Backdrop Painting Tips Needed

Laidoffsick

3 Railer
Ok I've seen some very nice looking painted backdrops from several different members here? I'm readfy to start painting mine. It's 20' long and 4' tall. I went to Lowes and picked up the 4 million different shades of blue to choose from. I don't want it too dark, nor too light? Any suggestions on color, besides "blue" ;) ??

Next question: Semi-gloss or flat?? I really don't like using flat cuz everytime you touch it or bump it with a building, it leaves a smudge. I also don't want it too glossy as the track lighting will leave a glare? What has everyone else used as far as semi-gloss or flat???

I haven't decided on clouds yet and if I do decide to add them, it will be after I get some buildings placed.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

LOS, the sky is really not all blue, which makes it so hard to get it right. I'd get a can of white prime and three cans of blue, ranging from light blue to darker blue. Go outside and take a look up and use that as you paint chips. Paint the part of the back drop closest to the bottom, especially if the is hilly eastern country, with the white primer with just about 10% of the lightest blue. Blend in the next layout with light blue with about 10% white primer. The medium blue comes next and the darkest view is only at the very top. Unless you're modeling the desert in the winter, the sky is never deep blue from horizon to horizon.

Very true Jim, its never blue. I intend on blending the white into the horizon starting at the bottom. I have already primed it with 3 coats of Kilz latex white, I'm just looking for that "base" color for a starting point.

I am going to use a very similar technique that Ron used on his backdrop:

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4961

Just haven't found the right "blue" to start with. All the paint chips I brought home from Lowes are either too grey, too purple, or too turquoise. I guess it's off to Homes Depot for some more paint chips. :)

Ok I've seen some very nice looking painted backdrops from several different members here? I'm readfy to start painting mine. It's 20' long and 4' tall. I went to Lowes and picked up the 4 million different shades of blue to choose from. I don't want it too dark, nor too light? Any suggestions on color, besides "blue" ;) ??

Next question: Semi-gloss or flat?? I really don't like using flat cuz everytime you touch it or bump it with a building, it leaves a smudge. I also don't want it too glossy as the track lighting will leave a glare? What has everyone else used as far as semi-gloss or flat???

I haven't decided on clouds yet and if I do decide to add them, it will be after I get some buildings placed.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

FLAT !!!!!!

A few of us argue the colors all the time. Much depends on the location you are modeling. A good friend really likes to start with a pure deep blue at the top and gently add white to it as he brings the paint down to the layout. I personaly don't like it for our region.

My method is to pick ( and when I'm at the club I'll check the exact tint) a greyish blue and paint the whole backdrop with it. It's seldom in South Louisiana you see a "bright blue". I make one pass with the airbrush with white and start about 18 inches or so from the bottom and just put one layer of haze on it. As I paint each layer of distant scenery, I add another layer of white haze trying to create the depth. I usually end up with 3 layers of depth that comes out IMHO pretty nice. Don'y forget to airbrush any horizon clouds before painting any scenery on the backdrop. Higher clouds can be much later.

This method makes it VERY realistic in person, however, if you're painting to show off via photos, it really doesn't work well with camera work and all becomes a wash.

This scene gives a great view in person that the camera just doesn't catch, but if you look really hard and close, you can see just the slighest hint of clouds both on the horizon as well as about 16" up

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/photo.php?pid=8461075&id=562770439

This is the same scene from a little further back. In the photo no blue shows up but in person, the haze and washout of the horizon make the blueish grey backdrop look like what we actually see outside in the real world

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=3&aid=251904&id=562770439#/photo.php?pid=8461074&id=562770439

This is the same section of backdrop to the left of the last picture. Since it was closer and I was using "paper dolls" to create distance, I didn't use as many layers of white in the airbrush in this section so that it actually seems a little more blue than gray

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=2&aid=251904&id=562770439#/photo.php?pid=8461077&id=562770439

Here is a picture of some work in progress. I stopped where I was because I didn't like the result and plan on painting it all out and redoing it. I was haveing problems with the airbrush and working on Lou's Schultz' Layout which is the C&O in the 50's. Some sections worked well, other sections becase a disaster like a 5 year old had painted it like this one.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6770605&id=562770439

Keep in mind, nothing in nature is perfect. Experiement and try different ideas. If you don't like what you get.....just paint it out and cover up those "happy little trees".

Keep in mind. If using valances, your focus is on the horizon, not what you see overhead. Go outside and hold a piece of cardboad up to block your line of vision other than what you want to see on the layout.

I've seen many great modelers destroy the reality of the model scene in front of them because they painted the backdrop with what you might see overhead..............how often do we look UP when looking at trains ?

Take pictures and look at them. Make sure you have a good feel for what you want to capture in your scene. Take time to study clouds.

If you use cut outs, use them for tops of clouds coming up from the horizon.

If you're looking at clouds on the backdrop higher up, keep in mind that while anything is possible in nature, what makes a model scene real is modeling the ordinary, not the unusual. If you work your clouds at the 24" mark as th e largest and smaller clouds under them and fainter, you help the illusion of distance. Paint the lower, smaller in the distance FIRST and as you come up make them slightly larger and the few large clouds on the higher prortion should have the most detail. The further the distance, the fainter, the closer to you, the higher and the better detail

It's just my opinion.............but I learned by doing every wrong way possible. Hope this helps

I have a thread of what this looks like so far in the layout section. I need to update it with newer pictures now that the backdrop has been primed with Kilz and sub-base plywood installed.

It will be all industrial area, so no hills, mountains, or trees. Just the horizon/sky with maybe some light clouds. I live in Southern California and am building this as a 3 rail, hi-rail project. For the most part it will be a bright, clear sky.

