Anybody Else watch this unfold!!!

CSXPAID

I have a good friend who is a brass collector and a PRR modeler and about a week ago an auction started on ebay for a Pennsy RS-3 thats called a hammerhead

The PRR only had one and OMI produced 16 of them.

55 bids later this Ho scale brass engine sold for $6310.00:eek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350765889187?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The following day two more just happen to show up buy it now for

$5995

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111056071441?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

$5999

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251263153302?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Needless to say my friend did not buy any of them!! He was out a $1000

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time that I watch the auctions unfold on the Bay is when I'm looking for something specific. Otherwise I could care less what transpires.

These could be considered a rare beast and since there were only 16 total imported, I wouldn't doubt that these would demand a premium price. Its not like its one of the thousands of the PFM ATSF 2-8-0's that seemed to always be in the PFM catalogs, that can be had cheaply.

As the years go by, I'm sure that the really rare engines, with production runs were 15 or less, will demand premium prices like this.

Yep! People saw a couple of idiots get in a bidding war and drive the price way up. A couple decided to strike while the iron was hot and rake in some big bucks.

Dang! ...and here I was, feeling guilty for having spent a few hundred $$ on a Walthers Built-Up turntable :rolleyes:

Gentlemen"Gentlemen
I'm sure what you seeing is a joke! Probably photoshopped.
looking at the lastest Brass Guide that model sold new in 2005 for $765 the current stated value is $675.
Now nobody in his or her right mind would spend that kind of money without doing very serious research first.
Only thing missing is April fools at the bottom.

The only time that I watch the auctions unfold on the Bay is when I'm looking for something specific. Otherwise I could care less what transpires.

These could be considered a rare beast and since there were only 16 total imported, I wouldn't doubt that these would demand a premium price. Its not like its one of the thousands of the PFM ATSF 2-8-0's that seemed to always be in the PFM catalogs, that can be had cheaply.

As the years go by, I'm sure that the really rare engines, with production runs were 15 or less, will demand premium prices like this.

He bought a 1 of 5 Overland IT SD-40 on there a few weeks ago and it was him and two others bidding on it I think he only paid $500 for it!! Guess it just depend on the railroad modeled too

I just thought it was funny that right after the auction ended 2 others show up!!

I just thought it was funny that right after the auction ended 2 others show up!!
As Jeffrey said that is not surprising at all. Sales/marketing/economics 101, Someone sees a model that they own going for an outrageous price and they think they can get the same so they put theirs out there. Happens all the time. The later people are often surprised to find that the price generally starts dropping because those willing to pay the high price become less with each auction (less demand) and the supply has increased.

That particular model was one of a very few handbuilts by a fellow named Utao Waki. He was a master scratchbuilder of HO brass locomotives. His work commands top prices and his models are sought after by collectors. That's why the high price guys. There won't be any more of these. Mr. Waki passed in 2010.

That particular model was one of a very few handbuilts by a fellow named Utao Waki. He was a master scratchbuilder of HO brass locomotives. His work commands top prices and his models are sought after by collectors. That's why the high price guys. There won't be any more of these. Mr. Waki passed in 2010.

Admitting that while not an expert on brass locomotives or rolling stock and that i had not even been aware of Utao Waki i can see by the one single example of his work i've found on the web his models are of rare fine museum quality and he without a doubt was an master builder and artist.
and having purchased and enjoyed quite a few brass models over the last 25 years feel qualified to say i do not believe the example sold is one of his,If you have more information would you please be so kind as to put it out here for us to examine.
the pictures shown clearly show the box label stating this model was made by Ajin of Korea, there is no mention of Mr.Waki on it or the brass plate on the bottom of the locomotive which should have been there if indeed he had built this model.
Furthermore Mr. Waki's models shown comes in its own wooden presentation box with a engraved plate.I'm sure that was a given with all his work.

Regards
Larry.

T2eC16dHJGYFFkw29enBRZ2CTOg6Q60_57_zpsafb55b83.png

T2eC16ZHJIE9qSO9fjOBRZ2Cg2cQ60_57_zps7b08944d.png

DSC09852_zpsff7f45d2.png

DSC09849_zps2dd4003e.png

DSC09850_zps0e5b5791.png

I picked up the discussion from the brass list over on Yahoo. John Glaab to another poster there who was also surprised by the price. I feel inclined to trust Mr. Glaab's opinion and it would certainly explain the auction wouldn't it?

Update: Correction. That discussion was about another model, the one you show pics of in fact. It was tucked into the RS-3 thread. My mistake. So was the $6000.00 price a type error, or did two bidders really want it that badly? Who knows. What I really want to know is where are these people when I sell something?:confused:

Back