BC Rail subdivision in progress

Twist

Hi there,
last year I started with the construction of my modelrailroad in the basment of our house.I made some plans but have found out that this is not my way to build the layout....I used the plans and drawings as a starting point.
I wanted to build a canadian based layout and went deeper to the British Columbia Railway stuff...bought some DVD´s,a book about BCrail and searched the net for infos.
The first room is about 12x12 feet and the aditional room is about 19x5 feet.I wanted an layout along the walls.Benchwork in the long room is 18 inch wide and the rest will be mostly the same except the side below the window.It´s 24 inch with an peninsula on the ohter side...or better let my say today after some rebuilds it goes that way.
Here are some pictures as it started out last year
RIMG0109-vi.jpg

RIMG0108-vi.jpg

RIMG0111-vi.jpg

RIMG0110-vi.jpg

As you can see there were some cabinets hanging on the wall and also a lot of other modelling things around when I started the construction...After I have cleaned it out it looked like that
DSC_0041-vi.jpg

DSC_0039-vi.jpg

scenery042-vi.jpg

scenery044-vi.jpg

scenery049-vi.jpg

I started with some basic scenery,build some houses laid track and wired it and let run some trains....nice,okay...but something seemd wrong in my mind....so to make a long story short I decided ti rip of some parts of the layout and rebuild it.I decided to build a part of the Dawson Creek subdivison of British Columbia Railway,not prototypical but more freelanced,with it´s grainelevators etc...Also I decided to build a second level to a part of the layout and to make an addition to the next room of the basment.So here is a small tour starting on the additional room with an liftout to the entrance door from the garden.
SceneryNeu001-vi.jpg

Left to the door I´ll make a hole to the wall to enter a staging to the left into another room.
SceneryNeu002-vi.jpg

Computer and workbench.
SceneryNeu004-vi.jpg

SceneryNeu006-vi.jpg

a little townscene with a passing siding
SceneryNeu009-vi.jpg

The station will be changed to a more typical and smaller station
SceneryNeu023-vi.jpg

some residental homes
SceneryNeu026-vi.jpg

The house with the blue trim will be also changed to an Bungalow from American Modelbuilders I recently bought
SceneryNeu015-vi.jpg

to the space in front of the mountains I´ll add a ME tall steel viaduct
SceneryNeu016-vi.jpg

Another small scene with an grainelevator
SceneryNeu017-vi.jpg

Here´s the picture with the elevator
On the last part of the layout the benchwork is still under construction and I´ve started adding the second level..
SceneryNeu037-vi.jpg

SceneryNeu031-vi.jpg

SceneryNeu032-vi.jpg

SceneryNeu035-vi.jpg

SceneryNeu035-vi.jpg

SceneryNeu042-vi.jpg

JL Innovative Design Saw Pit Store and Campbell Scale Models abandoned House...
SceneryNeu040-vi.jpg

I´ll add some more of the progress as it goes...I wish I have enough space for a small helix to reach the upper level but because space is limited I have do go other ways...
Time period will be mid 60´s to mid 70´s to get more variations to rolling stock and locos...So I could use Pacific Great Eastern and also British Columbia Railway paintshemes and lettering and I also want to use a little bit of CN material..Most of the locos are alcos,two RDC´s etc...
I aquired some nice rolling stock over the last years but a lot of it had to be repainted and lettered and also detailed...
Any comments,tips and critics are very welcome.
Thanks for looking.

Cheers,Chris

Chris that's looking great!
Really love the way you carved the mountains and the solid tunnel!
I started out modeling BCR originaly so it holds a special place in me old heart.
I take it you're also a Peterbuilt fan?

Wow!, very nice start so far on your layout. Some attention to detail is clearly seen.

Great work.

Nicely done!! I rode the Cariboo/Prospector back in 97. You've done a nice job capturing the feel of a lot of the route.

Hi there,

After looking and reading through this forum I started thinking about my started layout.All the time I go around and looked to it there was something that seems to be wrong with it.Could not explain exactly what but it was this feeling that something is wrong.Some sceens looking okay but the rest I wasn´t happy with.
It looked like I placed some track and building there and there and there but nothing seemed to get together right...I sat down to look where I am and where I want to go with it.I want to model the BC-Rail Subdivison at Dawson Creek http://g.co/maps/79fh8 with the grain elevators etc and some more track going to the BC-Rail main..So I looked through my pictures on the PC and the British Columbia Railway book I have and made a research on Google maps.Let´s see how it will turn out.
So finaly I started some overhauling of the benchwork.It will be a two level around the wall with a Helix up to the upper level.I think it will be not absolut prototype like but more than the thing I´ve started.
.The upper level will be attached to the walls.I´ll scetch out a rough trackplan when the benchwork is finished.
Here are some pictures with the beginning of the new old benchwork.

