Atlas #4 Turnouts

TrevorG

ProtoLancing-Fretotyping
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a quick and straight answer to my question. Please don't point me at WiringforDCC.com I've been there and read it all and just got very confused:( .

I am using Atlas #4 turnouts on my layout. I plan on beginning my DCC wiring this weekend. Is there anything special I need to do to wire up my turnouts, or can I just drop feeders from the tracks and go along my merry way?

Thanks in Advance,
Trevor

Trevor

Drop in the feeders and go on your merry way:) Atlas is probably one of the most user friendly switches in DCC. Just keep the gromets clean and make sure they close tight. No special tricks as they don't short out when the switch closes in the opposite direction.

Bob A.

Trevor, my favorites when I can get them are Walthers Shinohara, but I have plenty of Atlas #4's and #6's throughout the layout. Never a problem with DCC:Install and run.

You may find some of the #4's a little warped on the through rail, but this shouldn't be a problem in less you stack them in a ladder and run a large steamer through them too fast (which ain't a good idea anyway:rolleyes: :D :D )

The Atlas turnouts are DCC friendly. However, I do solder jumpers around the hinges on the turnout. Just makes me feel more confident about their longevity.

The Atlas turnouts have a little screw hole if you want to power the frog. There's a way to do that, depending on how you're throwing the turnout.

On my layout, I don't do any of that. The only locos that have problems going through them are any 4-6-2 steamers; they all seem to have issues no matter what turnout they go through. It's all wheelbase-oriented; I need tender pickups as well.

As far as electrical reliability, I've run into two of them that seem to have power routing issues on the diverging. There's a real big dead spot if the hinge isn't tight (or, there's some manufacturing flaw). This causes most of my locos to stop right there, but if I press down on the ties, the loco starts up again.

I've pulled those two off the layout and put them into the 'to be fixed' pile.

Kennedy

HaggisKennedy said:
As far as electrical reliability, I've run into two of them that seem to have power routing issues on the diverging. There's a real big dead spot if the hinge isn't tight (or, there's some manufacturing flaw). This causes most of my locos to stop right there, but if I press down on the ties, the loco starts up again.

I've pulled those two off the layout and put them into the 'to be fixed' pile.

Kennedy

Kennedy, Try cleaning the points and the inside of the rails they mate with using #600 grit sandpaper and carefully remove any debris with electrical contact cleaner. We had several Atlas turnouts with dead spots. Once "cleaned" the locos will creep over them very slowly.

Back