Bachmann Spectrum 80-ton 3-truck Shay. Maintenance doubts.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

jagc1969

Hi !

I have purchased a few days ago a new Bachmann Spectrum 80-ton , 3-truck Shay locomotive. I am a fan of Shays and this Bachmann model looked so nice... Before purchasing it I searched for comments on these machines on forums (Bachmann is not my favorite branch...). Hence I was aware of the issue with the bevel gears (mine broken after the SECOND time I used the machine... !) and I purchased the metalic replacement gears from NWSL. My plan to repair/improve my Shay is the following one :

- Change bevel gears.
- Install led lights (including one "fire effect" led into the boiler ).
- Improve electrical pickup.
- Install Loksound V4 sound decoder.

Of course I have some doubts and I would be very pleased if you , experts, could help me.

a) Apart from bevel gears, do I have to oil other parts of the machine ?
b) Any advise on how to install the led lights ? I know that it will be a long and tricky affair, as the locomotive is not easy to disassemble...
c) Once I am on the business, would it be worthy to replace the can motor or the original one from Bachmann is good enough?

Thanks for your collaboration, gentlemen.

Kind Regards,

Juan.

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
I have had one for quite a few years. Early on I had a bevel gear problem and Bachmann did send some replacements. They no longer do that.
It is an exceptionally smooth running locomotive. I don't really run it a lot. When I am working on my layout I will let trains run if possible just to keep them from deteriorating from lack of use. I will rotate locomotives that haven't been run on a regular basis and the shay is so quite that I have had to search around the layout just to make sure that it is still running. I really wouldn't worry about replacing the motor. It has incredibly excellent slow speed capabilities.

The replacment gears have held up so far so I haven't had to get the NWSL replacements. So far as replacing the lights with LEDs, I agree that it would be a major undertaking to disassemble the locomotive. I have an old Roundhouse 2 truck shay that I built eons ago and ended up replacing the headlights to install grain of rice bulbs and new lenses. That was a pain and I can imagine that it would be a lot harder on the Bachmann shay.

So far as lubrication goes. You could use son plastic compatible light oil on the crank shaft and and gears, very sparingly.

jagc1969

I have had one for quite a few years. Early on I had a bevel gear problem and Bachmann did send some replacements. They no longer do that.
It is an exceptionally smooth running locomotive. I don't really run it a lot. When I am working on my layout I will let trains run if possible just to keep them from deteriorating from lack of use. I will rotate locomotives that haven't been run on a regular basis and the shay is so quite that I have had to search around the layout just to make sure that it is still running. I really wouldn't worry about replacing the motor. It has incredibly excellent slow speed capabilities.

The replacment gears have held up so far so I haven't had to get the NWSL replacements. So far as replacing the lights with LEDs, I agree that it would be a major undertaking to disassemble the locomotive. I have an old Roundhouse 2 truck shay that I built eons ago and ended up replacing the headlights to install grain of rice bulbs and new lenses. That was a pain and I can imagine that it would be a lot harder on the Bachmann shay.

So far as lubrication goes. You could use son plastic compatible light oil on the crank shaft and and gears, very sparingly.

Thanks !

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I also have a Bachmann 80 ton, three truck shay locomotive with a SoundTrax decoder. I've had the locomotive since they first were offered and have run the locomotive from time time to time over the years. I also think the hobby shop used it as a demo at train show without asking me.

Still have the original bevel gears.

Since the Backmann locomotive is prototypically slow, I would keep the original Bachmann motor if it runs fine. Typically slow and sure has power when pulling a short freight or log train.

Forget the LED lights. Like Chet explained, it is a difficult undertaking to replace the original lamps and the original incandescent lamps work and look fine.

The locomotive is fun to watch.

Greg

Last edited:

jagc1969

I also have a Bachmann 80 ton, three truck shay locomotive with a SoundTrax decoder. I've had the locomotive since they first were offered and have run the locomotive from time time to time over the years. I also think the hobby shop used it as a demo at train show without asking me.

Still have the original bevel gears.

Since the Backmann locomotive is prototypically slow, I would keep the original Bachmann motor if it runs fine. Tyically slow and sure has power when pulling a short freight or log train.

Forget the LED lights. Like Chet explained, it is a difficult undertaking to replace the original lamps and the original incandescent lamps work and look fine.

The locomotive is fun to watch.

Greg
Thanks a lot for your comments, Greg !

Kind Regards,

Juan.

P.S. Yes, this locomotive is GREAT.

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I think the Bachmann Shay is truly fun to watch pulling a train. So slow and the mechanism working so hard.

Greg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.