Athearn vs. Bachmann.

This morning I took my two Models outside and Photographed them together. compare the two.

The BN 7849 is on the right and the BNSF 6821 is on the left.
BNSD40-2BNSFSD40-2001.png

BNSD40-2BNSFSD40-2002.png

BNSD40-2BNSFSD40-2003.png

BNSD40-2BNSFSD40-2004.png

Are you looking for us to pick which is better?.........I'll call it a tie. The BN seems to have better paint/decal work and I can see wipers , but the BNSF has finer railings and a snowplow. You didn't mention which was the Athearn and which was the Bachmann......I'd guess the BN is the Bachmann. Both are nice engines.

Are you looking for us to pick which is better? You didn't mention which was the Athearn and which was the Bachmann.

Exactly -- "And the point is?" :D

Both are very good looking models, whatever the answer is. Bachmann and Athearn ... they've come a long way, haven't they? [Even though the rivet counters will probably have something unflattering to say...]

Thanks for taking the time to share your pictures with us! ;)

Its a Tie, since this was pre Athearns newer run SD40-2 with railroad prototype details, it isn't really fair. One thing wrong with the Bachmann, the fact that its a BN engine and has no plow.

Both fine looking engines, no doubt, especially considering the price point on the Bachmann. The one glaring error on the BN Bachmann is the two front windshields. Athearn did a much better job with the size and placement than did Bachmann. The Athearn handrails are much finer and attach to the body in a more prototypical manner. OTOH, anyone who doesn't want their Bachmann, I'll be happy to take it off thier hands. :D

Thanks for the comments everyone. I wanted to post this topic mainly because of the brand model itself. Not the Road name. The BN is the Bachmann. The BNSF is the Athearn. Both are very good runners.

to me the bn unit looks a little bit better. maybe its the paint that makes the details stand out better.

I gotta agree there, Bachmann can't seem to get any of their windows just right. Also, the paint on the cab front looks traditionally thick on the BN.

Both fine looking engines, no doubt, especially considering the price point on the Bachmann. The one glaring error on the BN Bachmann is the two front windshields. Athearn did a much better job with the size and placement than did Bachmann. The Athearn handrails are much finer and attach to the body in a more prototypical manner. OTOH, anyone who doesn't want their Bachmann, I'll be happy to take it off thier hands. :D

i like them both. green and orange are my favorite colors. there was a time when i would see those post merger bnsf paint schemes 5 deep running elephant style pulling a coal drag through town and i would give chase for miles just to get infront of it so i could set up a good shot. thats before gas was 4.00+ a gallon though. but the classic bn scheme, although rather plain is still a classic. you can never go wrong with green :). As a freelance graphic designer, paint schemes and logos are one of the most intriguing aspects of the American railroad culture and its a big part of why Im here. you have 2 fine looking engines on your hands. its impossible to choose.

Back