Bachmann 0-6-0 & Slope Tender Rods & Drivers

RDC1

Dispatcher
Bachmann 0-6-0 Rod Removal

I tried to disassemble my 0-6-0 for cleaning and a lube job. One cylinder broke off, so I ordered these from Bachmann:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_155&products_id=866

They have a few more rods on than the originals, but I would have to remove the old rods from the drivers first. Is that a pin holding the rods on or a screw? The head is round.

B076.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi RDC1,
What Bachman sent out really enhances the operation of the engine from a visual standpoint. The additional valve gear is known as, Walschert valve gear and adds a lot of movement as the drivers rotate.

The only Pin that you would have to remove is from the back driver as that is where the long connecting rod on the new assembly attaches and pivots.

Your photo is sharp and show that the new valve gear has an elongated type of slot in it as that rotates along with the driver so be cautious when inserting the rear driver pins again to get the valve gear properly aligned so pin fits into the elongations in the Walschert rear drive linkage.

You'll really enjoy the added action as the engine drivers rotate.

Hope that helps?

Trussrod, you're right, the newer gear looks great :) The engine somehow looks tougher and it has great action.

Damn, those pins were in tight! This is not a procedure that I would want to perform often, even though the pins will probably come out much easier next time.

Thanks for the reply!

~ Dave

Back