Amtrac

I hear rumors that ridership is rising quickly due to 3 things. Gas prices, TSA, & plane ticket prices rising.

You can't really buy stock in Amtrak. All the stock is owned by the railroads that allow Amtrak to use their tracks. There are a few private owners who bought some shares from the railroads, mostly for sentimental purposes. but the stock doesn't pay dividends and doesn't trade on any stock exchange. As much as I like to see that Amtrak is improving its ridership, no one but a fool would ever buy stock in Amtrak even it was available. It's debt far exceeds its net worth and, if was was being run as a normal private company, it would be bankrupt. It's only the largess of Congress and, by implication, the American taxpayer, that keeps Amtrak alive. Until they can find a way to stop losing money on a per passenger basis, adding more trains and passengers simply means they lose more money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Metro North

I know not to long ago the TV area news reported that 550,00 people a day commuted on Metro North which consists of the Hudson, Harlem , and New Haven lines into New York city. A few days ago the MTA with includes Metro North said, It will have to raise fares in 2008. So even with the trains full of people it's hard to break even.

NYC_George

I was just funning you all about Amtrak Stock , but it was interesting that more people were using it !

Last edited by a moderator:

Back