Bachmann HO GP38-2 Fix

DougC

Bachmann HO GP38-2 Fix

I hope this info is useful or helpful or at least informative for you.

Per one of my other topics on this Forum I’ve been tweaking some of Bachmann’s GP30s and 35s to the point where they are almost silent runners. If you grade Atlas locos as “A”s in the “silent department” when pulling heavy trains, then these Bman GP 30s and 35s now operate between A- and B+. And, this hasn’t changed after I’ve added about 2.5 to 3 ounces of weight to each loco.

I’ve had one Bman GP38-2 (has an almost empty computer board and is non-DCC) for a while and finally decided to tweak it like I’ve done to my GP30s and 35s – lubing, add weights, add new 3-13 volt LED soft white headlight, take out the computer board, etc. After finishing this with the GP38-2 I thought I had it right, but it when running the engine it produced a strange noise. After listening to it I addressed the only thing I could figure, and I was right the first time (doesn’t happen often – I’ll admit I tried 7 different “fixes” on Bman’s SD40-2s’ wheel chattering and failed; returned most of them.) After fixing the problem the engine turned into a very quiet runner, and a smooth, fine-puller (the engine weighs 14.5 ounces as is, and I added 2.25 ounces toward the front to balance it out. It has space for more weights but I wanted it to MU well with the other Bman GP30 and 35 engines, and it does (the 30s and 35s come about 12 ounces each and I added 2 to 3 ounces each). And I think all three models – 30, 35 and 38-2 – use the same motor and gearing, even though their frames differ.

So, what was THE problem? On this GP38-2 (and probably all the other GP 38-2s) the two plastic split-jaw pieces on the motor drive shafts bind the drive shafts’ ball and T arms. The split-jaw pieces’ openings for the T arms AND its ball are not parallel -they taper inward toward the motor.

Out came the Dremel tool with cut-off disk and I carefully cut and ground out the open jaws so they were parallel and wide enough to accommodate the T arms with a little slack to spare. I also found that a 1/8th drill bit was the perfect size to ream-out the open jaws’ “tunnel” so the ball on the end of the drive shaft would go in and out without binding. And that was so easy I just used my fingers to rotate the drill bit. When finished I cleaned up the split jaw pieces with a sharp hobby knife and a rag, lightly oiled them, reassembled it all, and they now work great with no noise.

I’ll admit I’ve only had this GP38-2 running for a couple of days, but since it’s been fine so far I think it’s fixed for good.

As info, if you don’t use DCC you can still find some non-DCC GP38-2s on-line; they cost less than the ones with the DCC boards. Also, removing the non-DCC fake computer board in my engine is what provided the room for the weights.

I’m 99% sure the non-DCC engines are exactly the same as the ones with the DCC boards except for the road number change and a fake computer board (almost nothing on it). I say this because earlier this year Bman customer service answered this question about their GP35s – they are the same internally - and I found this to be the case.

Lastly I know that for many of you these types of fixes are a pain, and that by purchasing for example an Atlas engine (even a Trainman) you almost always avoid any of this irritating, not-supposed-to-be-there tinkering and sometimes exploration hassles. On the other hand for me it’s satisfying to take a “cheap” engine, spend about an hour on it, and see it running quietly and pulling just as well as an engine that costs twice as much or more.

DougC

I have a chattering problem with my sd40. I narrowed it down to the drive shaft. This make sense. I'm going to try it. Thank you!

You're welcome.

I guess I've been lazy on addressing the Bachmann SD40-2s.

Please do let me (us) know how you do on the B'mann SD40-2. As a model they are in general the worse chatterers, but for price/value I really like them (to me they look great and pull great - especially after I add 4 balanced oz. to each - and have a bunch. Some are really quiet out of the box, some real quiet after a little run-in, some chatter only on some curves, and a very few almost continually (noise level varies). Overall, chattering sound volume varies from very quiet (basically no noise) to somewhat annoying.

On one of Bachmann's SD40-2s that I just purchased (blue yellow Santa Fe loco) the two drive shafts each have a brass fly wheel on it (YES!) and the T drive shafts are almost straight (YES!), and their cross arms are shorter. But the funny thing is that the U joints on the motor drive shafts are now INSIDE the outer holes of the flywheels (NO!). I haven't checked if they would be easily removed to work on. However, IF the U joint inside the flywheel is made right, there won't be any need to access it.

DougC

that was definitely it! although it's not perfect it's much better! that'll probably be the last Bachmann train I ever buy though... I shouldn't have this much problem for my brand new product. I'll probably buy a non DCC Athern train and put a tsunami soundtraxx decoder in it.

thanks for the help!

something else that probably didn't help me, when the original DCC board fried after 2 hours of use, I noticed the board had the year 2006 printed on it. I'm sure there have been many improvements in 8 years.

