Athearn SD 40 Current Keeper install

NYC_George

Now that I solved my Athearn RTR SD 40 speed problems I wanted to add a soundtraxx current keeper. I noticed the board had tabs for CK and GNR. So I looked at the documentation and found nothing. I called Soundtraxx and asked them if the tabs were for their current keeper. They said, yes but it's not in the Athearn instructions. He said, if you solder the wires to the tabs you'll void the warrant. You don't have to solder them but I did along with the new speaker I installed, tabs SP+ SP -. So it's easy to add a current keeper to this engine just don't solder the wires like I did use the little black push on's if you have some extras lying around.

athearn_ck.jpg

George

I have 2 SD40 MRL units that I would like to install these on. This is good to know, I inquired about this months ago to soundtraxx. They said it was possible, but couldn't give me specifics. So I take it everything works fine? Where did you place your current keeper? I replaced my factory speakers with sugar cubes over the rear trucks, so they wont fit there. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved it out of the way to show you the current keeper connections on the board. I just put mine right on top of the Soundtraxx board. There more than enough room. It's works fine.

George

Have you a pic of the sugar cubes installed? And how does the sound compare to the factory ones?

I don't have a pic right now, would have to remove shell. Basically I just unscrewed factory speaker and placed the cube enclosure into the factory space. It fit snug so no glue was needed. It's taller but no clearance issues are present. I got them from Tony's Trains and yes they do sound a lot better. The horn is deeper and the annoying high pitched whine is gone. They seem to balance the sound better.

Thanks Torsion, confirms my impression about the sound quality of the factory speaker. I did the reversing of that to bring the speaker cone facing upward, improved the volume but not the pitch. Have got one of the worst horn "noises" of any I've heard. Bit like the old "Ooga" horns of the early 1900's.

Back