Atlas Turntable

Dougget

Hi,
Is anyone using the 9" Atlas turntable? It seems to sit on the bench (not needing a hole to sit in). Can someone show me a few close-up shots of how the track lines up with the turntable track? What road bed do you use to ensure the track and turntable are at the same level?

Thanks,
Doug

No pictures but you're correct, the turntable does sit right on the layout, not in a pit. In order for the tracks to line up with the turntable track, they have to be laid right on the surface as well. The turntable is made for code 100 track. If you're using code 83 or smaller, you'll have to build a thin roadbed under the track so the rail heights match.

Okay, that sounds promising. I am planning to use some type of roadbed, but I can taper down to surface level for the tracks leading to the turntable.

Would still like to see some close up pics if anyone has them.

Thanks for the reply.
Doug

I have an Atlas turntable at the end of one of my staging tracks.
It is on a plywood shelf that shares the space with pickles and jellies.
(didn't take long before the better half figured out the hole in the wall!:rolleyes:)
Sorry for the poor quality pics, hope it at least gives you a better idea...

I had to sink mine in the plywood because I didn't use any roadbed in the engine maint. area. If you go to the "New GAP RR" thread, you can see what I did.
I've been trying to find a larger surface mounted turntable, but no one makes it. Large diesels won't fit the 9" table. To much overhang.

Larry

Whoops, my bad, you do have to use the standard cork roadbed for the track because of the height of those plastic track cutouts. If you're using code 83 or smaller rail, you could just shim the track right at the turntable to match up rail heights.

As you can tell, it's been a few years since I installed one of those turntables. :eek:

Thanks to all.

Pictures are perfect. Just what I needed to see. It seems like that turntable will be perfect for my layout.

Thanks,
Doug

If you use Atlas code 83 flex track, it will mtch the height of the rails on the code 100 turntable. Atlas made their code 83 ties 'taller' so that they would match up with their code 100 flex track. If you are using Walthers-Shinohara or M-E flex track, you will need to 'shim' the track to get it to match.

Jim

Back