Am ii being to nice

Well my daughter wants to move down stairs again. She wants my train room for the privacy. So my wife wants me to move back up stairs the room is smaller and I haven't gotten anything built do to money and mechanical problems with my truck. The room will be eacery to keep kill up stairs and there's more light and plugings to work with. but this will be the 5 time I have moved my train room at my wifes request. Be the second time I have been in this room. So here the pros more light less likely for water damage do to the basement water getting in. And I don't need to climb stairs. Cons smaller room.

Well my daughter wants to move down stairs again. She wants my train room for the privacy. So my wife wants me to move back up stairs the room is smaller and I haven't gotten anything built do to money and mechanical problems with my truck. The room will be eacery to keep kill up stairs and there's more light and plugings to work with. but this will be the 5 time I have moved my train room at my wifes request. Be the second time I have been in this room. So here the pros more light less likely for water damage do to the basement water getting in. And I don't need to climb stairs. Cons smaller room.

YES! You ARE being too nice! I have had similar 'issues' in my 19 years of married bliss and you MUST FORCE her to make up YOUR mind for once and for all where YOUR 'area' of the property is so you can 'stay out of the way' with YOUR thing and let everybody else do THIER thing! I SHE willing to uproot her 'craftroom' or garden area or whatever she is into? Why always YOU having to make the big changes to accomidate everybody else? I been up and down THAT road! Ya gotta have your OWN corner somewhere!

FAIR is FAIR for YOU TOO!

David is right, but after all, it's your house. You can't just keep moving things around whenever she has a whim. I think you are being too nice. beggers can't be choosers either.

"happy wife happy life". enuf said.

I agree with LASM and I will go a step further; it's for your daughter, daddy's little girl.

I have 2 of them one is 30 and the other is 27. They are still my little girls.

Move upstairs, emphasize the positive aspects of the move and when any negative aspects bother you, think of your happy little girl.

Don't surprised if you daughter changes her mind if the basement gets wet!

Sounds like there is a problem in communication and in understanding. Maybe even with us here on this forum; we aren't privy to all that goes on inside your home. We don't know the dynamics, the finances, the space, the demands on the space that might be more important than your need for a dedicated layout space.... All we really know is that your wife wants your layout moved for the sake of your daughter's wishes/needs (not sure what's going on there), and that at long last you are getting a bit fed up with having to move every year or so. Maybe you need to look inward and find that line in the sand. People say "Happy wife, happy life." A marriage comprises two or more people, last I checked, which means they have to get along. Both of them. All four of them. It only takes one person to pee in the pickles, and its gender makes no difference. Just one partner/mate/bed buddy/spouse, take your pick, who is resentful will spoil the mood. Wife, husband,...either one can make a marriage miserable.

Taking things at face value, I gather your wife and daughter are unfamiliar with the basement. If they knew of the risks and ick factor that you describe, you can count on being looked at reproachfully for dragging your layout too slowly back down into the dungeon once they learn what you never made clear to them. You will be blamed for not informing them clearly what they are facing. Now is the time to sit down, all three of you, and for you to explain that you are getting a bit miffed at yet another relocation of your layout. Part of your ire will come, as you explain it to them in clear terms, because they are making a mistake, or merely ignoring facts you understand only too well. You must make it crystal clear why you have chosen to take the crappy space in the home and leave them to the warmer and drier places...for their sake. Explain that making the basement livable for a young woman is not going to be easy or cheap. For instance, it will start with a complete redo of the perimeter drainage, a project sure to cost about $8-13K. If you forego that project, count your basement's days numbered, no matter who is using it. If your basement goes, the house will follow. Now you only get the price of the land. It's value will fall because prospective buyers will know it has a high water incursion or water table. Problems for them if there were problems for you.

How am I doing so far?

Taking a deep breath, I could go on to suggest you make it clear that you will only move your layout one more time, if you must indeed move it, and that your firm resolve will be to finish it this time. Or, your other choice is to abandon the idea until the house clears of users...which may include the wife.

I'm just being realistic here. You have bothered to present a problem here over something that is sufficiently important to you that you have re-started it four times. FOUR TIMES!! Moving each time. It's time to deal with this household issue practically, honestly, and pragmatically. Think it over, find your bottom line, and present it to both of them. Be fair, be honest, be practical, and give as much ground as you can. Then turn into concrete.

Sorry, I can be long-winded. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm inclined to think that no matter what you try to point out to discourage your daughter from wanting the basement, you are going to have to fix it to make it livable. Water from the cove joint, spiders in the rafters, dark dank conditions. Yeah, get that credit card out and be ready to do some remodeling. Yeah, something that you couldn't do for your railroad, but is a minor adjustment to make things great for your daughter. Oh, and don't forget the additional heating costs to warm up that chilly basement in the winter time.
Now, to the bedroom that you get as a consolation prize. No nails or painting on the walls. Put something down on the carpet if you are painting, plastering, sawing, drilling, sanding or just plain ole working on something. Keep those unsightly wires tucked away. No, you're not going to plug in more lights and the closet doors stay where they're hanging now. You gotta be able to reach the window to open it when needed and ya have to be able to close the door so she doesn't have to look at it.
Oh, and by the way. When are ya going to fix the screen that's almost ready to fall off the window, huh?

She wants my train room for the privacy. So my wife wants me to move back up stairs.
No, you are not being too nice, but put your foot down now. Tell them to really think this decision through, tell them you don't care which space they give you for the trains, BUT this is the LAST time you are going to change its location. So once they make this decision this time it is FINAL.

I'd maybe look at a modular switching layout that can be added to whenever.
Might even consider a smaller scale depending on how much you've got invested.
Okay that and a shed!

If I read right, you haven't built anything yet? If that's the case, you haven't "staked your claim", and you don't need to tear down anything or start over, so I'd say you aren't being too nice. And it sounds like the new area actually has a couple of advantages. Take the new area and make it YOURS......get that layout started so next time you can point out how much money would be wasted if you moved.

The question you need to ask yourself is, which is the better room to have a layout in? I know which would be the more pleasant. BUT, if you do move, make it plain that this is the last time, no change of minds, no if's or but's, that's it. Don't come whinging if you don't like the basement and don't expect me to pay to make it liveable, that's my layout money. Time to put the trousers on. Oh, and Happy wife, Happy life? That's a 10 minute thing.

Spoken like a man of experience (resigned experience)

Is there any other kind??? LOL! 19 years and the battles never end, I made SURE there were not going to be any competition for this space before I ever started! Thus heading off any hitches in the git-along! Cause once it was begun there was going to be NO stopping or moving or any claptrap!! It's BUILT and that's THAT! It will be here till the place falls down on it!

I'm going buy some lumber and build one modul for the bench work. Even thow I don't got a plan yet I was working on a plan when we first moved in and rember some of my measurement. With it built I going to say it built she have to deal with her choice. Hope buy this time next year to have all the benchwork built.

I am assuming that the room selection hasn't been made yet. At least you can get started on some modeling and work it into your final layout I hope.

Room been decided before I was asked to change not a big enough deal to start a fight. Though don't plan to move again. Am working on a grain elevator prepainting it then I'll build it.

Back