the fact that , yes my BLI AC6000 pull very well and they will work on 18" curve all 4 of mine needed to be sent back to BLI to have the trucks modified as they didnt to go over turn outs at lower speeds. The 2 BLI sd40-2s i have didnt need to be sent back and pull very well and the AC6000 now that i have them back???? well 29 ore cars and caboose up a 3.5% grade and i am only on speed step 12 out of 28.Lastly i did run mine on a temp track w/18" curve and they work but I think you will find a 22" or bigger to be more to there liking. No matter what you deside I would call company and ask them if they think that locomotive is ok on that tight of curve? Most (BLI being the acception) will tell you stick locos that have 4 axles not 6. Anyway hope this makes sense and helps somewhat?

Yard Master,

Yes it all makes sense and I believe you are right when you say that the majority of companies will tell you to stick to 4 axles engines.

Right now though, I am going to wait for the CMX to arrive and try my GP-38/s to start with and see what happens.

Thanks for the info though, appreciate your honesty.

No worries friend. If can save someone from the mistakes ive made and i have made alot in getting started in this hobby I am glad to do so.

disregard my previous comment. I just noticed that it was to pull a cleaning car.

There used to be a cleaner that was self powered- maybe MDC?. I always wondered if they were any good.

Last edited by a moderator:
An old school great was the Bowser PRR H9. It could pull tons and do a 15" radius. Kits can still be found on that site we don't mention.

An old school great was the Bowser PRR H9. It could pull tons and do a 15" radius. Kits can still be found on that site we don't mention.

Thanks y3a and I don't deal with that unmentionable site anyway, but an engine worth looking out for at a swap meet or show.

Tony, as was said earlier, you could always get one of the old "Super Powered" Athearn BB F-7's. It was just a regular F-7, with a huge weight in it. Can be found at swap meets & trains shows cheap.

Carey,

Thanks mate. I actually have the Athearn F7A/B that I bought from you from the estate sale. Just having a couple of issues with it at the moment though, which I can hopefully fix with help.

Thanks for the advice Carey, appreciate it.

Just for fun, I threw the AC6000 on an oval track on the carpet and took some pics from what I perceived to be the "worst" angle to exacerbate the overhang of the engine over the tracks in a turn.

I also wanted to clarify, when I said it was the loudest, I meant from the DCC sound. If I turn the sound off, this is actually the quietest, smoothest running engine I own. I would also say that I never had any problems with it, other than one ditch light that was out (but I purchased it refurb/used). BLI quickly fixed it free of charge. Did I note this engine really makes you happy when you run it? It sounds and acts just like a real one.

Here is the AC6000 on some trashy track on the floor. Note, I put the packing foam back on when it goes in the box, and I did not take it off for the pics.

20141117_191953.jpg20141117_192021.jpg20141117_192133.jpg

Tony ,as i stated b4 my test track was "18 and had no issues save the fact because the locos R so heavy they would lift of the frogs (both peco & atlas) I sent back and BLI bent the trucks now smooth as glass. Depending what you want I might be able 2 one of mine at a fair price depending on the rd name you want?

Since I'm modeling The Los Angeles Junction Ry & they have an 85 degree curve (10" R HO) laid some at that radius. Ran an Atlas 4 axle ALCO & Athearn CF7 + 40' boxcar. There were no problems going either direction. But couldn't do that w/ a 50' boxcar!

Back