Back after unwanted break w/ Track cleaning tip

That's completely understandable Max and I appreciate you being considerate and giving good advice. :D I know what you mean by about careless people.

My thoughts, as the name implies, that all lubricants are made to cut friction. Friction is what our locos need to move. Ron, have you used it on grades, say around 2%+? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but curious. I've read across the street where some use different types of light oils, but I question the use because of the loss of traction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you Rex on just the common sense thought that oils of any sort should cause some loss in traction. I've been wondering is there anything that can be put on to the rails to help eliminate the need to clean them so much, that would not affect traction.

Nick, I have found that the more you run the less cleaning you have to do. Normally, I don't have to clean my track very often, just a monthly run-over with my cleaning car for general maintenance. Because of the lack of running over the last couple months (room project, etc.) my track had to be cleaned to have uninterrupted running. This is actually a first.

I just use laquer thinner in my cleaning car and use a BrightBoy for turnouts or difficult places.

The one thing to note: Environment makes a big difference in how often one has to clean their track. I would have to believe that the more polluted/acidic the atmosphere in a locale, the more cleaning. Smoking doesn't seem to make any difference...at least on mine.;) :)

Enviroment plays a big role in track cleaning. My layout is in the garage where I park my cars, and every time I start the engine to go out, the smoke ( even though little ) settles on the tracks, and before I run the engines, I wipe them ( short piece ) with my finger, and I get black stripes on my fingers, showing that they get dirty pretty easily, even though shiny and smooth.

( Using steel wool or any other abrasing material, makes dirt stick more to the rails )

Friction is what our locos need to move. Ron, have you used it on grades, say around 2%+?

I didn't think you sounded argumentive.

Well, to answer honestly there is about a 3' section of track that reaches between 2.5-2.7% grade... and yes on a couple of my steam engines were slipping. But just a quick wipe of a clean T-shirt rag and they are running fine.

Thanks Ron. You know, there seems to be so many methods to clean track and I guess it comes down to anything that works is a good way.;) :)

One thing for sure, since the oxidation on the nickel-silver alloy is somewhat conductive, we are so much better off than the days of brass where it wasn't conductive at all. My first layout was brass and I had to clean it everytime that I ran...sometimes twice. In all honesty, if we had to use brass I would have never got back into the hobby. That stuff is a pain.;) G.I.'s, remember polishing the BRASS? Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Well at least Brass didn't get rust on, it just turnished and lost conductivity. My first layout's tracks were iron ( of Lima ) and after the first weeks I ballasted the track it went all rusty, I tired to clean it (with fine sand paper) the first time, because I knew that with the application of water it could rust, but then it kept on rusting often and I scrapped all.

Then I started with the nickel silver tracks, which was a relief.

Just an update here and a few comments.

Since I started this thread I have been changing all couplers to Kadee and all trucks to Proto 2000 with metal wheels. OMG they fly. I cleaned my track the first night. I have been running every nite to test the cars that I have completed.

No signs of dirt or grime except on the drivers on the 2-8-8-2 I have been pulling with. I ran my track pad car around with a new pad and was amazed, there wasnt enough on there to run it again.

Any oil or anything with residue will cause dirt and dust to stick and may keep the rails cleaner but isnt good in the long run. (My Opinion) I always use alcohol after whatever I clean with.

Exhaust fumes in the garage - take some black plastic pipe like is used for downspouts and make a snorkel that gets outside. Also hang some cardboard rubbed down with vasaline from the garage door tracks. (Not where you can walk into it) Just try it it works.

Brass and Steel track are for selling on ebay. Use Nickel Silver.

In one week I am a firm believer in metal wheels and kadees.

Goodluck, Tom

I have a Whirlpool "whispure 510" and I try to keep up with vacuuming as I do work around the room. Keeping ahead of the mess really helps. I leave mine on low 24/7 and on high when I am out here moving around.

DD, I don't know about the track, but it works very good on a loco's wheel pick-ups. I have been using it about 2 years with very good results. There is enough pressure that it will get under the spring tension without having to lift the pickups. Also good for light pick-ups.

It should clean the track as well, but may be expensive in the long run. There is also a conductive residue left for lubrication. So, you would be back to the oil debate and traction.

A friend of mine told me about the high current/voltage rail cleaner, this work on the basis that when a loco wheel, passes over some dirt that collected on the rails, a high charge surges through the rails, and it disintegrates the dirt, he also told me that it does not harm the engines.

Donno how that can be if a high charge passes through the rail while the loco is moving without doing any damage.

Do any of you know where to find Super Scene Clean, an aerosol product for dealing with dust after you've removed most of it by the usual methods first. It is/was produced by a couple of guys ( Robert Kurylo and Ernest Havrilla) in Fairview Village, PA, and apparently sold better to ship model collectors than to train folks. I can't track it down now--the toll free number they used for ordering has been passed on to a phone sex operation, judging by the greeting when it's answered! Any clues how to find this product? Thanks

A friend of mine told me about the high current/voltage rail cleaner, this work on the basis that when a loco wheel, passes over some dirt that collected on the rails, a high charge surges through the rails, and it disintegrates the dirt, he also told me that it does not harm the engines.

Donno how that can be if a high charge passes through the rail while the loco is moving without doing any damage.

For DC use only!

Alan

Back