Bachmann n scale 0-6-0 steam wobble.

Silverflash

Hello everyone,
I am new on here and would like to see if anyone could give me some help. I have a bachmann 0-6-0 switcher that I bought earlier this year off of ebay. I tested it on a small section of track and seemed to run ok. Once I got my new layout started, I ran it on some longer track and noted the front end was moving from side to side. Does the same thing in reverse. I ran it in my home made cradle and noted that the front wheel moves or wobbles a little. Not sure what to do. Bachmann does not make the wheel set any more for this engine. I will put some pics up of the chassis so you can see which one it is. Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2934.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2936.jpg
    IMG_2936.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 44
Funny you should write this. I was just reading the article in Wikipedia about the 0-6-0 just yesterday. It said that it was a very good loco as it put all its weight onto the drive wheels offering much better traction, but a high speeds, it tended to wobble because of the relatively short wheelbase, so, many were limited to switching operations.
Yours may have some problems, but, it sounds like it’s acting just like the real ones.

It could be the center axle gear needs replacing, possible one side is slipping slightly if it's cracked.
Also check that all the wheels are quartered correctly.

Back