BC Rail subdivision in progress

Hi,
Thank you for the comments.I missed something like this longrun on my first version of the lower level....

It´s been some time snce I posted last time about progress on my layout....But I´ve made some little progress...Had some trains running the whole tracks up to Dawson Creek and back and all worked out fine....Had some fun switching the several spots in Dawson Creek And the Lumber Mill on the lower level.I started to search for a name for the small village on the lower level..Any ideas for a name are very welcome... I also made a minor rebuild to some benchwork on the upper level,because I wasn´t happy with the construction and look of it....Now it´s made from plywood segments and looking much better....Track was down for some testing and will be permanent glued down on some kork this week...But first change was the small business warehouse in the right corner on above the TV.It will be replaced with some structure made from Pikestuff walls and left over parts of the red wing floor mill kits.I found pictures of a structuremodel like that on the internet and thought it will be a perfect fit for that corner.
05.03.15%2B-%2B1

09.03.15%2B-%2B1

10.03.15%2B-%2B1

As you can see I´ve switched some cars for that business....It will get hoppers and boxcars....
Next on the list was the row of elevators around the corner.Had the structures in front of the benchwork and the track for switching behind it....was no good deal because of the hight of the layout....so turned the scenery around,elevator to the back and track to the front.And changed the look of the two buildings and additional structures.....
09.03.15%2B-%2B5

10.03.15%2B-%2B5

09.03.15%2B-%2B4

And finaly here is the "end of the line" Industrie area on the last part of the layout.The structures are not final,still playing around with the placement of them....
10.03.15%2B-%2B7

10.03.15%2B-%2B9

10.03.15%2B-%2B6

10.03.15%2B-%2B8

And some final pictures of the G.E.R.N. Industries Limited complex with some car´s spotted to the loading areas.
10.03.15%2B-%2B4

10.03.15%2B-%2B3

10.03.15%2B-%2B2

I also started a blog on my layout build on blogspot : http://dawsoncreeksubh0.blogspot.de/
I will do it in German and English but have most of it started in German.Have to do the English part soon before it will be to much to write...
Feel free to comment and visit the site.

Thanks for looking,any comments and ideas are very welcome.

Cheers,Chris

Hi there,

It´s been a while since my last post.....time is running fast ;)

I made some progress to my layout with finishing the wireing in the yard area (Dawson Creek Yard).I also finshed the tracks on the eastend of the Dawson Creek industrie area and found names for all industries based on real names of companies in Dawson Creek.So let´s follow the tracks east from the new trackwork in front of the station at Dawson Creek.
02.04.15%2B-%2B1

more space between the tracks.I moved the structures a bit to the back of the benchwork.

following the tracks east we will enter "downtown" Dawson Creek.First spot will be Diamond Fertilizer plant & storage with 2 carspots for hoppers and boxcars
Dawson%2BCreek%2BIndustrial%2BDistrict%2BEast%2B-%2B1

Next will be the big G.E.R.N. Industries Limited complex with it´s truck loading/unloading facility ( non railserved)
03.04.15%2B-%2B2

and the mill and elevator complex with max 6 spots for hoppers at the elevator and 2 spots for boxcars at the millbuilding
10.03.15%2B-%2B3

You´ll leaving the west downtown district going around the curve over the liftout and you´ll enter a small yard where are two elevators in the background and the interchange track with the NAR/CN in front.
The wooden elevator will be an Alberta Wheat pool elevator and the other will be United Grain Growers elevator.On the elevator track can be spotted max.7 cars (Hoppers and Boxcars) and on the interchange track when finished about 4 to 5 cars max.
03.04.15%2B-%2B3

Around the last corner there is Prarie-Coast Farm Supply & Equipment in the rear corner right to the street.This company once was railserved.You´ll see the remains of the track lurking out of the concrete in front of the building if you´ll look closely....okay,not really now but when it´s finished you´ll see it....
04.04.15%2B-%2B1

Last two spots at the end of my layout world are Wrights Food Service LTD. with to tracks in the background and a teamtrack in the foreground.I´ll mount a backdrop on the left edge of the layout.The teamtrack is served by a gravel road coming from the street on the right.
Inside Wrights you can spot 4 ´40 Boxcars or 3 ´50 Boxcars.The track in the front is for switching and storage,the Teamtrack could hold 3 cars max.
04.04.15%2B-%2B2

The building with the windows is only a mockup,I´ll scratchbuild another structure for Wrights with some truckdoors (maybe 2 or3)at an angle...

I think this whole area will be a lot of fun to be switched....Here is my trackplan of this last part of the layout....
DawsonCreek%2BGern%2BIndustries%2B%26%2BElevators%2BVersion%2B5.04b.jpg

Thanks for looking,and any tips and comments are very appreciated.