G'day all , The first few locos I ever bought were all Bachmann Dc , then spectrum , then DCC on Board...some GP38s GP 40s and later Sd40-2...Never had the slightest trouble with any of them and am a huge fan of Bachmann locos and silver series rolling stock...The only thing iffy about Bachmann is the turnouts...Yes , the occasional derailment on the basic cheaper versions of SD40-2s due to snagging trucks on 18" radius but a quick nick with the dremel usually fixed that..The spectrums however are a joy and price wise are a bargain..With the BoBo..Gp38s and 40s...no trouble whatsoever..All up I have about seven of them and five SD40s..from Bachmann..You can buy much worse and pay way more for it..Cheers Rod

Rodney:

Almost all (85+%) of my locos (diesel and steam) are Bachmann. Price/value is there for me too. (Sold all my Athearn BlueBox locos about 4 years ago and not regretted it one bit - used them for about 16 years. Most of THEM had gear growl plus unpainted metal railings and easily-bendable railing stanchions.)

Regarding track, I use Atlas code 100 flex, Atlas crossing diamonds, and old (20+ years) Model Power electric turnouts.

DougC

The loco i have the issues with is the one that came with the EZ command and goes for $26 for the DC version. My other Bachmann was $80 (GP7). Hopefully this doesn't happen with the more expensive one! The cheap one doesn't even have flywheels (weights). So you're saying i shouldn't hold this one against them. I'll try updating my gp7 and see how that goes.

pjohnson1980:

Just to clarify, no, I'm not trying to say you shouldn't hold this one against them. Shucks, go ahead! Really, I sort of "hold it against" Athearn for their railings and gear growl (even though not all of their Blue Box engines have this noise), so I changed brand. We "vote" for manufacturers with our wallets.

And I agree with you we shouldn't have these kinds of problems with new-in-box products. But from all I read on this site and elsewhere, there seems to be hit-or-miss with most model railroad manufacturers.

As info I have over 15 of the Bachmann SD40-2s and only ONE of these has flywheels on the motor shafts. I think Bachmann is slowly over-all increasing their quality. I say "over-all" because some of their HO engines (mostly in sets I think) are "slimmed-down" in the quality department - lower quality motors for instance. However, I think all of my Bachmann GPs and SD40-2s use the same motor, and for 60+ car trains which I run a lot with SD40-2s, I don't miss any flywheels.

I think Bachmann's GP7 is a recent offering and has flywheels (I don't have a GP7) and should be of better quality.

Interesting hobby. I wish you well with your model railroading endeavors (whether you use brand A, and/or B, and/or C, or a mix).

As info, another poster on I think another model railroad forum said that he sees Bachman's HO engines today as replacing Athearn's old blue box engines. That is, the overall quality is notched up one step. I agree with this, even though there are still some new Bachmann engines out there that are hair-pullers for us owners.

DougC

What you have described here is a process that I go through with every single locomotive that I have acquired, new or used, plastic or brass, before it hits the rails. I have found that doing this, whether its an Athearn, Bachmann, Bowser, or Brass, etc prevents many things from becoming a problem later on down the "pike" so to speak.

Best thing the "tune up" does is it makes every locomotive run much, much better and quieter. In the thread on tips, I presented how to make an Athearn, from the old BB's to the latest run like it should, and there is even a thread on Spectrum steam locomotives that has many pictures. These posts are the result of being in the hobby for many years, and what I have learned about mechanisms that other everyday modelers, who don't have the experience, but are not afraid to learn, improve their loco's running without any exotic tools, or part replacements.

Apparently mine is a GP40, not an SD40. Not sure what the difference if. I just got done tweaking the motor cv's and ended up with my kp & ki at 40 & 10. The chatter is staying away for now :: knock on wood::

Apparently mine is a GP40, not an SD40. Not sure what the difference if. I just got done tweaking the motor cv's and ended up with my kp & ki at 40 & 10. The chatter is staying away for now :: knock on wood::

A SD-40 is a 6 axle locomotive and a GP-40 is a four axle locomotive.

Many folks forget that a Tsunami has those options for adjusting the motor. They complain about the poor low speed performance, and you discover that these were never adjusted off the default values. These are the CV's that need to be adjusted to get an optimized slow speed performance that can be as good, if not better than any other sound decoder out there.

A SD-40 is a 6 axle locomotive and a GP-40 is a four axle locomotive.

Many folks forget that a Tsunami has those options for adjusting the motor. They complain about the poor low speed performance, and you discover that these were never adjusted off the default values. These are the CV's that need to be adjusted to get an optimized slow speed performance that can be as good, if not better than any other sound decoder out there.

Thanks for the info! Mine is a nice and slow starter now. I still have to learn about the other 3 motor drive CVs. There are 5 of them just for motor drive control. I wish there was a YouTube video of someone adjusting all 5 of them from stock. I found the process for kp &ki, but not the others (like aperture sample time & motor recovery power). I bet you there's more performance i can squeeze out of it.

There probably is more that can be squeezed out. I would recommend that you download the Tsunami manuals from Soundtraxx's website. If you have any Tsunami steam, you'll need both the Tech manual and the Users guide. If you just have diesels, download the Diesel Technical Manual. These are free, and are about 100 pages, so I would save them to the computer. I also have a copy of a reference that was written by Jim Betz. I think I downloaded it specifically for the section on the PID section on Tsunami programming. If you would like a copy, I can send you one. Just drop me a PM with your e-mail address.

Back