Any Las Vegas Railroaders out there?

Dodgerlv

I have no luck finding anybody here with a passion for either modeling or just plain train watching in this town.

"I have no luck finding anybody here with a passion for either modeling or just plain train watching in this town."

I live in Las Vegas, and my boys and I love to watch trains. In fact, we made a trip up to Caliente this last week, and drove down through Meadow Valley Wash. I have lived here for my nearly my entire life (34 years), and have noticed that it is quite difficult to watch trains now. The UP never had "No Trespassing" sign along every track in the past, they do now. Caliente is a little more open, there is a public road that runs right along their little yard; you can get pretty close to the rolling stock.

Jared

Thanks I never thought of Caliente as a destination but I will have to take a run out there this week. Where do you guys usually go here in Vegas I usually head to Centenial and I-215 but as you mentioned they make it pretty dificult now days to even get a good shot

What is Centennial and I-215? We were going to a small yard near I-215 and Range Rd., but were ran off by some NV govt. employee. This small yard is where the bulk of lumbar is off-loaded, at least that is what I have read. There are usually a couple sd60m's parked there, and it is fun to watch them push/pull the cars around. Caliente has a small yard with some rolling stock, and the track repair crews have a bunch of their equipment there as well. Included in the rolling stock is a MoPac caboose, we were told that it the last that the UP owns.

Meadow Valley Wash use to be drivable from end to end, but somebody put a gate and "no tresspassing" sign across what I believe to be a public rd. I have driven that twice in the past, and the map calls it "county route 4320."

Jared

I meant range road sorry, I get right up by the gate in the little turnaround area. I havent been bothered yet I saw them unload some auto racks today.

I caught a rock train the other day switching some cars out and then managed to pace it along donovan rd. 2 ac4400's up front with one of the yard sd6o's, and then a ac4400 dpu at the rear I think the sd60 was deadheading for maintanence since I only see one of the 2 sd60's in the yard, and now the have 2 sd40's there as well.

We are few and far between in this city, it would seem, but we do exist! I don't typically railfan in town, other than a few of the spots you guys have mentioned. I drive over the Lamb Blvd. overpass every day on my way to/from work, so I always try and check things out. I've never been bothered when checking out a train there either, but I never get too close.

I generally head out towards Erie (off of I-15 near Jean) or Kelso (the restored depot, now the Mojave preserve headquarters at the base of Cima Hill) to do my railfanning. No one ever bothers you out there, and the scenery is so much more dramatic.

Besides railfanning the LA&SL, I am currently working on my 4th HO layout, which is the first permanent one I have ever built since I just bought a house back in July. I model the Detroit, Toledo, and Ironton railroad, both in its fallen flag form, and in a fictional present day form. I have several videos on youtube if you'd like to check them out: www.youtube.com/yoshaunboysup
I also have a website for the fictional DT&I, though I have neglected to update it for a while. www.dti-railroad.com.

Feel free to keep in contact via facebook too, as I don't get on here too often. facebook.com/shaun31us. Just let me know you're a Vegas railfan!

So to be (in Vegas and a Model Railroader)

Hey all,

I am moving to Vegas here in a month or so and have plans for a HOn30/HO sectional modal layout. Any hints, tips, or tricks?

Jed

Back