Cheers,Chris

It is a lot to take in all at once, but everything looks great to me! Thanks for updating your thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,
thanks for the kind comments.Had a small Operating session with a friend of mine last weekend and we had a lot of fun. So things are coming together and the start of some scenery is coming in sight....more progress will follow,soon....

Cheers,Chris

Keep the photos coming. Sure is nice to finally get to start running trains.

Hi there,
thanks for the kind comments.......Any comments and tips or ideas are very appreciated.

montanan,is it okay to show some videos of running trains?:)

There´s not much to report because I made some Loco programming and testrunning with a freind of mine.
I made two short videos running a short trains with a consist of two Atlas Dash 8-40B with factory installed sound. First video is on the upper level on top of the helix with the farm in the background.
https://youtu.be/Z7r5ruwGP7w

The second video is on the lower level in the small village called Cold Creek just in front of Lukes Gas Station to the left
https://youtu.be/t8pBzy_tbw0

During my sessions I found out that I have to add two turnouts in the Dawson Creek yard as a runaround...This will be changed,soon...and the other thing is the change of the location of the yard for the lower level.It will be no more on a shelf around the corner with another liftout piece of wood.Instead it will be part of the sundance siding and will sit between the wall and main with 3 tracks...one for departure and two for arrival...Here´s my Anyrail plan for that...
Sundance%2BSiding%2BLower%2BLevel%2BFinal%2BVersion.jpg

And first tests laying down some track...I`ll cut the wood for the three yardtracks and install it in three pieces...the longest track is as long as the longest yard track on the upper level. So this seems to be the last change for now....maybe one idea I have for the upper level but that´s another story and not worth to talk about...
IMG-20150423-WA0010.jpeg

IMG-20150423-WA0012.jpeg

So that´s for now....you may think I´m crazy and you may be right....but that´s okay for me.... :dumb1: :dumb1: :dumb1: :dumb1:

Cheers and have a nice weekend,

Chris.

Progress is being made, that's the important thing. This is going to be one heck of a switching layout. I see one possible problem with Dawson Creek West, no run around track.

I liked seeing your trains running on the videos. Thanks for putting them up. I am not used to seeing Canadian trains.

Everything is looking really good!

Hi there,
Thank you for the comments.

Finally I made some progress on my layout and all the new trackwork is done and tested. As you´ve seen in my last post I reworked the siding on my lower level and added three staging tracks to it. I installed BluePoint switches and installed them on my bench.That was a lot easier than crawling under the layout and wire all the switches etc. I have only done the connections to the buswire under the bench. :D
30.04.15%2B-%2B1

After that I installed the piece of plywood on my benchwork,glued the korkroadbed and installed the track and turnouts. Made the connections and tested the trackwork.All worked fine and I could run some trains....So I´ll call it done for now.
finished%2B-%2B2

20150502_000352.jpg

IMG-20150502-WA0007.jpeg

Next step was to change the tracklayout on the Canfor planer mill around the corner. I wasn´t happy with the woodchip loading track next to the millbuildings and the loading tracks for lumber are far away from the buildings. I decided to remove one track and flip the other tracks. Now I have the woodchiploader farthest away from the mill to the front of the layout, next will be one of the tracks for loading lumber ending under a shed and the last track also for loading lumber. The shed will be scratchbuild with a concrete ramp inside. There will be a lot of lumber stacks around the buildings and under the shed,the track next to the mill will be on streetlevel and filled with concrete,the rest of the ground will be earth and fine gravel. I´ll remove the blue foam and install some 10mm plywood. 2mm kork will be glued to the plywood and track will be glued on top of the kork.
20150502_201343.jpg

Entering the mill from the new build Sundance Siding.The track in front will simulate the mainline to Chetwynd.It´s long enough for two engines.I´ll add a rounded piece of plywood in the corner...
20150502_201349.jpg

20150502_201356.jpg

20150502_201402.jpg

I hope to get some time to buy the plywood this week and install it here.....for now I´ll cal it done.The track is wired and tested and some switching could be done on the mill....

Last part of the update is only changing some buildings at Dawson Creek West....I wasn´t really happy with my decision to add the large Silocomplex in the middle of that section. Instead of that I´ll go with to Walthers Silos (still one to build) and some smaller structures to the left of it....First is a before picture,the second is how it will look now.
03.04.15%2B-%2B2

IMG-20150503-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20150503-WA0003.jpeg

I like the new look much more....So let me know what you think about my changes.Any ideas,tips and comments are very appreciated.