RIMG0171-vi.jpg

RIMG0172-vi.jpg

Here you can see the old hight in front and the new installed upper level in the back.The benchwork in front will be moved up to the rest of it.After that the shelfs below will be removed and a new lower level will be installed with new shelfs below it for storage.
RIMG0173-vi.jpg

RIMG0174-vi.jpg

left to the picture is where the helix will be installed later
RIMG0175-vi.jpg

Small workbench.The background will end on both sides of the workbench and will devide the scenes...two tracks only will connect both sides without scenery etc.one track will be used also as a programming track...
RIMG0176-vi.jpg

RIMG0177-vi.jpg

I´ll stay with this small scene because it looks okay for me and add´s some interest later.I hope so.....
RIMG0178-vi.jpg

RIMG0179-vi.jpg

So that´s for today.Any suggestions are very welcome...

Regards,Chris

Can understand your comments about "doesn't feel right" - when you're going to have this for many years, you want it to be right from the start, and that "not right" feeling never goes away...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,
So it´s been a very long time since my last post but I made some progress on my railroad and had some trains rolling....
So let´s start with the lower level in Chetwynd Yard.
Finished trackwork and started structures,power is up to tracks and turnouts,fascia mounted and painted,LED strips mounted etc....
RIMG0022-vi.jpg

RIMG0017-vi.jpg

North end of the yard,left track goes North to Fort St.John and Fort Nelson (hidden staging below Tremblay) and the right track goes to Dawson Creek via Tremblay grain elevator,Helix with farm area and Kiskatinaw River Bridge
RIMG0019-vi.jpg

RIMG0027-vi.jpg

Next step is Tremblay with it´s siding for the grain elevator and some other small buildings.Below that area is an small two track hidden staging with return loop below the helix.
RIMG0049-vi.jpg

RIMG0322-vi.jpg

RIMG0323-vi.jpg

RIMG0324-vi.jpg

The track dissapears in the helix to the right with a 1.4 percent grade up to the next level

RIMG0193-vi.jpg

The helix is powered and also tested and works fine..
On top of it tracks came out to the farm area with some fields ,dirt roads,farm buildings and more...

RIMG0270-vi.jpg

Sarted the background consturction and some foam for the ground....will do more on this are the next weeks...
RIMG0330-vi.jpg

RIMG0332-vi.jpg

RIMG0333-vi.jpg

Next step is to lay roadbed and tracks forward to Kiskatinaw River Bridge and further into Dawson Creek...

DSC_0337-vi.jpg

Kiskatinaw River Bridge mockup from left over parts.Benchwork is done for Dawson Creek,hope to make some progress on tracklaying soon.
So this is it for now....more progress will follow soon...

Regards,Chris

Wow, really great work, Chris! The layout is looking spectacular. While my layout is based in AB, I'm making sure that BCR consists will have plenty of reasons to visit. I can tell I'll enjoy following your progress.

Hi,
Thanks for the comment.....on the upper level the tracks will go a little bit further into dawson creek and I´ll want to build some part of the BCR/CN interchange yard as staging...Have to make some more research for that which railroad interchange in the early 70´s around the PGE/BCR name change....but this is only future....Will take a look to your layout...

Regards,Chris

Chris,
Enjoyed the update-things looking good! Going to string any catenary? My recollection is that the mainline was mostly single track, except for passing sidings, and towns, at least between N. Vancouver and Prince George, in '97.

Otis/Carl

Hi there,
thanks for the kind words.
@otiscnj: you are right, the main is singletrack with passing sidings.For my knowledege the only part with catenary is or was the Tumbler Ridge subdivision....https://www.google.de/search?q=bc+r...&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&client=firefox-a
Tomorrow is my last day for this week in dayshift with the rest of next week free of work until next thursday so I hope to get something together on the build for sure....

