Atlas' GP40-2w pics are up...

They are both the same size but due to the slight angle and lighting one looks longer then the other. Now if the pic was taken straight on of the coupler the you woud see they are the same. I would bet $$$$$$$ on it.

Yes, you're right. The cabs are 100% the same size, manufactured. The cabs are exactly the same on the SD40-2Ws as well. EMD/GMD wouldn't change dimensions willy-nilly, after all they have jigs in the factory to build them.

I would honestly give up a kidney to get a handful of the Canadian Prototype Replica cabs.. they were so nice, and with flush-mounting window castings too!!!

I would honestly give up a kidney to get a handful of the Canadian Prototype Replica cabs.. they were so nice, and with flush-mounting window castings too!!!

They still pop up on Ebay from time to time, just set up a search to email you when they pop up. The Atlas release might flush some of them out of basement collections...:D

is 8''-10'' really a big deal in ho or N scale???
i could understand if they made a dd40 with 3 axles instead of 4
or a sd40-2 with two axle trucks.
There seem to be a LOT of NIT PICKING going on lately.
At least we have train that WORK
the way there ment to and look like what there modeled after

Sorry but that way of thinking is what is driving this world down the toilet, "I'll just settle on it being wrong" then the next time what price are we willing to pay for it the next time when it's a lot more wrong like the Intermountain SD40-2W, but everyone is so quick to bash Railflyer Models due to the price? sorry I will stick with Railflyer and pay just a little bit more for an accurate model, because by the time you invest in correcting a incorrect model you just paid for the cost of an accurate model from Railflyer.

I understand that modifying models (kitbashing) is part of the game but that isn't the case here, ATLAS and the others say they are releasing an accurate model but fall short of the actual truth and most of the modeling community just goes with the flow and shells out the money blindly while the manufactures see this and doesn't spend the time to correct what they produce out of greed and haste to please the requests, and yes it's a tough job to settle on one make or model because of the variants in the models, but do it correctly for what our hard earned money is to purchase!

Found a picture here http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=55655&nseq=2 These are two GF-430 but the the "d" model on the left seem to have a longer cab nose. Not sure if this is an illusion or a camera issue.

It is an illusion, I work for CN and have measured all these classes of units and they are the same give or take a 1/2 inch, the color of the faded and being in the sun makes the cab look longer than the shadowed 9401.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroller
Found a picture here http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...d=55655&nseq=2 These are two GF-430 but the the "d" model on the left seem to have a longer cab nose. Not sure if this is an illusion or a camera issue.

It is an illusion, I work for CN and have measured all these classes of units and they are the same give or take a 1/2 inch, the color of the faded and being in the sun makes the cab look longer than the shadowed 9401.

gtwhogger, thanks for the clarification.

If any one hasn't seen a correct GMDD cab in model form, check out this link
http://sites.google.com/a/railflyer...its/gmdd-wide-cab---north-american-safety-cab

There was a mistake on the window gaskets radius but this has been corrected and if anyone has purchased this cab before the correction Railflyer Model Prototypes Inc. will replace the window gasket photo etch and glazing to repair the mistake, just drop Chris a line and he will make good on it.

Well all the pics of the different schemes are up on the website...and the nose is long as seen on the pre-production...

Oh well, I'll be getting an undec and trashing the cab...:rolleyes:

sorry I will stick with Railflyer and pay just a little bit more for an accurate model, because by the time you invest in correcting a incorrect model you just paid for the cost of an accurate model from Railflyer.

I'm going to disagree with you on that one....but in a good way!

I don't think paying to correct the inaccurate model would pay for the cost of an accurate model from Railflyer, I think it would MORE THAN pay for it. So basically, I think it would be cheaper to pay for the correct Railflyer model to begin with, than to pay for an incorrect model and then have to pay again for the corrections to it.

Just to clarify, my time is worth something to me, so I'm factoring that in.

Calm down! The model was delayed for two years just so that they can fix the nose length issue! I asked about it on the Atlas forums and an Atlas rep confirmed that they made tooling adjustments and the nose length was one of them! (it doesn't seem that they have updated their website with new photos yet)

With very minor exceptions, the Atlas model is very accurate!

Photos have been posted on this thread of the final product:
http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=65737

(my apologies to the moderators if that link was against the rules. I couldn't find anything in the rules that said that links of this type are not allowed, but I haven't seen any so far.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Atlas did fix the issues with the model minus some smaller ones like the handrail. Now you can have a fully accurate Railflyer model down to every nut and bolt for $255 and a lot of time building and painting or a good enough Atlas model for a street price of around $130, or if you can find one you can also have an Overland Brass model for $400 - $900 depending what the asking price is. I am very pleased with Atlas model and I am sure Railflyer can make a superdetailing KIT for those wishing to improve the Atlas version a little bit if they want.

Atlas did nose headlights for GP40s, GP40-2s, and SD35s (and maybe others, I don't remember)

It is nice to get a somewhat unique engine for my roster :D

The GP40-2W is one of those engines that no one anticipated to be mass-produced and RTR.

After seeing a couple of these units in person I ended up ordering three CN and one Guilford. Overall they look pretty good to my eyes and I think all I will end up changing will be the horribly over sized ditch lights and the windshield wipers.

Back