Analog Lighted Cars on Dcc Powered Track

Topherisme

Chris wants more hobby time!!!
Am considering adding some Amtrack livery, but to save money looking at buying older passenger cars. Looks like I will encounter some issues, but nothing serious (ie adding resistors and such). Anyone have a similar transition in the past to let me know the do and don’t criteria for this possible addition to my layout?

They are incompatible if directly wired from pickup to the lights.

Not true.

If the car is wired with incandescant bulbs, no issue.

If the car is wired with LEDs and diodes, it probably already has a rectifier built in, or in DC it would only light in one direction depending on the DC polarity. So again, no issue.

As Chris posted, incandescent bulbs don't care if it is AC or DC. If the cars are older models, then most likely they will have incandescents.

Thanks guys, will just have to dig a little deeper, like to know what I am setting myself up for 👍

I have an old Lionel HO scale flat car with nuke load on it. The wheels are nylon with a brass insert to make the nuke load flicker as it rolls. Originally designed for the DC power that was the norm in the 1960s, this works on DCC powered track as well.

s-l300.jpg

Putting together what I read it sounds like it won’t be a huge ordeal or a mess, but with me who knows…

Am considering adding some Amtrack livery, but to save money looking at buying older passenger cars. Looks like I will encounter some issues, but nothing serious (ie adding resistors and such). Anyone have a similar transition in the past to let me know the do and don’t criteria for this possible addition to my layout?
I agree. Most older passenger cars with lighting were set for 15-18 volts so they shouldn't be an issue concerning light or burning the bulbs out. I would worry more about heat. The original lighting would get brighter as the train went faster so the bulbs were seldom at full brightness. With DCC they will be at full brightness (and full heat output) all the time. Might want to pop a top and add a shield of aluminum foil between bulbs and plastic parts of car.

Here is an AHM RPO I tried to use on a PNP-112 command control system (prior to DCC). It would be the equivalent of a DCC system set at 17.5 volts to the track.
MeltDown.JPG

Last edited:
I agree. Most older passenger cars with lighting were set for 15-18 volts so they shouldn't be an issue concerning light or burning the bulbs out. I would worry more about heat. The original lighting would get brighter as the train went faster so the bulbs were seldom at full brightness. With DCC they will be at full brightness (and full heat output) all the time. Might want to pop a top and add a shield of aluminum foil between bulbs and plastic parts of car.
Interesting observation. I will have to remember that one.

Back