BC Rail subdivision in progress

Part 2 of the update
I started the last section of phase 2.Track is going south to Dawson Creek interchange with the CN...there will be only a few buildings and a lot of nature....corkbed is glued in place have to glue down the track and add the feeders.Background is installed and have to painted.
I added a liftout in front of the door.Here are some pictures
RIMG0581.JPG

The track will curve to the right side to Dawson Creek station.
RIMG0582.JPG

the liftout..
RIMG0586.JPG

RIMG0588.JPG

Now I´m able to place some of my favourite structures to the layout,a gasstation,a diner and a small scrapyard with used and rusted cars and other things...
I made some small chages to this section and laid tracks around the edge of the room into the other one and made the benchwork for the Dawson Creek interchange above the TV.
before the change
RIMG0612.JPG

and after
RIMG0643.JPG

New place for the Fred & Red´s Cafe
RIMG0641.JPG

curve around the corner with some rough foam scenery
RIMG0642.JPG

and into the other room for the interchange.It will be a small two track yard and some warehouses etc.....
RIMG0636.JPG

RIMG0635.JPG

RIMG0637.JPG

The interchange will be used for an just to buy GP9.that will be decaled and painted in NAR colors...there will be rolling stock from CN and some NAR.I`ll use it for staging and it will be the connection to the rest of the world on that side of the layout....So I´ll be able to run some other rolling stock than only PGE/BCR...
Track was laid and power is up to that point.I got some trains running all the way up from Chetwynd to Dawson Creek interchange without any major problems.
Played around with some structures and rough scenery.There will be a short two track yard in front of the window build as a liftout.
Left side there is the Walther sunrise Mill with some Silos
RIMG0681.JPG

RIMG0685.JPG

Maybe I´ll cut the Silos into two and add a second spur for unloading grain to the elevator in an closed shed.
one the right side there will be an Grain elevator with some surrounding buildings...
QpwmtzIm0ciLk60w7i6sE1rOjX0j2abBtZkyYaay-eA=w792-h594-no

RIMG0696.JPG

In the background there will be three of the Walthers Parkview terrace background flats and in the front ther will some soon to be named industries
RIMG0696.JPG

OkFVudUPf22mN-RvxKrmMjrMYI2y7whMPuOJpzVr8kQ=w792-h594-no

RIMG0679.JPG

And here is an overall view of this section...I´ll build a small removable two track staging to the left in front of the window...
FTPhGuk3cWqK4T0gZsJWUlZs4Ru4EHyHIWiAZG39Zps=w792-h594-no

javqToSwqm_H8zPUtIiuA1QbA0z5vNd6L5_40PeLLuE=w792-h594-no

RIMG0689.JPG

So that´s all for now,I´ll hope to start with some scenery ,soon.
Any tips and comments are very appreciated...

Regards,Chris

Hi there,

I haven´t found much time to work on the layout because of a lot of business work..
I´ve planned a small N-scale switching layout on four modules but I stopped that.I´ve just bought the plywood for the modules and build them up...
so why not use them for a final extension for my layout itself....So here it is....the last post shows the Dawson Creek Interchange as it showed up in April.....I changed some structures and put a second track for the millbuilding in...
RIMG0718.JPG

20140509_222055.jpg

RIMG0701.JPG

The track turned to the left over a small liftout in front of a window and to the final section I mentioned above...
So here are the pictures of the new added section...
Left the liftout to the right of that structure...you can see the corner of it
20140525_124648.jpg

The mainline will head on straight to the wall and end there...it´ll be some room for staging....hidden by buildings and trees or something like that...left spur heads behind some buildings to a farmers coop and a lumber dealer...structures in the townscene will be form Downtown Deco,Branchline,scratchbuild etc...here are the pictures
20140525_124658.jpg

20140525_124705.jpg

20140525_124713.jpg

25.05.14+-+2

So this is the arrangement how the structures will be placed..I just started some base landscaping with modur foam but have to take pictures of that this evening....with that addition I´ll have some more place to store some rolling stock on the layout....

