Amtrak ''pepsi can'' Dash 8's

Empire Builder

Great Northern fanatic
Does anyone know where I can find one of these Amtrak Dash 8-32BHW's in ''Pepsi can'' paint with a black roof ?

hyrail5 said:
I don't know that anyone sells them with a black roof. I'd suggest a custom painter to add the black to the roof based on photos.

No, I think Walthers made them like that at one time because that pic of one pulling the cars was a picture from Walthers 1998 reference catalog; that picture was of a train set that Walthers used to make.

P.S. I've seen slightly inacurate paint schemes on other locos that walthers used to make, example: an F40PH in phase 4 with black all along the top (baically it was as if you an F40PH in ph.2 or 3 and took the stripes off it and added phase 4 stripes to it) I kinda like the slightly inacurate paint schemes that Walthers has done in the past, except that they discontinue them and replace them with the acurrate paint schemes before I even knew that Walthers was making them. :D :cool: ;) :) :p

Empire Builder said:
No, I think Walthers made them like that at one time because that pic of one pulling the cars was a picture from Walthers 1998 reference catalog; that picture was of a train set that Walthers used to make.

P.S. I've seen slightly inacurate paint schemes on other locos that walthers used to make, example: an F40PH in phase 4 with black all along the top (baically it was as if you an F40PH in ph.2 or 3 and took the stripes off it and added phase 4 stripes to it) I kinda like the slightly inacurate paint schemes that Walthers has done in the past, except that they discontinue them and replace them with the acurrate paint schemes before I even knew that Walthers was making them. :D :cool: ;) :) :p
Do you frequent eBay? You could probably find one on there.

uspscsx said:
Do you frequent eBay? You could probably find one on there.

Yes, I do and that is where I got three out of four of those pictures. There were 3 or so of them on last week, but I just didn't earn enough $ in time to bid on it !!!! :D

How hard would it be to take a Amtrak Dash 8 that is alread in Pepsi can paint, but with a gray roof, like this one, and paint over the grey roof with black to get a black roof like I'm looking for ?

Why do you want to repaint the Dash 8 with a black roof? Looking at that photo from the catalog, I think it's just the lighting that makes you think the roof was black.If you look at the chassis and trucks, those are definitely black, but the body is just a very dark shade of gray.

Also, take a look at the following photos: http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtF347_359/amt358d.jpg
http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtF360_390/amt374h.jpg

You still think that Phase IV paint scheme is inaccurate? Incidentally, both of those F40PHs were formerly used for the Florida Fun Train and were then repainted to get them back in Amtrak colors.

astrosa said:
Why do you want to repaint the Dash 8 with a black roof? Looking at that photo from the catalog, I think it's just the lighting that makes you think the roof was black.If you look at the chassis and trucks, those are definitely black, but the body is just a very dark shade of gray.

Also, take a look at the following photos: http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtF347_359/amt358d.jpg
http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtF360_390/amt374h.jpg

You still think that Phase IV paint scheme is inaccurate? Incidentally, both of those F40PHs were formerly used for the Florida Fun Train and were then repainted to get them back in Amtrak colors.

I do know that walthers did make Dash 8's w/ black roofs at one time.

as for the F40Ph's, COOL!! I didn't know that any of Amtrak's F40PH's in ph.4 with black all the way across the top! So if the f40ph paint scheme that i described really is prototypical after all, then why did walthers stop making them in that paint scheme?

First of all, I think both styles of Phase IV F40PHs made by Walthers were limited runs, so that's partly why they didn't keep producing them. Also, I can only find photos of those two F40PHs being painted in Phase IV with black roofs. This was apparently an early version, and all F40s that subsequently received Phase IV paint got the partially gray roofs like the Genesis units. I don't think the early version was very popular for that reason, because it became obsolete very soon after it was introduced.

What makes you so sure that the Walthers Dash 8 was made with a black roof at one point? So far you've only been guessing, based on some catalog or eBay photos. If they had made that mistake, it would have likely happened in an early production run and been subsequently corrected. But I remember when the Walthers Dash 8s first came out around 1995 or so, and the sample reviewed in Model Railroader had a gray roof. Even the preproduction samples shown in earlier Walthers sales flyers had a gray rather than black roof. I've never seen one with a black roof.

I sold one on the FS forum here a few weeks ago. It was decoder equipped but had a dark grey roof.

Back