Athearn switches to SoundTraxx Tsunami!!!!

CP9302

It is official, Athearn is switching to Tsunami Sound for future Genesis releases! This is great news! I may actually buy an Athearn with sound now!

From Athearn:

April 29, 2009

Athearn to Offer SoundTraxx Tsunami Equipped Locomotives

Athearn Trains is excited to announce that all sound-equipped HO-scale Genesis locomotives, as well as Athearn N Scale and Roundhouse sound locomotives announced after April 27th, 2009 will proudly feature SoundTraxx Tsunami Digital Sound Decoders. Custom designed for Athearn, these state-of-the-art Digital Sound Decoders will include the following features:

* Tsunami technology that provides smoot and precise locomotive operation.
* Back-EMF control for consistent operating speeds.
* Compatible with the NMRA DCC Standards and Recommended Practices.
* Dual-mode capability to allow for operation on Analog or DCC layouts.
* 16-bit digital processor provides CD quality sound technology.
* Diesel decoders will include the following sound effects: prime mover startup/shutdown, bell, air horn (with several user-selectable horn types), air compressor, turbocharger (where applicable), dynamic brakes (where applicable), brake squeal, fans, coupler crash, and many more.
* Steam decoders will include the following sound effects: exhaust chuff, bell, whistle, air pump, dynamo, injectors, and many more.
* HO-Scale models will feature effect lighting (as applicable per prototype), including:
o Mars oscillating signal lights (clear and red, as applicable per prototype)
o Pyle Gyralights (clear and red, as applicable per prototype)
o Western-Cullen rotary beacons
o Prime Stratolite sequential beacons
o Xenon Strobes
o Flashing ditch lights
o and more!
* Programmable acceleration, deceleration, and starting voltage.
* Supports 14-bit address modes for addressing any Loco number up to 9,999.
* Supports programming on the main.

Please visit www.Athearn.com keyword: SoundTraxx, to obtain a list of specific locomotives that will be equipped with SoundTraxx Digital Sound decoders.

The Folks at Athearn

I'm not that impressed with sound decoders but the Tsunami is defiantly starting to make me think about it a little more. I may just have to buy the WC F45 with sound this time around.

Thanks for sharing!

Steve

At least they finely wised up and dumped MRC after so many disasters with that outfit. It will be interesting to see what kind of deal they've cut with Soundtraxx and how it will affect the prices of locomotives. If they keep the prices down, they should sell tons of models and the Tsunami will rapidly become the default sound system for model railroads.

I'm sure they made the decision a while back. They announced right after the Tsunami models made especially for Athearn were released.

yea I saw that blip on soundtraxx the other day about the drop in decoders for athern.

I like my MRC DCC system but I think they have missed a few important things. such as not set up to allow decoder pro use and some of there decoders were not able to read back cv settings etc... this should help athern in the long run

Trent

Definitely a good move! Soundtraxx will make the new Genesis locos much better! The GN-1000 will be going in a lot of older ones too!

Was this move a financial one? I mean, I've only been back in the hobby for a year, but several of my shops have the MRC equipped Genesis locomotives just gathering dust. Yet, when a store gets a Soundtraxx shipment, if you aren't there when they come in, you don't get one. I assumed that if people don't like the quality of sound, then they don't buy.

Fred and Trey, I heard about the possibility of the move about four months ago. I think it is a good one for BOTH companies. Athearn, by far and away, is the biggest "gun" in the hobby. And the quality of the Tsunami is unquestionable. Win-win for both. And the hobbyist gets a huge push forward also.

I don't think that it is a financial move, just a natural progression in the hobby.

Bob

They did make the decision a while back, the word has been floating around the net for 2 weeks now, that they would be making the announcement...

I think it was a financial move. If you put out better product, you sell more and make more money. That's financial to me.

regardless the Soundtraxx will have far more options availible. I suspect it will be simmilar to the decoders that are used in the bachmann spectrum line?

I hope that the engines have "plug-type" decoders. It would be sorry to have to replace a whole "motherboard chip" if you fry the decoder.

I still don't think that it is a "financial" move in the loose sense. I do not think either company has the wolves baying at the door. I did't see them getting "bailout" money. Nothing more than having two companies that boast great sales combining to put out a superior product.(Kind of like Cingular and ATT combining forces to form a better company. Which by the way didn't happen. Their customer service now sucks.)

Still it is a win for the hobbyist.

Bob

Back