ambitious? noob plan

joeys1

Hello to all.

I am trying to get a railroad trackplan going, and have been forever starting something, only to stop and decide on something better to do. I read the last post on this page, and the advantages that it seemed to have were to me very great.

I spent some time messing around with various ideas, and came up with the 4x8 (see attachments), and the 2x8, which is just using the two centre sections.

I will be beginning study soon, so space will be at a premium, and the idea of having a big layout that can be constructed in pieces, or used as a small layout to me is appealing.

This is my first draft. I would like to add elevations into it somehow, and try and add more curves and angles rather than the plethora of straight lines that are there now.

Comments? Opinions? Anything would be appreciated.

Joseph Karl.

A lot really depends on your ulitmate goals and the space you are going into. If modeling is your primary interest, I would go to the 2 x8 or a 2.5 x 8. This can be shoved against a wall and take up only 4 x 8, while a 4 x 8 will take a minimum of 9 x 10.

If you decide on a 2 x 8, there is really a lot you can do with it that you can't on a 4 x8 because you don have to allow for curves as you have all ready seen. Instead of making the 2 x8 your after thought, think of what can be done in the space. Take off the 6' Traverser and this space is 2.5 x 8. I am modeling the downtown area of my small town back in 1950. I'll add the traverser after it is moved to it's more permanent location.

Indiana03.gif

Prr0002.gif

Thanks for your thoughts, Chip. That's a very impressive layout in a small space. Well done.

You are right in what you are saying about the 2x8. There are quite a few shelf-type layouts which I would build - it's just the idea of being able to add a loop as well seemed a good idea. I have been thinking more about it, and have decided for the moment to drop the idea unless I can come up with a whiz-bang idea, in which case I'll do it for the sheer cool factor :D

Joseph

Adding curves on a shelf layout!

Hey Joseph,
I'll have to agree that a shelf type layout is more convient than trying to reach over a 4' wide area. So when I started my shelf layout some time back that's the way I chose to go and am very pleased with the ease of accessing things even though I made my shelfs 2'6" wide which gives me a little extra area.

I used the L girder method which give me a lot of flexability to change elevations, upwards at least from the basic table top height although you can do just about the same thing using the cookie cutter method too.

Now in your situation, I don't know your space limitations but find your shelf layout somewhat interesting but like you said having a few curves would be nice. Have you considered creating an [ L ] shape layout using a similiar design? As far a loop that could be made as dropleaf design off the end, side or even a combination of both with the dropleaf hinged on only one edge of course. This addition forming the loop could even be made as a non-hinged extention that would drop into a couple of locating pockets on the shelf end or side and supported by a couple of folding legs and yet stored out of the way when not needed.

Hope this gives you some extra ideas.

David

Thanks for your thoughts, Chip. That's a very impressive layout in a small space. Well done.

You are right in what you are saying about the 2x8. There are quite a few shelf-type layouts which I would build - it's just the idea of being able to add a loop as well seemed a good idea. I have been thinking more about it, and have decided for the moment to drop the idea unless I can come up with a whiz-bang idea, in which case I'll do it for the sheer cool factor :D

Joseph

Back