Damn I don't use Facebook so I can't see the photos!

I have a thread of what this looks like so far in the layout section. I need to update it with newer pictures now that the backdrop has been primed with Kilz and sub-base plywood installed.

It will be all industrial area, so no hills, mountains, or trees. Just the horizon/sky with maybe some light clouds. I live in Southern California and am building this as a 3 rail, hi-rail project. For the most part it will be a bright, clear sky.

Damn I don't use Facebook so I can't see the photos!

and I don't know how to post the pics any other way........old dog ..new tricks come slow to me

OK, so I tried with photobucket but that is more confusing to me. I can't even get phots uploaded

edit:

So now I tried to upload them to the pic gallery on THIS site and it says they uploaded, but nothing shows up in my file.

Am I this much of an idiot ? ARGHHHHHHH

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries, I appreciate your effort. I upload all my pix to photobucket and then just post the image links here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would luv to see your photos ;) ;) but it's no biggie. I understand the frustration of doing new s**t! :)

OK I signed up for facebook. Great PIX! You gotta post some pix on this site, the other members would definitely love to see them. I sent you a friend request on FB, my initials are D.K. there. Thanks for the info

Ok the hell with it..... can you just come paint mine for me? lmao

Great pix!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used what is called Tidewater Blue. Walmart interior flat paint. I've gone ahead and misted a white starting from the very top of my background scenery up to almost halfway. You really cant see this affect in my photo. I think once I get the whole background finished, I'll hit it again with another coat of Whiteish/ greyish combo. Here's a pic of my background:
IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

OK I signed up for facebook. Great PIX! You gotta post some pix on this site, the other members would definitely love to see them. I sent you a friend request on FB, my initials are D.K. there. Thanks for the info

Great pix!

Took me 30 years to learn how to paint back drops, do you think I ca learn to post pics the first week ?

Thank for the compliment.....funny thing, what "I" consider the best clouds I ever painted must be viewed from 6 feet outside the side door. If you look at them from that aisle, they look "so-so" but when I open that door and say come out here......people usualy say Oh no ****, those are great.

400' of backdrop ain't easy

Great pix!

I oked you as a friend. Now you can go lok at the photos in "MY model work"

Note, the 8' wide x 6' tall by 40' long mountains are GONE. It was something I did 15 years ago that has haunted me since. I was finally able to take them out and am in the process of reworking that whole are....with a few surprizes in store.......

I used what is called Tidewater Blue. Walmart interior flat paint. I've gone ahead and misted a white starting from the very top of my background scenery up to almost halfway. You really cant see this affect in my photo. I think once I get the whole background finished, I'll hit it again with another coat of Whiteish/ greyish combo. Here's a pic of my background:
IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMHO ......look at pic 2. You have one cloud with a darkened flat bottom. Haze it out a little more to lessen the harsh dark line.....however, you have other clouds mixed in with that type....which I don't understand. If clouds are going to be flat on the bottom, it's because of the atmosphere, therefore ALL clouds in that scene "should " be the same. Just airbrush some straight lines under some of the OTHER clouds then go back and aribrush in, in a FAINT manner, the edges and tops and have the same look through the scene.

Please, I don't mean to come across as an ***, but gracefully EASE the edges. Later come back and hand brush some details into the clouds.

It's a great start, but ease you clouds into a scene.

Great pix!

Lets see, Nol to Lax on the Sunset.............all I need is a place to shower and ...welllll "that" too, I'm fat but I eat cheap, I can bring my brushes, stencils and a box of oils and a box of acrilics..............

Can you pick me up at the station ? I have Christmas booked but am free for Mardi Gras, Easter and a good bit of next summer.

LMAO.... just get off at the San Bernardino Station. I go right by there on the train everyday, shoot, on the westbound trip, we stop right at the depot.
Oh and we have a guest room with a king bed, free wireless internet, open bar, and a chef! 4 stars at Hotels.com lol

Hi fellas,im new here,saw some info about posting picks under forum help info in this website. I am also interested in backdrop paintings for my own layout, I was surfing around looking for some photos and came across this one fellow,climbs into the mountains alone and takes these breathtaking pics up there. anyway,long story ...but I want to try paint something with mountains and hills and... took a pic of the sun peeking thru the clouds and to try and blend back senery into the backdrop with a beautifull sky sene sounds like a challenge!

Mike: Thanks for posting some excellent ideas. I am having to rework a backdrop and can use these. Also, looked at all you photos: outstanding layout ;).

IMHO ......look at pic 2. You have one cloud with a darkened flat bottom. Haze it out a little more to lessen the harsh dark line.....however, you have other clouds mixed in with that type....which I don't understand. If clouds are going to be flat on the bottom, it's because of the atmosphere, therefore ALL clouds in that scene "should " be the same. Just airbrush some straight lines under some of the OTHER clouds then go back and aribrush in, in a FAINT manner, the edges and tops and have the same look through the scene.

Please, I don't mean to come across as an ***, but gracefully EASE the edges. Later come back and hand brush some details into the clouds.

It's a great start, but ease you clouds into a scene.

Funny,
I'm looking out my window, and I see clouds with flat bottoms, irregular bottoms and mishapes of every kind. I understand that some do have some darker lines which I will eventually take care of by another mist of White. Before I went ahead and attempted my backdrop, I paid attention to the sky on my drive home from work. I'm no weather man by no means, so I wouldn't be paying attention to the atsmophere. Should I have paid more attention to the atmosphere before I did this. Now I'm not sure if I did the right thing. Maybe I should just paint the wall over again and start fresh. Well I'm off to Walmart for some more Blue I guess.

Back