Atlas U34CH questions

NYSW F45

I stopped by this local hobby shop that is mostly R/C stuff. I remember them having a small section of train stuff so i said why not check it out. Walked in and noticed they had completely changed the store. Much small and only 1 row of train products not including engines/rolling stock. I look over the shelf and see 2 boxes of Atlas U34CH's sitting there, my heart starts pumping with excitement as these are getting very hard to find. I ask how much, tells me after he knocks off $10 since its been sitting for a longggg time. I pay, drive away and pull over to check it out. Thats when I noticed 1.No instruction sheet 2. No details what so ever (grab irons,handrails,walk way handrails, nothing)

Does anyone know if there is a company out there that will sell the handrail kit for this loco?

And lastly how hard is it to throw in a decoder for dcc?

The U34CH was only made for Erie-Lackawanna for passenger service. I believe only 30 or so were made. Eventually became conrail, then NJDOT and finally NJ Transit. Only 1 survivor is actually accounted for in Passaic,NJ as its part of the NJ URHS collection. Alot were sold to alstom and worked in Mexico. Some pictures have surfaced with 1 beeing in texas and reportedly sold to NRE. Then there was a picture that had atleast 4 working somewhere in the midwest in the spring of '07. But nobody can verify the whereabouts of these loco's now. I even emailed alstom and nre to get info, but non returned my emails.

I agree, very nice looking locos. :cool: Hope that you find the pieces that you need NYSW, should be worth it.

I agree, very nice looking locos. :cool: Hope that you find the pieces that you need NYSW, should be worth it.

Thanks i'll see if i can take a pic later. Im hoping maybe i can pick up the other 3 they had. I didn't notice till i was leaving there was another display case with 2 more in the case. 3 different road #'s and another one that i just got. I went thru NCE's website but couldn't find a decoder that would work unless im just missing something. I also signed up for atlas' forums, but haven't gotten the approval yet.

I would think if you called or emailed Atlas, and tell them the parts were missing, they should be able to supply the missing parts.

Rotor

i'll try another email. But they never wrote back when I had asked if they had any future plans to re-release the U34ch.

Try this email addy:

csdept@atlasrr.com

Subject: Missing parts. Atlas Model Customer Service

You can also contact them at the following address:

Atlas Model Railroad Company
378 Florence Avenue
Hillside, NJ 07205
Phone: 908-687-0880

I would suggest calling. I seem to get a lot better response actually talking to a real person. The Atlas web site says they get over 100,000 emails a week!

Rotor

Just another photo with quite a few more on Fallenflags site. http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/el3358ckg.jpg

Excellent pic. One of the few times EL didn't know that they had sneeked the u34ch into freight service when they weren't on a passenger train.

I emailed Atlas and they got back to me and asked for my address so they can send the parts. Very surprised at the quickness. I should've just dropped by there business as im only like 20 minutes away from hillside,nj.

Here's some quick pics taken earlier with lil sis's cam.
PICT0661.png

PICT0662.png

PICT0658.png

PICT0663.png

I emailed Atlas and they got back to me and asked for my address so they can send the parts. Very surprised at the quickness. I should've just dropped by there business as im only like 20 minutes away from hillside,nj.

Good to hear Atlas will take care of the missing parts! I figured they would.

The loco looks good. Hope you enjoy it!

Rotor

I do hope to add a few missing details from the factory. On the nose the U34CH has a red marker light as in the pic above you can see it didn't come with it. I dont think there were any marker lights on the long hood end. And I will not be adding ditch lights to this. Just the MU cable and trainline connections, maybe a small plow. I'll have to look at some pics from the late 80's early 90's. I can't figure out what color blue was used on the EL/NJDOT U34CH's and E8's that were aquired from southern rr back when NJT first got started in 1983. I want to paint my dash 9 in a modern E-L passenger loco.

Back