Bachmann 2-8-0 consolidation no longer runs

doug1976

I woke up this morning to a locomotive that will no longer run, and the track it was running on is covered in black stuff, maybe oil or something. I cleaned off the track and the wheels of the loco, but it will not even light up. Other locos can run on the same track so this is not a wiring issue. Any ideas what may have happened and how I can fix it?

Is this the early Bachmann 2-8-0 based on the Reading engine with smoke? Is it a newer Spectrum model? Bachmann has a "lifetime" warranty on their items. The older engine is long out of production. The newer one can be repaired or replaced (usually the latter) by returning to Bachmann in Philadelphia with - I believe - $15.

Are all wires still connected to the small plugs? This would be a common problem on the Spectrums if it is totally dead.

It is the Spectrum model in N scale. I assume I need to open up the bottom compartment between the wheels to check on the wiring, I don't want to mess something up and then not be able to have Bachmann replace or repair it.

... the track it was running on is covered in black stuff, maybe oil or something.

I don't like the sound of that at all. If the tracks looked substantially different from what they looked like when you 'shut down' power the previous day, you may have had a fire that was, enormously fortunately, self-limiting. Maybe it was just a very hot 'event', but no flames. It was possibly due to a short.

It is far too coincidental that the tracks have a black film or guck on them that they didn't have hours earlier, and at the same time your engine is now mysteriously a door stop.

-Crandell

It definitely sounds as though something burned up, possibly caused by a smoke generator. I'd be very leary of using that loco again until I knew what caused the black residue and burned up loco wires. I had a Bachmann Mikado with a smoke generator. It caused innumerable problems. I finally disconnected the smoke generator but by then the motor had shut down. I sent it to Bachmann even though it was nearly 15 years old. They sent me a new Prarie that runs great even though its looks are nowhere near the quality of the old Mikado. It can smoke too, but I'm not going to oil it up. That's asking for trouble. You can go to the Bachmann website and find the form to order a new loco. Like jayl1 said, $15 and send in the old one. I'd call first to see what's available. I did.

My smokin HO mogul fouled up soon after the break in period. Just sat there looking sad.
Non spectrum. After a good cleaning of the internals (motor, pickups etc) it ran perfect again.
blew it out with electric motor cleaner, not pretty but it works
I also bought all the trick corect lubes etc at local shop. helps
Hard part is carefully getting the body off to protect it from chemicals.
Bachman tech support was exceptional.
You can call or email "The Bachmann"
I really like them.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the thing running again after a good cleaning of the track and the wheels. It happened again after it was off and we tried to start it up a second time, and I had a heck of a time getting it to run. I had to set another loco up on the track and have it pull or push the steamer, and finally after a few forward and backwards pushes the loco finally started to run by itself. It is N gague and I don't think they make any smoke locos, so that is not the issue (mine doesnt have that feature for sure). Something is probably burnt out on the inside is my guess, I probably should just send it back with 15 bucks and have the experts take a good hard look at it.

Indeed, just send it off to Bachmann and have them figure it out. If there's no smoke unit, it has to be lubricant leaking from somewhere in the gears or drivetrain. You really don't want to take a locomotive that Bachmann may be able to easily fix (or replace) and screw it up badly, thus voiding the warranty.

Back