Another WTH Ebay Moment

I often see this stuff and in my disbelief that people can be so stupid, wonder if they do this sort of thing to launder money using multiple accounts.

I love it when someone claims something is rare. I restore classic cars for another hobby, and always look on ebay motors for a project, and see so many times people claiming something to be rare, and there are 2 or 3 similar cars on ebay motors.
It's true what you are saying. Those with a true appreciation of the rarity of an item usually are experts on the amount of them in existence.

Nothing on E-bay surprises me anymore. However, if there is something you want, it will show up on there eventually.

I generally look for brass steamers, and I generally find what I need, at a reasonable price.

The craziest thing I have ever caught on there was an Athearn KCS AC4400 in Southern Bellle Paint. It sold for $5500 and almost immediately the seller was no longer a registered user.

Don't you like when they display their deceased relatives trains with the tender backwards behind the engine.

I recently saw a mid 1980's era Rivarossi Y6b that somebody thought was rare and they wanted $1200 bucks for it! This was while a few more were selling at $150-$180 a piece.

I actually saw a backwards mounted Vanderbuilt tender sold as an extra car...

Should check some of the instrument related items sometimes..there is always something 'new' showing up:eek::rolleyes:

Being that I have no hobby shops close by, I do look at ebay on a regular basis and sometimes just have to laugh at some of the items people are trying to sell. Some of the items are nothing but model railroad junk. Many of these items they are trying to sell I wouldn't even throw in a junk box, it would go right in the trash. Then there are those trying to sell at or above retail price, and then expect you to pay shipping on top of the high prices. Take for instance a vehicle. They ask full price and then want shipping on top of it ???
I do look for code 70 track and switches, mainly Shinohara, and I am well aware of what it retails for, but I haven't paid any where near retail price yet. I know how high I will bid to "get a deal", but I have my limits.
There are then those who claim to have something "rare" and go a little overboard on their asking price, but I guess that there are those who have more money than brains that actually pay the over inflated prices.
Deals can be had, but you really have to pay attention.

I do N scale and I've seen some used shinohara N scale track for sale. Actually it was one triple turnout ladder I almost bought, but he wanted too much for it ($27) and I had alot of atlas switches anyway. Can you say why you prefer shinohara? I know nothing about it except it seems like a fairly rare commodity. Is shinohara still available?.....where? Ebay at least I guess.

Mike

I haven't done N scale for years, Now in HO scale and most of my track has been hand laid code 70, but since my Kadee spike gun died, I have been using Shinohara switches exclusively and have had nothing but good luck with them.

There was one Boley truck on their last nite w/a starting bid of $99.00 w/$24.00 shipping in 1/87th scale. Bet the wheels are made out of black gold.:D

Indeed, if one watches carefully you can spot some good bargains on eBay. However, over the past year or so I've noted that the asking prices/starting bids, in general, have increased very noticeably, particularly on what used to be regarded as common items.

While the asking prices for brass has declined for the most part, I see many older Athearn Blue Box cars listing at just below the prices of current Athearn issues. Opening bids of $18-21 for a $6-7 older kit is just plain nonsense, but I'm seeing it more and more. Likewise, I see a lot of other items listed very close to hobbyshop prices which, when shipping is added, becomes no longer any sort of a good buy, let alone a bargain.

More and more buying and selling HO resembles sales of vintage Lionel to me, where it became all about the last dollar the seller could extract from the buyer.

NYW&B

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure agree with everyone about some of the outragious prices being asked. On rare occasions I have paid retail for an item, but only it it had free shipping, but for people to expect premium prices for some of the "garbage" that is on ebay is a real laugh. I have gone through thousands of model RR items on ebay and for me, I may find less than a handful of items that I would even be interested in. Those Boley trucks, what a laugh !
Sure wish I had a decent hobby shop les than a hundred miles away.

Gents, this is the beauty of capitalism. You are free to bid/buy or not. Sellers OTOH have to pay listing fees and insertion fees based on that opening bid, so if they get too crazy for too long they will feel the pain caused by their actions. No matter what else you want to say, e-Bay still brings the largest group of sellers together with the largest group of buyers. Avoid items with poor photos, pay attention to what you are bidding on, and watch your seller's feedback and you won't go wrong. I have been buying and selling on e-bay for over fourteen years with no negative experiences. As with any store, swap meet, or private buyer, Caveat Emptor!

Back