ATSF LA Division, 2nd District. The Cucamonga, Pasadena and East LA RR (HO scale)

Really looking good there, Yannis!
I need to read the 1st page (cannot remember it). I like your choice of framework of using plywood rather than dimensional lumber. I know of several people who have done that and I want to do that on my next layout.

Thank you very much Sherrel for the kind words. It is 3/4" baltic birch plywood for the framework along with 5/8" for the subroadbed bench-tops joined using pocket holes. Plywood seemed much more solid, clean and straight than dimensional lumber (imho). Some of the "disposable" modules are on "recycled" benchwork from my previous layout which where made with dimensional lumber (pine).

Update time: Backdrop.

After a few days of work i finally finished the backdrop. It is EPS foam sheets along with PVC for the coved corners. Painted using acrylic home paint.

I hope you like it and thanks for stopping by!
Yannis

Backdrop0.jpgBackdrop4.jpgBackdrop5.jpgBackdrop7.jpg

More pictures to follow...

A real Work of Art Yannis! I especially like the era you chose [68-70], it's almost the same as mine [69-72].

During the first 6 months of my Navy enlistment when I was stationed in San Diego in 1973, I got a chance to see the Santa Fe in all its glory: U-boats and 2nd-generation EMDs on Tehacheppi Loop, red-warbonnet stainless steel F units on the Amtrak version of the Super Chief [not sure exactly which named train it was, just taking a wild guess..?] on Cajon Pass, and dark blue freight F units pulling a train out of the yard in Barstow. The ATSF at that time was modeler's paradise!

Many thanks Ken!!!

It is (for me) an interesting era, with respect to consists, cars and music. If i extend a bit into mid 1971 i can have Amtrak as well.

It is great that you got the chance to see all these trains back then! I wish to be able to visit the area at some point.

Wow! Impressive work thus far! I have had a fair amount of success with dimensional lumber, but I am buying the premium grade boards and it can get spendy in a hurry. I do not have a table saw, but if I did I would have to look at the birch plywood. I too built my layout in modules with the premise of moving it to a much larger space in the future. Subscribed!

Yankeedave23 many thanks for the kind words!

True the modular/sectional construction allows moving it and more importantly it allows me to work on my future layout now. I don't have a table saw either, i had the lumber yard cut the plywood to 3.5" strips. My previous benchwork was made out of pine and i prefer the properties of birch plywood to pine.

Working on cork roadbed now. Have spent several days on building benchwork / shelves for staging and a lift-up gate with all the locking-alignment provisions i could. Will update soon!

Thanks again.

Update time on the Pasadena RR!

Since my last update, i managed to install roadbed, tracks, wiring, tortoises and fascia, so i will gradually get you up to speed.

Roadbed is 5mm cork sheet cut to strips for the curves and other rectangular shapes for straight line runs. Track is Peco code 83 flextrack. The flextrack is glued into place whereas the turnouts are spiked into place. Feeder wires every 3' or denser than that in case turnouts are present. All curved tracks are soldered together while on most straight line runs i have left some joiners unsoldered to accommodate any expansion issues.

Thanks for stopping by!

Roadbed3.jpgRoadbed4.jpgTracklaying1.jpgTracklaying2.jpg

Back