Any help for the Roco?ConCor E7 E8 E9??

Pant O'Graff

These have always been great pullers but noisy. I remember 20 years ago being told to put toothpaste on the gears (then run it some , clean out the toothpaste, and) the gears would mesh better and quiet down.
Anybody other fixes?
If I can't quiet them down they'll be demotored or decomissioned.

Thanks-
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Carefully file the burrs off of the gears and lube them up with Automotive Transmission Fluid.

as long as the toothpaste is Pearl Drops; it is abrasive. It will take the part of "Carefully file the burrs off of the gears " that Josh mentions. Clean it off with isopropyl alcohol then lube as Josh mentions.

If that's not enough to make it work, well, turn up the stereo.

I have several of the Model Power - Roco E8s from the late 70s and early 80s. They were noisy then and are noisy now. Except for one; it is as quiet as an Atlas or P2K. But they pull like crazy.

modelpowerE9scsx5.png

modelpowerE9ssp1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliment.

I know about the nose issue but at the time the MP profile was perceived as more accurate than the AHM version. I remember a 70s article in either MRR or RMC detailing how to graft an Athearn nose to an AHM body.

Is the current P2K nose (Es and Fs) true to prototype? How about Genesis and Intermountain?

On the Pearl Drops suggestion, how do you get the residue out of the truck? Rinse with Listerine?

Duck, yes, you rinse with Listerine and make the gears gargle. :D

The current P2K and Genesis E's have probably the best E unit noses ever made. That bulldog nose was hard to get right back in the days when everything was done by draftsman on paper with all the compound curves but CAD and new plastic molding technologies have made it much easier now. The only problem is the same one I have. I spent lots of time detailing SP SD-9's and UP F units and thought they looked great back in 1970. Put one beside a current production model and I just want to put the old ones away somewhere and forget about them. :)

UP - same here. Too many 70s and 80s locomotives that have been detailed. I just purchased Detail West eye bolts to invest even more time into old tooling technology.

The CSX Es (along with their AHM B-units) as well as the SP bloody nose E and FP7s will become station or fueling station props when I acquire replacement P2K E8 undecorated units. And the Genesis FP7s should be hitting by early next year.

I just can't see changing out flywheels to roller bearing version, even if I knew where to get such a thing.

I had three of these units many years ago, and I found by doing several little things I was able to quiet them down a bunch, but you will never get them completely quiet.

1. Disassemble all components after the "toothpaste treatment" is used.
2. File ALL metal edges of the trucks, and frame. You'd be surprised at how much flash is still on the metal castings. On one I had, the flash was large enough to rub against the flywheel. While you're at it replace the cast flywheel with a brass turned flywheel, (A-line, etc), if you can find one of the proper size. I used Hobbytown of Boston flywheels in mine. Reassemble and relube.
3. Eliminate the plastic clip that holds the motor in place. Secure the motor with hot glue, silicone, or something else "soft" but strong. If keeping it DC, you will need to find a place for the brush wire that was held by this clip to the frame.
4. Lastly, place foam tape in strips along the roof and as far down the sides as possible, (it won't be much, but place it anywhere the body is not in direct contact with the frame). The body acts as a resonator, and actually makes the noise louder.

These few things will quiet them down quite a bit.

CJ - Thanks for the suggestions. I am strangely compelled to invest yet more time in these locomotives.

Oddly, the last one purchased, from an early 80s run, is very quiet yet the trucks, frame, etc are visually undifferentiated from the earlier grinders. Sounds like a plot line for Fringe.

Noisy Roco Es

These units actually look very nice, and in some ways, the nose looks better than the Rivarossi version-- and the contours even seem better than some early Proto units-- put an early proto E7 next to an early proto E8 and note the differences around the windshields. Then put them next to an early Proto E6 and see yet another variation. None of them seems exactly right.

Roco E's can run quietly and smoothly, and when they are properly tuned and lubed, they are so free-wheeling that they will out-coast any other locomotive. The truck design, although it looks really dubious, is also flexible in just the right ways so that these models track well. It doesn't look as well-engineered as a contemporary Athearn unit, but it all just happens to work out.

One big issue with them is zinc rot. If you are tuning one, take the whole mechanism apart-- Be careful with the plastic parts; they get brittle as they age. Strip all oil and grease off the metal frame and truck sides (easy way to do this is just run them through the dishwasher, but don't expose them to heated dry), and paint with a good spray paint like Rustoleum (except the electrical contact areas). Lightly grease the contact areas with dielectric grease (from an automotive supply house). Your locomotive will be happier after this treatment-- the frames can be very weak around the flywheel, and you don't need rot making it worse.

There are a few tricks to tuning them. The most significant source of noise is the flywheel and its connection to the motor. Many very late production models have two changes to the drive that seem to quiet them down. First, the "key" drive on the end of the motor shaft is a little larger and a little more rubbery (these "keys" are blue in color). There's no way to get this part separately, but you can simulate it by taking an older black one apart, putting dabs of silicone bathtub caulk in the joint, and then quickly reassembling so that the caulk squeezes out the side. Wipe any excess off, wrapping a thin film around the outside to hold the whole thing in place--it won't really stick to the slippery plastic.

The second change has to do with the flywheel. The flywheel has just a little play back and forth, and this makes noise. I've cured this with thrust washers and grease, but you need very very thin thrust washers. One place to get these washers is in the worm assemblies; you can replace the washers you find there with regular old Athearn (or other) thrust washers. Alternatively, very late production models have a tiny spring inserted in the rear universal joint; this presses ever so slightly on the flywheel and keeps it from rattling back and forth. There's no special attachment for the spring-- it's just stuffed into the universal socket on the end of the flywheel.

With these changes, these drives are a lot of bang for the buck. I've got them under stock bodies, and also, even better, old Cary Locomotive Works E6 bodies. These units are so heavy nothing stops them!

Back