Banded Iron Rail

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

regme

Hi

After lots of questions, listening to advise on this forum, the build has finally commenced, my layout is going to be based on an iron ore mine with a train load out and car dumper (hopefully operational) plus a few additional infrastructure. I would like a conveyor to connect it all up, but there might not be enough room.

Layout Concept.JPG

So far I have the frame work up. Just need to put down the plywood top, foam and backboard.

I was going to use cabinet connectors to secure the four modules together, on the off chance I need to put it apart. However, I'm not sure if I should have edge protection for the foam at the joints.

Thought about using either a piece of 3mm ply or extend the edge piece of 19mm pine, if that makes sense.

Turned out a lot bigger than on the plans.
IMG_8021.JPG

Cheers

regme

Hi

Been working on the backdrop side of things, was hoping to have it finished for the weekend but the nail gun packed itself in.

These are the sides, just have to the middle and I can start on the XPS foam base. The backboard is 3mm MDF, it's 400mm high plus I raised it another 25mm of the base since the XPS foam is 50mm thick. The corners have a 400mm radius, I wanted 300mm but it just felt too tight.

I try to get a tighter radius by kerfing the MDF and it looked promising until that finally little bit before the MDF shat itself.

Attachments

• IMG_8047.JPG
    IMG_8047.JPG
    478.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8061.JPG
    IMG_8061.JPG
    520.9 KB · Views: 6

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.