Armed Railway Postal Clerk

Burlington Bob

Just an interesting video about passenger trains. The one thing I noticed that I've never seen before is a Railway Postal clerk that appears to be wearing a gun and holster at about 2:05 in the video. My question is, why?

Another thing to note is the engineer doesn't get to eat, because of his attention to his job for the safety of the passengers.:rolleyes::eek: That's mentioned at about 8:00 minutes in. Also, no crew change.

Yes, RPO clerks did carry sidearms. I suppose this practice dated back to the Wild West. On the other hand, Engineers did eat on the job, while performing their duties. While it did not affect vigilance, it did affect digestion:(.

Just an interesting video about passenger trains. The one thing I noticed that I've never seen before is a Railway Postal clerk that appears to be wearing a gun and holster at about 2:05 in the video. My question is, why?

My guess would be that the firearms were issued due to potential for robberies of certain shipments (gold, silver, cash, etc).

My guess would be that the firearms were issued due to potential for robberies of certain shipments (gold, silver, cash, etc).

There is a Yahoo Group dealing with the railway Mail service, in case you are interested. I am not a subscriber, but a friend is and occasionally he shares items of mutual interest.

By grande man;

That was my first thought too. Then I started to think that if there was a valuable shipment they would be armed more along the lines of Brinks guards. A little more firepower and guards dedicated to nothing but lookouts/guard duty.

After all, Jesse James and kindred spirits had been gone for a considerable time by then. Aside from the Great Train Robbery in Great Britain, I don't recall anything comparable in modern times.

For a long time, dating from when Jesse & associates were sticking up trains, U.S. Post Office employees and related personnel were armed. Until cancellation of the airlines' mail contracts, and prior to current anti-terror situations, so were airline pilots!

Express messengers, though employed by private companies, Wells, Fargo, American Express, Adams Express, and the combined Railway Express, armed their personnel, particularly when there were large amounts of cash, jewelry, etc., on board express cars.
Double-action revolvers, including M1877 Colt's Lightnings and Smith & Wesson 3rd Model Double-action revolvers exist from the Turn-of-the-20th Century period, that are stamped with the company name and usually an inventory number.

Today, crooks have it less physically threatening. They can hack computer accounts, commit identity theft, etc., that makes the Wild Bunch and the James/Youngers' look like five-and-dime shoplifters! :(

I have worked for the postal service. My boss, who was an old timer, was issued a gun to protect registered mail at the airport until the times changed when people started going postal.

People rob and steal mail every day. That is why there is the United States Postal Inspector Service. The amount of information contained within a single mail truck is vast. People still get social security checks, pay their bills, and send all kinds of information through the mail. During the holidays, I can only imagine how many gift cards go through the mail.

Even today, registered mail is the most secure mail. Every bag has a special lock on it, which has a serial number as well as number that advances each time the lock is opened. All of the information about the lock alone and the contents of the bag is recorded every day at your local post office. If the numbers do not jog with the numbers on the lock, then a whole inspection takes place, and you can bet someone is being fired. Generally, a registered mail bag goes between a processing center and local post office. Since both locations keep records on the lock it is very easy to tell if it has been tempered with. The key for the registered mail bag is locked in a safe when not needed. The key alone is an accountable item, and the person checking it out, better not lose it as one key opens all of the locks. However, it is put into safe during the non-operating hours.

Now back to the exact subject of railroad post offices. The security of the mail was just as important if not more back then. In the 1960s and prior there were no electronic payments. Checks, cash, sensitive information about someone's social security number etc., all went through the mail. The priority of any postal person is to ensure the security of the mail. Even in a car accident, the mail must be secured before you check on the other driver. It depends on the situation, but if mail starts blowing into the street, the postal carrier must go get it.

Even today, terrorists target postal vehicles. Unbelievably, they wish to steal those vehicles, because no one questions those vehicles. Those vehicles have access to all government buildings and what not. If one of those vehicles got stolen just imagine how much explosives could go into the back of one, and how one could just drive into a federal building.

When I was working as a postmaster relief, I was told about how post offices are robbed, and what to do in that situation. You might ask how post offices could get so much money, and the simple answer is postal money orders. Even in a small town such as Capron IL, I used to do at least five postal money orders a day. As you might not know, you can only get a postal money order with cash or a debit card. Even certified checks are no good because a person can stop payment on them. Many small towns do not have everyday functioning banks, and I doubt they had them in the 1960s. So people as they did then, and still to this day, pay bills by postal money order.

I hope that answers your question. I honestly have no idea what UPS or FedEx does when someone steals packages from them.

On a side note, the fact that many do not understand how the postal service functions and the vital role it plays in society is disturbing.

Thanks Nucular, for that interesting reply. I never gave much thought as to the contents of some mail. It does make sense when you stop and think about it.

I agree with you on the importance of the USPS.

Might also point out that communications now are light years ahead of where we were in the 60's. Cell phones were not in everbody's pocket. So a S&W or a Colt made sense back then. Nowdays you can be in contact with authorities almost immediately and a chopper can be in the air. Jesse wouldn't stand a chance today (fortunately). Guess its a moot point though as the trains no longer carry the mail. (Bah, humbug)

Might also point out that communications now are light years ahead of where we were in the 60's. Cell phones were not in everbody's pocket. So a S&W or a Colt made sense back then. Nowdays you can be in contact with authorities almost immediately and a chopper can be in the air. Jesse wouldn't stand a chance today (fortunately). Guess its a moot point though as the trains no longer carry the mail. (Bah, humbug)

Back then and until the politicians decided that the Post Office should be a profitable entity..........it was a branch of the Federal Government. The RMS employees were the "authorities" back in the day. Mail was considered important, and was the means used to transfer securities, and bonds.

The whole world has changed, and many once important agencies and functions have been marginalized.

BTW: Mail still travels on the rails, however, in trailers/containers on fast Van trains, along with much UPS traffic.

Hate to burst your bubble but by the time anyone gets a chopper in the air the thieves would be long gone unless it turns into a hostage situation. Yes you can be in contact with authorities almost immediately (assuming you've got cell phone communications) but they can be painfully slow in getting officers on scene.

Let me begin by saying that at my age, my memory might be playing tricks on me. But I seem to recall that as a kid back in the early 40's, the guys who picked up the mail from the mail boxes that were attached to telephone poles were armed. Every street had a mail box for sending mail, and every box had a schedule of when the mail would be picked up. Sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. Even in the 50's, I believe that some postal workers at the main Post Office were armed. Tom

Back