another new guy!

twytch38

Hey guys! I've been lurking around here for a week or so. I broke out my O gauge lionel set for Christmas this year and the bug bit. I think I'm going to switch to HO for space, and because my girlfriend thinks they're "cute" so I'll have her blessing! My problem is I'm in the Air Force so I move fairly regularly. I haven' found many portable layouts as of yet. I think I'm going to keep it to a 4x8 or smaller if possible. I want something that is continuous running, and will be using fast tracks to make all my switches as that is what interests me. Scenery plays a VERY minor part as the one thing I'm really good at is electronics, as I'm an electrician on C-17s. I know I've kinda rambled on here quite a bit, but I just wanted you to know my background. Any help you guys can give me in designing a layout would be greatly appreciated. I just downloaded xtrkcad and am doing the tutorial as we speak. Thanks for the help in advance!

Ted

Hello, Ted, and welcome aboard. I guess you lucked out working on C-17's instead of F-15's or you'd be a little too busy for model railroading right now. :)

Most folks in your situation go for something like a 2x8 switching layout. It's really almost impossible to move something as large as a 4x8 and not break half the stuff on it. Take a look at the plans for shelf layout at http://www.thortrains.net/poorhoh.html. These are just examples of what you can do in a small space. If you plan it right, you can integrate that small shelf layout into a larger space when you get some place permanent. You also won't invest a huge amount of money and then find out that you (or your girlfriend) don't like model railroading all that much.

I really like the idea of the switching yard, but I'd also like to be able to just let it run while I do other things. I think I'll actually have more fun laying the track and painting the engines and doing all the electronics than anything else!

Welcome to the forum. If I were you, I would look into N scale. You will have a much easier time moving it. It will also require less space to have continuous running. Just food for thought.

OK guys, I got my girlfriend to give me a pretty good spot for a layout in our little apartment. I have attached an RTS layout of the space allocated. I would like to do a logging industry and lumber industry. I'm not opposed to a second level underneath for staging. I was thinking about maybe a turnaround loop and a small yard to park all my cars and engines, but am just not sure where to begin. All this stuff is new to me. Any help y'all can give would be greatly appreciated! Everything I come up with isn't very good at all. :p Thanks again for all the help so far!

I think I would concur with the N-scale suggestion. I started an HO layout on a 4x8 because my son got a kit for Christmas (last year). We wound up scrapping it for a much much larger area to get interesting layouts.

Years ago (late 60's) when I was a Gov. employee and moved all over the world every 2-3 years, I built "L" shape layouts in spare bedrooms and used a minimum of scenery. Because I didn't have all the scenery, it was easy to takeup the track and other parts to pack for the move. (I trashed the lumber.) At the next place, I just started over with better ideas, but still with minimum scenery. The layouts were fun and entertaining and gave me a chance to play with gadgets.;) :)

Welcome Aboard . I'm a HOer but if I had to move a bit I would do N scale and build modules that would be easy to tear down and move !!

Chip,

I think I'm going to steal your DuBoy and Punky (Brewster) plan. I'm going to modify the left side a bit with a Left turnout to connect to my existing two-level 4x8 module.

Your plan will replace an existing single-level 4x8 module....

:D

Kennedy

Welcome aboard! I'm an electronics guy too and built my own DCC rig. Scenery will come later.

If you like circuits, go DCC for sure. It's pretty cool. :)

Mark

Where can I find a good starting guide to DCC? I've got a pretty good idea about what I plan on doing (gonna go Digitrax I think) but am not sure what kind of wiring will be required. A C-17 is waaaaaaay different than a train layout!

Back