Bachmann Southern 722

I see no one has answered you and while I'm no expert on Southern steamers I would try and find all the photos of the 2-8-0 Southern prototypes you can. Therein you may find some surprising differences in between Southern 2-8-0's. You may like them, or you may not, but you can find things like tubing, bells, pumps and stuff like that is different than your loco. If you feel the need you can add, subtract or move items around.

My modeling is on a private imaginary road so other than weathering I tend to leave them alone. You also might see if there is a dedicated coffee table book on Southern Steamers. Sounds the best to me. Jim:)

Type in "southern railroad consolidation locomotive" on google images and you'll get a ton of pictures of different locos. If you intend to increase the level of detail, this will probably help. If performance is what you're interested in then you'll need advice from someone other than me.

Steve

As a Southern modeler, the consolidations used on the Southern consisted of 5 classes of locomotives. These were G, H, I, J, & K. There were several subclasses within these.

The Bachmann 2-8-0, while a superb model is larger than the 2-8-0 that was the 722. The real 722 is a Ks, which is a lot smaller than the Bachmann engine. The Bachmann engine is closer to the largest 2-8-0's on the SRR, the Ks-3 class, of which there were 10 locos. But remember, its your railroad, you can do what pleases you, and not be disappointed. I have a couple of the locos on my layout, and they are all painted into SRR colors.

According to Prince's book on the SRR, these were built by Richmond in 1926. They were the heaviest of the consols on the SRR, and had stokers, feedwater heaters. They had an engine weight of 246,000, and a tractive effort of 54,000 lbs.

However, the Bachmann locomotives can be re-detailed into more of a SRR type engine very easily, simply by the replacement of some of the parts with brass parts from either Precision Scale Company http://www.precisionscaleco.com/ or Cal-Scale and Cary parts from Bowser,
http://bowser-trains.com/In%20Stock%20Pages/In%20Stock%20Cal%20Scale.htm Of course, you'll need pictures of the specific engine to copy it by.

As an aside, to get a accurate model of the SRR 722, Overland imported in the 1970's a model of the SRR Ks 2-8-0 in brass. The only place to get one is probably from any of the brass dealers on the web, or E-bay. These cost generally in the range of $200-400.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a guy on YouTube put Southern Valve gear on his (off a Bachmann 2-10-2). I put a leaning bell on the smoke box and plan on replacing the headlight with a more typical southern one at some point. Southern's steam was very different from engine to engine due to the different shops (Spencer, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Birmingham, Pegram, etc.) Look up Southern 722 in excursion service and you will get some good pics on what you might want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back