Bachmann Battle of the Coral Sea Monument

The anniversary of the Battle of the Coral Sea,4th.to 8th.of May 1942,is coming up soon.
Some years ago,I bought a Bachmann Monument Kit,and detailed it with a US Serviceman on top,in a Park Setting on my10x5 US Layout .This was my tribute to the American servicemen and women,who I met as a boy during World War 2,and to whom I owe so much.
My parents entertained many of them at our home.
The Coral Sea battle was the one that initially stopped the invasion of Australia . So at 82 years of age ,this Bachmann Diorama reminds me of their sacrifice . The inscription reads "In memory of our veterans of foreign wars dedicated July 12 1970.The Jeep is a Boley HO scale model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Owen's a great artist, not sure how he is on uploading pics, would like to see this myself.

I will try again for a photo of the Bachmann Monument. Thank you Paul B, and Tutunkumin for your replies,I am better with a brush than a computer.

2008_0510TrainsEBay0001_zps12b541c0.png

Hi,PaulB, Thanks to my friend Tootunkumin,he managed to get my photo of the Bachmann HO Monument up . I painted a Soldier with a brown tunic to make it look like an American Army Officer,and he is on the top. Sunshine Express

My son picked out that set last fall at a shop in Louisville, Ky... they had one left on clearance for $5, it was modeled in a gray color and came with a grass mat, some colored flower scatter, a couple benches, a couple trash cans, a couple mailboxes, and a couple firehydrants. I've noticed at a train show that the monument is sold alone now, and I've seen in the Walthers book where the rest of the stuff from the set are sold together without the monument.

My Dad served in the Navy in the Pacific aboard a supply ship. He never made a big deal about. It was a job and it was over. Today would have been his 100th birthday. So to Dad and alll the men who did the job and got it over, my two layout monuments

Hi,PaulB, Thanks to my friend Tootunkumin,he managed to get my photo of the Bachmann HO Monument up . I painted a Soldier with a brown tunic to make it look like an American Army Officer,and he is on the top. Sunshine Express

It looks great. Nice job. My thanks to Ray for helping you upload the photo.

Still designing a layout for my son, I think I'm going to make the downtown have a roundabout (well, a squared one) like you see in some small towns here in Western Ky, but instead of having a courthouse in the middle have the war monument and a little park.

Hi,Rorsysm, Good idea,also think about a small Rotunda and add some People to bring it to life.Faller have a Playground Kit with enough Playground Equipment that did my School, Park,and some over. My Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren love it as I allow them to touch the swings etc., and see how they work,but do not play with them,as they would break.They understand. Cheers Owen

Back