Another smaller change will be pictured in the following posting

the other change I did to the layout was on the lower level in the small corner in front of Chetwynd yard.The problem there was that it had no room for trains going through the yard heading south to Vancouver...I thought about building a small modular stagingyard to connect with the mainline located to the left in the following picture
RIMG0424.JPG

But it doesen´t work because I have extended the layout to the other room as you´ve seen in the previous post.So the former mainline is now the tofc track and the former spur to the right is now the mainline...
h6wqH5x9jUWLm6fmiLLGLzUJYzTsONcF6u_bzO92y0c=w928-h696-no

tofc ramp in front,in the back the track with the engine is the main....
RIMG0708.JPG

I´ll build a fold down piece with track on it used for staging behind the boxcar and the switcher....
I also rearranged some of the buildings in this townscene.The water tower is gone and two new structures are placed....
RIMG0705.JPG

Here are some more pictures..
RIMG0713.JPG

RIMG0711.JPG

RIMG0712.JPG

RIMG0707.JPG

I think this part will give some nice photolocations with finished scenery...
Please tell me what you think about the changes and also any other tips or ideas are very welcome.

Thanks for looking,
Regards,Chris

finaly made the last feeders for the mainline and could now run trains around the whole layout.Have to finish the wires for the rest of Dawson Creek yard,but I hope to finish this the next days while it´s raining all day long...next rain is expected later today,so no outdoor work....
Also made some progress to Dason Creek Interchange and started some rough landforms and put in some trees to get a feeling for that place...
20140709_165305.jpg

20140709_165314.jpg

20140709_165322.jpg

20140709_165331.jpg

20140624_173910.jpg

Also had some fun with some trains going from Chetwynd to Dawson Creek and switching some cars on the interchange "yard"
Doing that found out that I had to smooth out the curve on the liftout section in front of the door so yust ripped of the track and reworked that thing
20140709_034135.jpg

20140709_034141.jpg

20140709_034148.jpg

Regards,Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
so after some final rearranging of some structures I think I´m ready for scenery on that section of the layout...I changed the tracks to the feed mill and the other industrie, relocated the elevator.Have to glue the track to the ground and add some wires to the tracks.Started with cutting the background wood and will install it,soon...
29.07.14+-+4

There will be a backgroundbuilding on top of that yellow foam with some fence around it...
29.07.14+-+6

29.07.14+-+5

Feedmill and elevator...the signs on the wall will be removed...
29.07.14+-+7

the opposite side of the mill complex...
29.07.14+-+8

New location for the wooden elevator.
And two more pictures of the final arrangement of the structures on the liftout section and to the left of it
29.07.14+-+3

the empty space between the houses in the background will be filled with a walthers house my 8 year old son will be building..
29.07.14+-+2

I have a removable background piece of wood for the liftout....

So that´s all for now....Most trackwork is done in the Dawson Creek yard...made some testrounds and all worked fine...
any comments and tips are very welcome.

Thanks for looking,
Regards,Chris

Well, they say a pictures worth a thousand words, I think you're writing the MRR version of War and Peace, but more entertaining.

Looking very good! I rode the Carribou/Prospector up to Prince George, back in 97. BC Rail was an interesting railroad.

You have a lot of nice deep scenes and the fascia makes it look so much better!
Love the truck collection in the pics, reminde me of Promo Tex just south of here, their walls are lined with displays!
I'll get some pics next time I am down that way...

It's looking good. It's nice to have a town and details on a layout. Makes it look like an active town.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent work on your layout. Youve got a lot of switching, which is something I love but also a lot of scenery to create a spacious feeling. Nicely done

Looking very good indeed and I have to ask, the lights that you have beneath the over head shelf, what are they and how bright are they? I am wanting to light my layout from directly above as well.

Hi there,
thanks for the nice comments on my layout.Yes I love those trucks and while I was building the bigger scale I run out of place.So I switched to H0 scale a bought a lot of trucks and other vehicles....Then I started building a diorama for some of the trucks and finaly decided to build a modelrailroad....;)Made some testruns last week again with some switching and when I looked at the clock two hours where gone with a lot of fun....Had a 7 day workweek with alot things to do and still 2 hours to go but then will have a week of more free time and also some spare time for the layout.So progress will follow...I´ll start with installing the backdrop on the last section of the layout first and also start some groundcover etc....let´s see how it will work out....
Tony,those lights beneath the shelfs are LED- Strips I bought over Amazon.They have 60 LED´s per Meter and the are only white LED with Trafo and remote control...that are those strips I bought;http://www.ledstar24.de/LED-Strip-T...-Strip---Trafo/-1624-2083-2145-2560-2563.html I hope this will help.I have to buy some more of those strips and also on power supply for all the strips...so there will be some wireing to do for those strips.