Thanks for looking,
Cheers,Chris

Nice, I have CN, CP & BC rail equipment. I've been keeping them in boxes for the last few years & would love to do the rail yards around Kamloops, BC, Canada (only a couple of hours north where I live).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good Chris. A lot of progress. Thanks for the updates.

....................................... Chet

Hi there,

here´s a short update on my layout.I´m back into structure building or better scratchbuilding and kitbashing. First I started on the additional structures for my G.E.R.N. Industries complex. The loading shed is made from styrene and some Pikestuffparts glued onto the white plastic.I´ll add a corrugated metal roof and two walkways with ladders and some more little details...Behind the shed I added an addition to the elevator house from made from leftover metalsiding. I found some pictues online showing the prototype version of a similar structure....Still a lot to do on this strutures.
08.05.15%2B-%2B2

08.05.15%2B-%2B1

The second structure I started with was for Wright Food Service Ltd. It will be scratchbuild from styrene sheet. The truckramp is also also scratchbuild...have to add the front and roof....also still a lot of work to do.....;)
wreight%2Bfood%2Bservice%2B-%2B1

More progress will,soon....

Cheers,Chris

Hi there,
thanks.....
I made some progress on two of my current projects. First one is Wreughts Food Service LTD. I added the additional buildings. I´ll add another structure to the roof of the bigger structure with the truckramp.I´ll also build a base for the structures to rise them to tracklevel...
20150512_001957.jpg

12.05.15%2B-%2B3

12.05.15%2B-%2B2

20150512_001836.jpg

The other project is my G.E.R.N. Industries complex. Worked on the millbuilding and changed one wall,added a roof extension.The walls for the extension are scratchbuild from styrene sheet....

21.05.15%2B-%2B2

21.05.15%2B-%2B1

21.05.15%2B-%2B6

More progress will follow soon. I will paint the Mill complex Tamiya Desert Yellow and add some weathering later.Doors and windows will be painted green matching the G.E.R.N. logo and the metal sidings will be painted a metal color.......
Wright´s will be painted a light grey,white roof on the building with the tracks and fine ballast for the other flat roofs. Doors and windows will be painted blue...So that´s my plan for the next time....more progress on those structures, adding a blue sky to the backdrop,painting trackwork etc.....

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,Chris

That's some nice work. Years back when I roke down and started scratch building, I was a bit intimidated, but after a few structures were completed, I realized how easy it was and always looked forward to the next project. Looking good.

Chet

Hi,
Chet,thanks for the kind words. You´re right,it.s always nice to see a structure or other small details develop from some pieces of sheet or profiles....I made a lot of scratchbuilding over the years. Most of it was 1:25 scale trailers for US trucks and other stuff like that...I have so many ideas for things to scratchbuild and /or kitbash....

Cheers,Chris

Hi,

after I had some small op sessions during the last few weeks I found out that the new part on the lower level with the grade and the bridge is a bit to steep....so I made a redo of this part and also widened the curve so it will work much better for longer cars....I´ll insert the bridge later after some more testing of the trackwork.....First pictures shows the old track with a template in front of it as a comparsion.
01.06.15%2B-%2B6

Second one with the ne track layed out and the bridge behind the new track....
01.06.15%2B-%2B1

01.06.15%2B-%2B2

The second update is the last big project on the layout...It´s for the Planer Mill scene on the upper level just in front of the entrance into Dawson Creek Yard. First I have planed to build the Mill on the back of the layout with the main in front of it. But it was a bad solution for a good reach for uncoupling and switching....so I thought about a change of the scene and moved the mill to the front and the main to the back.
Here is my drawing made with Anyrail:
Upper%2BLevel%2BRoom%2BA%2BV1.0.jpg

I ripped off the old track and roadbed and started the new trackwork. All the cork is glued down now and track is layed down. I have to wire the tunrouts and install the Bluepoints and will be ready with the last big wood and trackwork...I have to buy three more sheets of 3mm plywood for the backdrop and have to mount it....I´ll start to paint it light blue soon and I think this will change the whole look of the wooden empire ;)
Here are the pictures of the work I made. The Walthers Sawmill will be kitbashed for the Northwestern Wood Preservers planer mill and the other structures will be scratchbuild.
20150613_221543.jpg

20150613_221550.jpg

20150614_164038.jpg

20150614_164049.jpg

20150614_164053.jpg

The two tracks with the boxcars will be inside the millbuilding. There will be no problem with reaching over the buildings and I´ll leave the backside of the building open....More progress with some trains running will be follow,soon.

Thanks for looking.Any comments and tips are very welcome.

Cheers,Chris

Back