articulated madness !!!

I would turn the question around. Is there someone out there who actually likes them? Pure junk in every sense of the word. When I finally gave up trying to get the MRC decoder to work right, I went out and purchased a Tsunami for it. As I recall that was the first Tsunami I ever purchased, right after the "real" Tsunami in the Indian Ocean on Christmas Eve. It is still sitting in the box with the loco. Just one more project I've never gotten around to.

So many projects not done. I know the feeling. Thankfully these are ones I won't have to add to my list as I still operate in the stone ages with DC.

I have a question about those great looking locomotives. Are the rear locomotives free to pivot like the front, or are they rigid like the prototype ?

Yes ONLY the front engine pivots. The hinge is right in front of the rear cylinders. The weight of the boiler rests on a plate system which slides over a similar plate attached on the front engine. the rear engine unit is attached to the boiler and cab at the back of the frame and at the rear cylinders, where they attach to the boiler.

Yes ONLY the front engine pivots. The hinge is right in front of the rear cylinders. The weight of the boiler rests on a plate system which slides over a similar plate attached on the front engine. the rear engine unit is attached to the boiler and cab at the back of the frame and at the rear cylinders, where they attach to the boiler.

Yt's nice to see proper modeling. My Yellowatone has a fixed rear engine and tracks just fine, even on code 70 track. Unfortunately the Riverossi Challenger,s rear engine is not fixed (guess I could fix it) but I imagine that the manufacturers are doing this so they can be run on smaller radius turns. My mainline does have a 32 inch minimum radius.

B&O 2-8-8-0 Mallet

Here are a few photos of a Rivarossi 2-8-8-0 I had at one time. I had it nicely weathered and it ran real nice with its new style can motor in the center of the boiler rather than the old style motors in the cab area.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30272

I really liked that loco, but I sold it in anticipation of making my newly acquired Powerhouse loco into a B&O mallet.

Oriental Powerhouse 2-8-8-2

As I posted on that other discussion, I just recently acquired a Oriental Powerhouse 2-8-8-2 loco that I am considering converting it into a model of the B&O 2-8-8-0. And I will likely equip it with a vandy tender since this loco came to me without a tender.

This Powerhouse model has a cast metal boiler and was built by Samhongsa. It might be termed a hybrid.

I was doing a little search via google and ran across this site that discusses a bit about the running qualities of various brass engines (I know this subject of brass running qualities was raised before in this thread):
http://brassbackshop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=837&sid=0916f49bb34298a5cf918d13818414de

I was particularly happy to see this comment;
"The Powerhouse Series steam engines, even though zamac-boilered hybrids in the case of the articulates, that Samhongsa built for Oriental Limited during the mid-1980's were intended to be low priced, good running hybrid models. They have been a favorite on layouts that see heavy use. Howard Zane has stated that he preferred to use the Powerhouse 2-8-8-2's on his huge layout for daily running (at least until recent years when other hybrid models came along)."

BTW this loco was built true to the prototype in that only the front egine (set of drivers) pivots, and the back engine(set of drivers) does not pivot, but are rigid with the frame.

I'll get some pics soon....here is that link...
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=304535&postcount=9

Last edited by a moderator:
OK my turn. No layout at home, and this is too much stuff to carry to the club plus the photography equipment so please pardon the plain white background :D Here are mine:

This one is a Balboa AM-2. Kind of the baby cab forward, originally intended for fast passenger service. You'll never see this one in plastic! Has been given a new can motor, but still needs to go through the paint shop. Pardon her nakedness!:eek:

AM-2_zpsb63fca80.jpg

Next up is a Westside AC-4. This one is also brass, and has been remotored, decodered and painted. Not a bad runner or puller either!

AC-4_zpsaf5df00d.jpg

This one is a Max Gray AC-9, another one you'll probably never see in plastic. One of the few coal burners ever seen on the SP, and later converted to burn oil. This one is the coal burning version. Needs repainted, remotered and decodered. Great model, though it's 1960's drive is a little noisy!

AC-9_zps6fddad35.jpg

Last one up is the Intermountain AC-12. This one is pretty but has the crummy motor the second run had. It will be going back to intermountain for a new motor. Sounds great, and after the new motor will pull better too!

