Atlas Geep 38 Details--I want to get them right.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
I posted this on the MR but no one wants to tackle it.

I have four questions. This is an Atlas Master to which I just added sound.

On all the pictures, I've seen of the B&P GP-38 #2000, the drop step is down. Yet on the model the step is up. There seems to be no good way to put the step in the down position. How do I do this?

Once again the pictures all show the prototype to have the plow installed. There seem to be the beginnings of guide holes. I'm assuming that the holes have to be drilled out. If so, what size bit should I use.

As near as I can figure, the ECAFB goes behind the cab on the left side. There seems to be a guide peg on the bottom of the model ECAFB, but unlike the plow, there is no starter hole. However, there seems to be a guide hole on the bottom that would have to be drilled up through the deck. Is this the case, and if so, what size bit?

(As an aside, what exactly is an ECAFB and why does it appear to be an optional part. It is hard to tell, but it seems to be in the pictures.)

Lastly there are 2 black pedestal looking things that the top measures about 3/32 x 3/16. I have no clue what they are or where they go. Any ideas?

SpaceMouse said:
On all the pictures, I've seen of the B&P GP-38 #2000, the drop step is down. Yet on the model the step is up. There seems to be no good way to put the step in the down position. How do I do this?
I wouldn't worry about that itty-bitty detail, that's like saying the fireman's door is always open. More trouble than its worth IMHO.

SpaceMouse said:
Once again the pictures all show the prototype to have the plow installed. There seem to be the beginnings of guide holes. I'm assuming that the holes have to be drilled out. If so, what size bit should I use.
I'm no Atlas weenie, but here's how I would approach it:
I would hold up various size drill bits next to the "male end" thing on the plow (nada clue as to what its officially called) until I find a bit that is just a slightly smaller diameter than what will fit into the hole; then take a piece of scrap styrene, drill a hole into that, and see if you the plow connector fits snugly into that. If it does, voila - you've found the right size bit to use on the actual model! Otherwise try the next larger size bit, repeat the above steps on the piece of scrap til you find the right size...

SpaceMouse said:
As near as I can figure, the ECAFB goes behind the cab on the left side. There seems to be a guide peg on the bottom of the model ECAFB, but unlike the plow, there is no starter hole. However, there seems to be a guide hole on the bottom that would have to be drilled up through the deck. Is this the case, and if so, what size bit?
Same as above...

SpaceMouse said:
Lastly there are 2 black pedestal looking things that the top measures about 3/32 x 3/16. I have no clue what they are or where they go. Any ideas?
Sorry, nada clue on that one...

CSX_road_slug said:
I'm no Atlas weenie, but here's how I would approach it:
I would hold up various size drill bits next to the "male end" thing on the plow (nada clue as to what its officially called) until I find a bit that is just a slightly smaller diameter than what will fit into the hole; then take a piece of scrap styrene, drill a hole into that, and see if you the plow connector fits snugly into that. If it does, voila - you've found the right size bit to use on the actual model! Otherwise try the next larger size bit, repeat the above steps on the piece of scrap til you find the right size...

There's the rub. I don't own anything smaller than a 1/16. To get what I need I'm going to have to order it. OR borrow it. I think I'll micrometer it.

The drop step, if it's molded in place (can't remember - my 38 is put away), can be trimmed from the handrails and glued back in place or replaced by an aftermarket part. The drop steps are movable on the C30-7 and U33C, but they can be tough to move around. If the drop step is movable like the big GEs, then some playing with it will get it to move.

Get a set of dial calipers if you don't already have some. Then buy a set of miniature wire bits. Measure the nubs on the plow, measure the bits and the closest one wins.

As for the ECAFB, I'm not sure that nub is supposed to be inserted into a hole into the cab or body. I think there is a little gap and the end of the nub should fit flush against the locomotive.

I don't remember the black thing you're talking about.

The ECAFB tab is .062
The plow tab is .033

What number drill bits do I need?

Then buy a set of miniature wire bits.

I have only analog calipers. [:D] If there were a set of small bit availible anywhere near me, I'd have them. I'm going to have to order them. But if I know the size, I might be able to borrow them.

The ECAFB is the air filter for air going into the electronics cabinet inside the cab. I usually just clip off the nub and glue the thing direct to the walkway. I fit it right up against the back of the cab wall, though I don't think it's supposed to be that close.

The two pedestal-like things are air intakes that sometimes go in front of or behind the dynamic brake fan. I have a couple of those for the GP40l. For the 38, you may not need them. You need to look at a roof view of the loco you're modelling, to see if they're there. Not all 38s had them.

Kennedy

Kennedy

Back