Any models of these?

nateL

Engineer
Im looking for some N scale models of these kind of frieght cars....i really dont know what to call them except for enormous grey open hoppers?:rolleyes: idk haha...heres a pic of the cars im looking for...

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1253012

better view..

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1253011

and another..

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1253079

but yea, i cant find anything like it...is it maybe just another one of those things ill NEVER find? haha help would be much appreciated :D

-Nate

I think those are custom built garbage hoppers that are used by several railroads in the Northeast. I don't know the prototype manufacturer nor I have ever seen a model of one. This looks like a kitbash job to me, exspecially in N scale.

Those can be "foobied" (foobie as in a close representation of the prototype, to catch the general flavor) with Athearn (Roundhouse/MDC) Thrall high side gondolas. They are not hoppers, but in fact Gondolas (a hopper has opening discharge gates on the floor, which the prototype you show does not have).

i thought they were two high cubed dumpsters on a flatcar
at least thats what i seen in the bronx,ny

Here are more pics of the cars.

WestSpringfield6-4-081.png

WestSpringfield6-4-084.png

WestSpringfield6-4-083.png

WestSpringfield6-4-082.png

WestSpringfield6-4-081.png

DSC09228.png

DSC09229.png

Those can be "foobied" (foobie as in a close representation of the prototype, to catch the general flavor) with Athearn (Roundhouse/MDC) Thrall high side gondolas. They are not hoppers, but in fact Gondolas (a hopper has opening discharge gates on the floor, which the prototype you show does not have).

ahh yea that was my bad, i wasnt really thinking haha...hmm i just took a look at those on the Athearn website but they say that theyve been discontinued, ger if anybody has some and are willing to give them up, ill take 'em haha :D

Most of those are converted wood chip hoppers so that would be a good place to start kitbashing. WCTX cars are owned by Resource Recycling Incorporated. In addition to carrying away construction and demolition debris to landfills aawy from major cities, some of them carry normal househould garbage. I know the P&W has a contract with several cities in New York to carry garbage to the Fresh Kill landfill outside of NYC. I think the cars in the first set of pictures are actually these garbage trucks on wheels.

Most of those are converted wood chip hoppers so that would be a good place to start kitbashing. WCTX cars are owned by Resource Recycling Incorporated. In addition to carrying away construction and demolition debris to landfills aawy from major cities, some of them carry normal househould garbage. I know the P&W has a contract with several cities in New York to carry garbage to the Fresh Kill landfill outside of NYC. I think the cars in the first set of pictures are actually these garbage trucks on wheels.

I was gunna say they look like woodchip gondolas. I agree with Jim and Josh, a good start to them would be some Woodchip Gondolas or the MDC/Roundhouse Highside Gondolas

Fresh Kills has been closed for several years now. An MSW transfer station has recently been built on the site to ship out garbage that is trucked in or barged in from other parts of New York City, and New York City only. All of the trash is MSW, not C&D as is carried by the gondolas seen in the pictures above. All the trash out of Fresh Kills moving on rails is OUTbound, and carried in 20' MSW containers... and P&W has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you mean the pictures i had the links for, no those are the same as the ones as MGWSY posted just with a net over the top. I see them all the time, as a mater of fact i bet theres a few in the yard not to far from my house right now...but anyway, i looked at the THrall gondolas that Athearn had and they look pretty good to me...sadly theyve been discontinued? I see however that some Hobby shops have them but not in the color i need (flat greay as in the pics)

Thanks for the info everybody!:)

-Nate

Nate, BTW, the Athearn Thrall Gondolas are still available, the undecorated ones that you are talking about are just not in production anymore. The decorated ones with the roadnames on them are still available, and you would just have to pick up a set and strip the paint off of them and spray them flat gray, add some data and decals and some other details, and you would have some nice looking models of the cars you are wanting.

The prototype ones are quite a bit longer then the Athearn models though, and you might wanna do a kitbash on them and combine 2 in one to make a longer more prototypical car like the real ones. Im not sure how long the real ones are, but they look to be about 70' or so.... I belive Athearn's are only 50'

Nate, BTW, the Athearn Thrall Gondolas are still available, the undecorated ones that you are talking about are just not in production anymore. The decorated ones with the roadnames on them are still available, and you would just have to pick up a set and strip the paint off of them and spray them flat gray, add some data and decals and some other details, and you would have some nice looking models of the cars you are wanting.

The prototype ones are quite a bit longer then the Athearn models though, and you might wanna do a kitbash on them and combine 2 in one to make a longer more prototypical car like the real ones. Im not sure how long the real ones are, but they look to be about 70' or so.... I belive Athearn's are only 50'

Hmm yea, im going to have to just go to a hobby shop and see what I can find, even if they are shorter theyll still look pretty good and id be happy with them. How can i strip the paint off without ruining the car? Id assume that paint thinner or something to that extent might actually melt or ruin the plastic, no?

Garbage Cars

A decent alternative and ligit alternative are woodchip cars that used to be used in the PNW....the only outfit that does those cars in N Scale however is Deluxe Innovations, and I'm not sure what roads are offered. But I have seen old GN, BN, UP chip cars at Selkirk NY now in garbage service...

Back