another berk lives

NKP No. 765 came thundering through Massillon, Ohio on Tuesday 8/7. What a beautiful site to see. Would really like to see her round the Horseshoe Curve. That would be a "Kodak moment".

I had the opportunity to see her fly though North Lawrence, OH. on 8-7-12.

NKP765NSES.jpg

I got to see 765 in Altoona today, we got to the footbridge near to the Railroaders museum, to find the train had been past before we got there. Luckily we could see it just a little further down the line,so jumped back in the Jeep, drove around the back of the museum, past the Altoona pipe works,and saw her just in front of the road bridge. The Altoona fire department were filling up both tenders, with a pump truck transfering water from a nearby fire hydrant.She was there for quite some time, so I managed to get a couple of hundred photos.
Ron

I MISSED IT!!!! I totally meant to go see it at the curve and i missed it. :( does anyone know if it is coming back through for sure on the 20th? And if so approximately what time?

Shes due back on the 20th,if I see a time for when shes supposed to be in Altoona, I,ll put it up.
You missed a good show, the crew spent some time topping off the tenders with water,dropped a pile of ash from the firebox,and handed out lumps of coal to the crowd !!.
I also got my first look at one of the Heritage locos, 8100, which is also in Nickel Plate markings.
Ron

"Departure for Pittsburgh and points west currently slated for 0700 Monday morning."
I just found this on Railway Preservation news,presumably, thats when she leaves Harrisburg.
Ron

After seeing 765,on Monday afternoon, I went to Dicks Train store, which is only a few hundred yards from the NS loco shops in Altoona.He had four Rivarossi Berkshires on his display cabinet, so this evening, I picked one out,which will be going back to England next weekend. Dick tested it for me, it runs fine,but it does need a lube job, plus the wheels need a clean.I,m planning on painting the wheel rims,as well as the edges on the running boards to make it look more like 765.
Ron

I really like that shop aside from his sometimes weird hours. It seems like every time i go over there it's either too early or too late but alas most of our hobby shops in this area are like that now. I am in Johnstown and there are only two hobby shops that I can visit, Dick's in Altoona and T&P's trains in Vinco. It's sad but the hobby has all but died here :(

Updated and finalized times:

Trips tomorrow depart at 9AM, 12PM, and 3PM. Trips on Sunday depart at noon and 3PM.

Departure Monday morning is at 6AM -- No longer 7AM.

Track the engine and route online at: http://www.765.org/locate.html and get updates throughout the day at https://twitter.com/nickelplate765

Monday's schedule includes a servicing stop at Altoona and crew change at Cresson. NO estimates are available beyond the times listed here. There will also be no stop at the curve.

Final, of course, until something else may change, but this is pretty certain.

I saw this,this morning,on Railway Preservation news.
Ron

I,ve been trying to work out, what colour the wheel rims, and running board edges are, on 765. I,m assuming that they are reflective, like those on Norfolk Southern locos, as a safety measure, so they would be a silvery/white,unless anyone knows different ?.
Ron

I saw her today!! Started out in altoona with a bunch of pics and two videos. We went to the footbridge and she went right under us! Boy that coal smoke smelled good! Left altoona, raced her to the gallitzin tunnels. Made it just in time to watch her come out of the tunnel and stop in gallitzin. Caught a close-up video there and some more pics. Raced her again back to Johnstown and caught a video of her racing over our "famous" stone bridge from the hillside above the roadway. I will have more pics and videos up sometime soon here are a few. The first one is right under the footbridge. The second is the loco coming out of gallitzin tunnel. The third is her sitting at gallitzin. The last one is a pic of the bridge in Johnstown. Whenever I get my video up to youtube I will attach it as well. Hope you enjoy them!

Here is the youtube link: http://youtu.be/h1Q_tDu9F7g
Sorry the video was on my point-and-shoot camera and I had very little time to react to the train! She came by pretty fast and I know the end of the video sucks sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back