AC-12_zps4ae04ce4.jpg

There are one or two more in the basement but this is enough showing off for one night! Enjoy :D:D:D:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
OORAH! Just pulled the trigger on a Rivarossi Allegheny.... new in the box ....that makes two of the brutes first one was a Key Imports

OK my turn. No layout at home, and this is too much stuff to carry to the club plus the photography equipment so please pardon the plain white background :D Here are mine:

This one is a Balboa AM-2. Kind of the baby cab forward, originally intended for fast passenger service. You'll never see this one in plastic! Has been given a new can motor, but still needs to go through the paint shop. Pardon her nakedness!:eek:

AM-2_zpsb63fca80.jpg

Next up is a Westside AC-4. This one is also brass, and has been remotored, decodered and painted. Not a bad runner or puller either!

AC-4_zpsaf5df00d.jpg

This one is a Max Gray AC-9, another one you'll probably never see in plastic. One of the few coal burners ever seen on the SP, and later converted to burn oil. This one is the coal burning version. Needs repainted, remotered and decodered. Great model, though it's 1960's drive is a little noisy!

AC-9_zps6fddad35.jpg

Last one up is the Intermountain AC-12. This one is pretty but has the crummy motor the second run had. It will be going back to intermountain for a new motor. Sounds great, and after the new motor will pull better too!

AC-12_zps4ae04ce4.jpg

There are one or two more in the basement but this is enough showing off for one night! Enjoy :D:D:D:cool:
man nice collection!!!!!!!!!! BUT I WOULD GIVE MY LEFT N*****T FOR THE AC-9!!! :cool:

man nice collection!!!!!!!!!! BUT I WOULD GIVE MY LEFT N*****T FOR THE AC-9!!! :cool:

Yeah I thought you were the AC-9 fan :D I feel your pain. Took me several years to talk the former owner out of it. Max gray models came with a chemically blackened chassis so that modelers who didn't have the skills or just didn't want to take the running gear apart could paint just the boiler and tender shells. I have no such reservations and when I get to this one she'll be stripped to the frames!

wow guess my left nut isnt worth that much cause they didnt take my bid on the brass AC-9 :p

Black, I have been told by more than a few grey hairs to watch purchasing brass sight unseen. Of course it is probably not the rule of thumb that 90% will screw you. But, the only reason I don't have an AC-9 yet is because the 2 that I have previewed and test ran before purchasing were terrible. I might have been able to get them running top notch but the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. I have not been able to preview a Key/Sam yet though. Word has it they are the Ferrari's of the 9's. Food for thought.

Of course, you can do what an old friend did down in Mobile. He took the AHM/Rivarossi cab forward, turned it around, removed the "cab front" opening up the cab. He then built a new front porch for it, using a Cal-scale pilot, brass diamond plate for the porch itself, to which he replaced the headlight etc with brass castings. Removed all details and replaced with brass castings either where they came from, or in new locations. He replaced the motor with a can, scratch built a skyline casting, and replaced the drawbar with a scratched one. Lastly he redid the CF tender, and turned it into a coal hauler. (Not sure whether he scratched a new body, or modified the oil part.) It looked like an AC-9 and ran like the jewel it became. He won contests with it from the local division one, the regional and even took 3rd at the National.

Total cost he told me over and above the price of the loco was under $100 bucks.

I Wouldn't mind owning an articulated, and although the Burlington ran a few, mostly hand-me-downs from the GN, and the NP ran some heavy ones, they weren't very common on the Q.
I wasn't aware the Q ever had any articulated locomotives other than the 19 T1s and T2 class 2-6-6-2s purchased new in 1910.

I wasn't aware the Q ever had any articulated locomotives other than the 19 T1s and T2 class 2-6-6-2s purchased new in 1910.

Actually the Q had one (1) T-3 a 2-8-8-2 Mallet, the only one of that wheel arrangement. It was converted to oil and used primarily in the Black Hills area. IMHO, it was an ungainly-looking beast. Some of the T-1's came from the GN, and sported Belpaire fireboxes that were popular with that road. Some of the 2-6-6-2's were eventually rebuilt into 0-8-0 F-1 switchers.

Back