Regards,Chris

Hi there,
thanks for the comments.
I´ve made some progress on the farm area.Put some plastercloth to the foam.Also built some structures for the farm.The buidlings are from AMB and Walthers.I have to paint and finish them butit gives me a feeling for the scene...There will be some fields and dirt roads etc....First I have to paint the backdrop...lol this will be my first try on that one and i hope it will work...So here are some pictures of the farm buildings...
RIMG0337-vi.jpg

RIMG0339-vi.jpg

RIMG0347-vi.jpg

RIMG0348-vi.jpg

RIMG0349-vi.jpg

RIMG0351-vi.jpg

I also put some plastercloth to the area next to the north end of the Chetwynd Yard.More will come soon...
RIMG0334-vi.jpg

RIMG0335-vi.jpg

RIMG0336-vi.jpg

The abandoned house will sit on top of that small hill,a dirt road,trees etc will be in that area... the two other things I made are a mockup for the Kiskatinaw River Bridge and the tracks to the bridge
RIMG0340-vi.jpg

RIMG0342-vi.jpg

RIMG0341-vi.jpg

and an cardstock mockup of the Alberta Pool Grain Elevator No3 at Dawson Creek...

RIMG0352-vi.jpg

RIMG0354-vi.jpg

RIMG0355-vi.jpg

RIMG0356-vi.jpg

The elevator will be a large building...I´ll made some drawings of that structure and will make the parts for it on my CNC milling machine from sheet material...I´ll do the same with some other structures...

So there is a lot to do but I want to concentrate my work on the farm area first just to see some scenery grow....

all comments,tips and more are very appreciated.
Thanks for looking,

Regards,Chris

Chris,
The layout is looking good. I see that like most of us, you have some plaster "drops" on the track. I was always able to remove them by lightly tapping the tops of the track with a really small modeling hammer, then vacuuming them up quickly. That was really the only way to do it, as my track was hand lain. I always tried to cover the track with wide pieces of masking tape to prevent things like that from happening, but even with the tape, plaster still seemed to defy Newton, and get under the tape, discoloring the track, and leaving blobs of plaster on the side of the rails!

Hi,
yes there are some blobs of plaster but I removed them later with some water and a Q-tip....and also it´s no big problem because I have to paint the ties and the track etc...
Thank you for the tip...

Regards,Chris

No doubt you are an excellent planner and highly talented at putting things together. I am glad you shared your bumpy patches with us at the beginning of the thread.

You have undertaken an ambitious project and are making excellent progress. My hat is off to you!

logandsawman

Hi there,
I´ve seen that there was along time I posted on my layout thread.So I´ll bring it up to the current point of progress
Track was laid on to Kiskatinaw River Bridge.
From the other side I started tracks from Dawson Creek.I´m using again code 83 Peco flextrack and turnouts.Maybe I´ll change that later for handlaid track and turnouts..I use Blue Point turnout controls.I have to find out how to power the handlaid turnouts...but that´s another story.
so here are some pictures of what I´ve done so far:
Starting from the station and freighthouse where the white elevator is located I´ll be model the Cargill Grain Elevator
RIMG0449.JPG

From the other side with a cardboard mockup of station and feighthouse,behind the station Scott´s National Food Warehouse will be located.
RIMG0450.JPG

Fosters Seed & Feed
RIMG0451.JPG

Western Agri-Service Grain Elevator Complex will grow up in this free space
RIMG0452.JPG

Alberta Pool #3 Grain Elevator
RIMG0453.JPG

RIMG0455.JPG

Northwestern Wood Preservers Planer Mill
RIMG0457.JPG

I´ll scratchbuild most of the structures in Dawson creek....I have some little information about the footprints of most of the Elevators and also station and freighthouse.I´ll make mockups for them and later model them from wood and sheet materials...clapboard walls will be build board by board etc...It´s a lot of fun building things that way...I ´ll open extra threads for the structures...The next days I´ll finish the tracks and will put power to tracks and turnouts and do some test...

I reached a milestone finishing the mainline into dawson creek with one first train running the whole tracks from Dawson Creek to Chetwynd without any bigger problems...
RIMG0545.JPG

RIMG0555.JPG

RIMG0546.JPG

RIMG0526.JPG

I also cleaned up the electiral installation for the Layout and mounted it to it´s new place

RIMG0534.JPG

I have an additional booster that maybe will be used later if needed.I will lay some additional wires for lightning when I start with the placing of the structures...some of them will get some LED´s inside.

And finally I started with the construction of the Dawson Creek station...
RIMG0522.JPG

RIMG0523.JPG

RIMG0528.JPG

Running out of Evergreen sheet so the building of the freighthouse has to wait until the material will arrive.The doors and windows will be scratchbuild,too...I have the drawings so maybe I´ll do them on my CNC milling machine...

More will follow in part two of the update

Thanks for looking
Regards,Chris

Back