Bachmann Spectrum 80-ton 3-truck Shay. Maintenance doubts.

jagc1969

Hi !

I have purchased a few days ago a new Bachmann Spectrum 80-ton , 3-truck Shay locomotive. I am a fan of Shays and this Bachmann model looked so nice... Before purchasing it I searched for comments on these machines on forums (Bachmann is not my favorite branch...). Hence I was aware of the issue with the bevel gears (mine broken after the SECOND time I used the machine... !) and I purchased the metalic replacement gears from NWSL. My plan to repair/improve my Shay is the following one :

- Change bevel gears.
- Install led lights (including one "fire effect" led into the boiler ).
- Improve electrical pickup.
- Install Loksound V4 sound decoder.

Of course I have some doubts and I would be very pleased if you , experts, could help me.

a) Apart from bevel gears, do I have to oil other parts of the machine ?
b) Any advise on how to install the led lights ? I know that it will be a long and tricky affair, as the locomotive is not easy to disassemble...
c) Once I am on the business, would it be worthy to replace the can motor or the original one from Bachmann is good enough?

Thanks for your collaboration, gentlemen.

Kind Regards,

Juan.

I have had one for quite a few years. Early on I had a bevel gear problem and Bachmann did send some replacements. They no longer do that.
It is an exceptionally smooth running locomotive. I don't really run it a lot. When I am working on my layout I will let trains run if possible just to keep them from deteriorating from lack of use. I will rotate locomotives that haven't been run on a regular basis and the shay is so quite that I have had to search around the layout just to make sure that it is still running. I really wouldn't worry about replacing the motor. It has incredibly excellent slow speed capabilities.

The replacment gears have held up so far so I haven't had to get the NWSL replacements. So far as replacing the lights with LEDs, I agree that it would be a major undertaking to disassemble the locomotive. I have an old Roundhouse 2 truck shay that I built eons ago and ended up replacing the headlights to install grain of rice bulbs and new lenses. That was a pain and I can imagine that it would be a lot harder on the Bachmann shay.

So far as lubrication goes. You could use son plastic compatible light oil on the crank shaft and and gears, very sparingly.

I have had one for quite a few years. Early on I had a bevel gear problem and Bachmann did send some replacements. They no longer do that.
It is an exceptionally smooth running locomotive. I don't really run it a lot. When I am working on my layout I will let trains run if possible just to keep them from deteriorating from lack of use. I will rotate locomotives that haven't been run on a regular basis and the shay is so quite that I have had to search around the layout just to make sure that it is still running. I really wouldn't worry about replacing the motor. It has incredibly excellent slow speed capabilities.

The replacment gears have held up so far so I haven't had to get the NWSL replacements. So far as replacing the lights with LEDs, I agree that it would be a major undertaking to disassemble the locomotive. I have an old Roundhouse 2 truck shay that I built eons ago and ended up replacing the headlights to install grain of rice bulbs and new lenses. That was a pain and I can imagine that it would be a lot harder on the Bachmann shay.

So far as lubrication goes. You could use son plastic compatible light oil on the crank shaft and and gears, very sparingly.

Thanks !

I also have a Bachmann 80 ton, three truck shay locomotive with a SoundTrax decoder. I've had the locomotive since they first were offered and have run the locomotive from time time to time over the years. I also think the hobby shop used it as a demo at train show without asking me.

Still have the original bevel gears.

Since the Backmann locomotive is prototypically slow, I would keep the original Bachmann motor if it runs fine. Typically slow and sure has power when pulling a short freight or log train.

Forget the LED lights. Like Chet explained, it is a difficult undertaking to replace the original lamps and the original incandescent lamps work and look fine.

The locomotive is fun to watch.

Greg

Last edited:
I also have a Bachmann 80 ton, three truck shay locomotive with a SoundTrax decoder. I've had the locomotive since they first were offered and have run the locomotive from time time to time over the years. I also think the hobby shop used it as a demo at train show without asking me.

Still have the original bevel gears.

Since the Backmann locomotive is prototypically slow, I would keep the original Bachmann motor if it runs fine. Tyically slow and sure has power when pulling a short freight or log train.

Forget the LED lights. Like Chet explained, it is a difficult undertaking to replace the original lamps and the original incandescent lamps work and look fine.

The locomotive is fun to watch.

Greg

Thanks a lot for your comments, Greg !

Kind Regards,

Juan.

P.S. Yes, this locomotive is GREAT.

I think the Bachmann Shay is truly fun to watch pulling a train. So slow and the mechanism working so hard.

Greg

Back