Regards,Chris

Hi there,
I´m very busy with my job so it´s so little time for the hobby.But I made some progress during the last weeks with some changes.

I made a small change to the Dawson Creek Interchange section of the layout....I added 12 cm to the front of the shelfs to get more room and decided to build a row of elevators as it is seen on older pictures of Dawson Creek http://knowbc.com/limited/Books/Encyclopedia-of-BC/D/Dawson-Creek
I´ll build three of those elevators.Maybe kitbashing from Walthers kits and some scratchbuilding.
12.08.14%2B-%2B5

26.08.14%2B-%2B4

26.08.14%2B-%2B3

And I started a more or less big rebuild of some part of the layout.The area I´m talking about is the Tremblay elevator and siding....
RIMG0746.JPG

below that area and the helix was a return loop with a hidden siding but it doesen´t work right.So I made some plans to develop a 6 track staging below Chetwynd yard.The entrance to that yard will be the loop below the helix.So I ripped the track out,removed the wood and made some changes to the benchwork.
RIMG0846.JPG

RIMG0847.JPG

20140909_170414.jpg

On top of it will be another change.No more elevator and other buildings.It will be Sundance Siding.More pictures will follow as I´ll make more progress....

some progess on the scene with some foam scenery and also tested running a train to the end of line...worked out nice and I think it will be looking nice when the scenery and lights are in.
08.10.14%2B-%2B4

08.10.14%2B-%2B5

08.10.14%2B-%2B7

08.10.14%2B-%2B8

Y4tBHRx12cNgMQ21frd7npnFZyMGSQvdeZFhrPoioHE=w1330-h748-no

next I´ll have to paint the backdrop and go on with scenery.

while I was waiting for the plastercloth to dry on that portion of the layout I started to develop a solution for my southend staging problem.....
First thing to do was to remove the small townscene around the corner of Chetwynd....
RIMG0754.JPG

I made a small plan with Anyrail to for a more prototype scene with the large Planer Mill....
Chetwynd%2BPlaner%2BMill%2BV2.jpg

http://binged.it/1t5dPhsThis is a link to a bing photo of the area...
Started to lay down some track and spread some buildings around to see how it will look and I think It´s okay....
Here are the pictures of the mill scene spread out on blue foam with some tracks and buildings
21.10.14%2B-%2B3

21.10.14%2B-%2B2

And this is a picture of the changes of track on the south end of the yard.To the right there will be the small two track off scene south end staging.More on that later....
21.10.14%2B-%2B5

And some of the buildings of the town moved to this place...will be a nice scene with a good view down the road later with a lot of cars and people and details....so someday....
21.10.14%2B-%2B4

21.10.14%2B-%2B1

Sorry for the quality of the last pictures,I made them in a hurry before I went to work today.

That´s all for the moment,more later,

Any comments are very appreciated.
Thanks for looking,
Cheers,Chris

It looks like you just cut out and formed some cardboard to make the grain elevators.

Thanks for bringing us up to date on your layout!!! lasm

Hi there,
yes it was great to run some trains again after all that remodelling....
lasm,yes,the grain elevators are cut from cardboard and will be covered with scale lumber clapboard siding.

More updates will follow soon I hope....

Cheers,Chris

Hi there,
with some delay I´ll post some progress on my layout.I made a change toand new arrangement to the elevator scene.First I made a drawing with Anyrail for the changes.Here´s the picture of th drawing.
Dawson%2BCreek%2BElevators.jpg

The elevators where placed on the right side of the three benches.I think now it looks much better with more place between them and some additional structures around.Also this will catch more of the prototype look....The end of the tracks will be hidden with a roadbridge and some trees...A small downtown scene with stores,gasstation and farmequipment dealer will also be there.
04.11.14%2B-%2B5

RIMG0856.JPG

RIMG0857.JPG

RIMG0853.JPG

RIMG0859.JPG

Around the other curve there is the mill complex and another industrie with some structures...I´m not finished with this scene and will play with those buildings....but made some pictures of it...
RIMG0859.JPG

RIMG0861.JPG

RIMG0863.JPG

RIMG0864.JPG

04.11.14%2B-%2B1

So the industrie in the last picture is the one that needs some finetuning...don´t no what kind of company it will be,maybe lumber or hardware or both of it....
Next part will be mounting and wireing the track,adding a fascia and starting with some rough groundwork for scenery....more progress will follow,soon.....

Thanks for looking,any ideas and tips are very appreciated.

Cheers,Chris

Back